[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jimmy Smith Retires!

Huddled Masses

And I repeat: When has Jimmy ever had a 10-TD season?  If Smith is so much better than T.O., why was he riding the pine during his first two seasons?

he wasn't riding the pine, he was out with a broken leg and other medical problems.

Wrong again.  He's been a starter in 11 seasons and didn't catch a single ball in his first two. 

nope, he wasn't a starter until 1996. 1996-2005 is 10 seasons. he didn't catch a single ball the first two seasons because of the reasons listed above.

I'm not saying that T.O.'s definitely going to get into Canton, but he's certainly been more of an impact player over the course of his career than Jimmy Smith.

1465310[/snapback]

then how come jimmy stats dwarf TO's in every major statistical category but one despite actually playing the same number of years? :D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he wasn't riding the pine, he was out with a broken leg and other medical problems.

nope, he wasn't a starter until 1996.  1996-2005 is 10 seasons.  he didn't catch a single ball the first two seasons because of the reasons listed above. 

1465339[/snapback]

OK, so you're blaming his lack of production on health problems now. :D Maybe Rex Grossman could use that excuse when he's eligible for the HOF. :D

then how come jimmy stats dwarf TO's in every major statistical category but one despite actually playing the same number of years? :D

Nice try, but you can't selectively delete 1992-1995 to support your argument. Smith's career spanned 13 years, not 10. So, no, you can't compare their numbers.

Nice numbers but I don't think anybody thinks of him when they think of dominating wr's of his generation.

1462802[/snapback]

I couldn't help but make a comparison to Bettis in that regard:

Bettis

13 years in the league.

Top 10 in rushing yards 5 times (2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 9th, 9th).

Top 10 in rushing TDs four times (9th, 6th, 4th, 10th)

Smith

13 years in league (11 really due to injury)

Top 10 in receptions 3 times (7th, 1st, 2nd)

Top 10 in yards receiving 5 times (5th, 4th, 5th, 2nd, 4th)

OK, so you're blaming his lack of production on health problems now.  :D  Maybe Rex Grossman could use that excuse when he's eligible for the HOF.  :D

1465456[/snapback]

maybe so, if rex grossman turns in consistent pro-bowl-caliber play for the next 10 years ranking him among the top 10 all time in major statistical categories, despite injuries derailing the earliest part of his career.

maybe so, if rex grossman turns in consistent pro-bowl-caliber play for the next 10 years ranking him among the top 10 all time in major statistical categories, despite injuries derailing the earliest part of his career.

1465487[/snapback]

You're failing to grasp the concept that the game has changed significantly since the '80s, so where Jimmy Smith ranks among the Top 10 all-time WRs is irrelevant right now. What IS relevant is how he performed compared to his peers. And given that his peers include Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Michael Irvin, Andre Reed, Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, T.O., Isaac Bruce, and Torry Holt, there's no way that Jimmy Smith's getting into the HOF.

And given that his peers include Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Michael Irvin, Andre Reed, Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, T.O., Isaac Bruce, and Torry Holt, there's no way that Jimmy Smith's getting into the HOF.

1465523[/snapback]

with the exception of rice, carter, moss, and maybe harrison (i think "the stats" are a bit too friendly to harrison, given who's been throwing him the ball), jimmy smith can and his accomplishments can hang with ANY of those guys.

by the way, you forgot rod smith :D

with the exception of rice, carter, moss, and maybe harrison (i think "the stats" are a bit too friendly to harrison, given who's been throwing him the ball), jimmy smith can and his accomplishments can hang with ANY of those guys. 

1465583[/snapback]

Andre Reed, Tim Brown, and Marvin Harrison have already blown away Jimmy Smith statistically. Isaac Bruce will by the end of the year and both Randy and T.O. will surpass Jimmy in a couple more years. Holt almost certainly will in three more years.

Agreed that Smith is comparable to Michael Irvin, but without the three rings.

by the way, you forgot rod smith :D

Another example of a very-good-but-not-HOF-caliber player.

OK, so you're blaming his lack of production on health problems now.  :D  Maybe Rex Grossman could use that excuse when he's eligible for the HOF.  :D

Nice try, but you can't selectively delete 1992-1995 to support your argument.  Smith's career spanned 13 years, not 10.  So, no, you can't compare their numbers.

