[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Allow me to brag ...

Grits and Shins

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an attempt to hijack but I heard something good about my youngest, at practice, tonite. He just turned 9, plays U10 soccer. His team is 4-1, they have scored 19 goals. Mike has 17 of them. My wife and I are of the opinion that he is not a ballhog, but we are his parents.

One of the other father's approached us, tonite, stating that not only was Mike as talented a player as he has seen, he is the least selfish "talented" player that he has ever come across.

Hats off to all the nine year olds that entertain us. :D

Not an attempt to hijack but I heard something good about my youngest, at practice, tonite.  He just turned 9, plays U10 soccer.  His team is 4-1, they have scored 19 goals.  Mike has 17 of them.  My wife and I are of the opinion that he is not a ballhog, but we are his parents.

One of the other father's approached us, tonite, stating that not only was Mike as talented a player as he has seen, he is the least selfish "talented" player that he has ever come across.

Hats off to all the nine year olds that entertain us. :D

1482069[/snapback]

:D

And a :D to those loud mouth parents who can't let the kids have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

A parent was making a breakfast of fried eggs for their teenage son. Suddenly the boy bursts into the kitchen.

"Careful! CAREFUL! Put in some more butter! Oh my goodness! You're cooking too many at once. TOO MANY! Turn them! TURN THEM NOW! We need more butter. Oh my! They're splattering, hurry cover them, COVER THEM, COOOOVVVEERRR THHEEEEMMM ALREADY.

Careful! CAREFUL! I said be CAREFUL!

You need to listen! Turn them! Hurry up! Are you CRAZY? Have you LOST your mind? Don't forget to salt them. You always forget to salt them.

Use the salt. USE THE SALT! THE SALT!"

The parent stared at him. "What's wrong with you? You think I don't know how to fry a couple of eggs?"

The son calmly replied, "So now you know what it feels like when I'm trying to play baseball."

My two daughters inherited my atheletic ability... :D

BUT they also inherited my talent for schoolwork, both above 4.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale!! One wants to be a lawyer, one a doctor...

My adopted son stinks at sports, but has survived an upbringing that would have broken anyone. His inner strength is amazing.

So let me brag on my kids too!

• 1 year later...

I couldn't resist and have to throw in a plug for my boys (9 and 5) here. For some odd reason they both took up ski jumping. The older one has been jumping about 15 months and the little guy has been jumping only about a month. And they're doing great!

We've been going to tournaments nearly every weekend this year and the older one has been finishing in the top 3 just about every time, beating out kids that have been jumping for 3 or more years. Last weekend he was just 1.5' short of setting a hill record and won the tournament. On smaller jumps (15M) he jumps around 13M and on bigger jumps he jumps about 22M. And the little guy finished on the podium last weekend in 3rd place after nailing his 3 jumps, too.

I know it seems kind of weird to have boys in jumping but we have a pretty active club with two former Olympians coaching them. The reigning Junior National Champ is also on our team and has a good shot at the '10 Winter Olympics. It's pretty awesome watching all these little dare devils zooming down these incredibly tall towers and flying through the air for as long as 4 seconds.

Here's a few shots of the little goobers.

The older boy going down the inrun.

View of a 60M jump.

Jumpers queued up on top of 30M jump platform.

Edited by Gameday

My three sons are all hung like pack mules. :wacko:

Wasn't that the original name for the show until they shortened it to just "My Three Sons"?

And is that good or bad? I've never looked at a pack mule's junk. . .

I couldn't resist and have to throw in a plug for my boys (9 and 5) here. For some odd reason they both took up ski jumping. The older one has been jumping about 15 months and the little guy has been jumping only about a month. And they're doing great!

Ski jumping?!? Dude, your kids must have balls like dinosaurs. :wacko:

Congrats Grits. I won't hijack here, but suffice it to say that I'm the proud dad for a stellar U10 boys all stars soccer player. Most important stat to me: besides the 5-0-2 record, they have 26 'Goals For' and only 2 'Goals Against'. Yep, my son plays mostly fullback and a little goalie, and doesn't mind a bit that he hasn't scored yet all season. 'Defense wins championships', we (and the coaches) like to say...

Kids sports are fun, IF (a big IF) you don't blow it for them. I'm learning to keep my big mouth shut, and just smile a lot, but its hard sometimes....

Congrats Grits. I won't hijack here, but suffice it to say that I'm the proud dad for a stellar U10 boys all stars soccer player. Most important stat to me: besides the 5-0-2 record, they have 26 'Goals For' and only 2 'Goals Against'. Yep, my son plays mostly fullback and a little goalie, and doesn't mind a bit that he hasn't scored yet all season. 'Defense wins championships', we (and the coaches) like to say...

Kids sports are fun, IF (a big IF) you don't blow it for them. I'm learning to keep my big mouth shut, and just smile a lot, but its hard sometimes....

His original post is almost two years old. :wacko: Btw Grits, we need an update. How's the softball team doing, are we still #2 catcher, #1 CF?

Coffee, your post rings true. Keep my mouth shut and support the young lads. I still have to fire them up sometimes otherwise he'll coast and not give 100%. There is a fine line.

Ski jumping?!? Dude, your kids must have balls like dinosaurs. :wacko:

heh, heh, well, I probably shouldn't comment on that. But, they have no idea that what they're doing is a bit risky. I did see some pretty spectacular crashes so far. Last weekend a young girl was being interviewed at the hill by a TV station and she was just beaming as she described what is was like being the first female jumper at her club to go off the 60