1465456[/snapback]

The point at which an debate is won is right before arguments like this are made.

Az -- winner!

Andre Reed, Tim Brown, and Marvin Harrison have already blown away Jimmy Smith statistically.  Isaac Bruce will by the end of the year and both Randy and T.O. will surpass Jimmy in a couple more years.  Holt almost certainly will in three more years.

1465611[/snapback]

So your argument is that we can only admit SOME of those WRs? Or all of them, but not Jimmy Smith?

There's a reason a bunch of active WRs are on pace to break a bunch of receiving records -- NFL teams never passed the ball this much. Smith's career, like Harrison's and Rod Smith's, spans the beginning of "The Era of the Wide Receiver." I don't think he should be punished for that.

I've come across that a couple of times during the offseason and I remembered it because it was a bit surprising to me as well.  Here is one blurb:

Recall that RW was the star of training camp last year and had a concussion that bothered him for a while. Maybe his college skills only appear on the practice field.

article

1462893[/snapback]

This from the Sporting News:

Matt Jones - WR, Jacksonville Jaguars

May 12, 4:44 p.m.

Jones opened practice Friday as the "X" receiver -- the spot Jimmy Smith filled the past 11 years with the Jaguars. Ernest Wilford started opposite Jones on Friday.

So...no one cares about the below?

This from the Sporting News:

Matt Jones - WR, Jacksonville Jaguars

May 12, 4:44 p.m.

Jones opened practice Friday as the "X" receiver -- the spot Jimmy Smith filled the past 11 years with the Jaguars. Ernest Wilford started opposite Jones on Friday.

1465969[/snapback]

Seems to be an important development to me. :D

So your argument is that we can only admit SOME of those WRs? Or all of them, but not Jimmy Smith?

1465961[/snapback]

Apparently you've lost your reading glasses.

There's a reason a bunch of active WRs are on pace to break a bunch of receiving records -- NFL teams never passed the ball this much. Smith's career, like Harrison's and Rod Smith's, spans the beginning of "The Era of the Wide Receiver." I don't think he should be punished for that.

Jimmy Smith isn't being "punished" for anything, you moron. He's not getting into the HOF beause (1) many of his peers put up much better numbers [Rice, Carter, Brown, Reed, Harrison, Bruce, Owens, etc.], (2) Smith never dominated the game at his position, and (3) he never played a large part in a Super Bowl (or even an AFC Championship) victory.

i already have, you dumb ass.

1467149[/snapback]

Um, no you haven't, dip$hit. And just about everybody agrees that Smith isn't going to get into the HOF, so you can stop arguing the point like a "raging ret@rd" now.

Edited by Bill Swerski

"I'm not saying that T.O.'s definitely going to get into Canton, but he's certainly been more of an impact player over the course of his career than Jimmy Smith."

An impact in what way?  Bringing every team that he's been on down?

1467153[/snapback]

How about actually scoring double-digit TDs in a season? Or being the "final piece of the puzzle" that got his team to the Super Bowl?

Apparently you've lost your reading glasses.

Jimmy Smith isn't being "punished" for anything, you moron. 

1467121[/snapback]

:D

Can you ever agree to disagree with anyone here and carry on a decent discussion about football without being a total annoying little mister?

Can you ever agree to disagree with anyone here and carry on a decent discussion about football without being a total annoying little mister?

1467215[/snapback]

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :D

BTW, I like the monikers you create for the purpose of insulting people incognito. Grow up.

Edited by Bill Swerski

in case you don't remember, the only postseason game TO played in for the eagles they lost.

1467251[/snapback]

This is a point that shouldn't be missed amongst the silliness -- the Eagles won their way to the superbowl in those playoffs WITHOUT TOad, then lost when he came back early, despite his stats ... the only stat that matters (see Roethlisberger, Ben) is the W/L stat ...

Wait wait wait, just a while ago someone said something interesting about one of the most talented WR's in NFL history. Who's this Smith guy? I think I may have heard of Bruce before. I can't figure out how the emphasis of this thread isn't based solely on how liberating the Jags must feel to finally have the chains removed, allowing them to have the freedom to showcase Reggie Williams the way a Reggie Williams needs to be showcased, without some long ago over-the-hill, ball crazy crackhead hogging all Reggie's rightful numbers.

Edited by Seahawks21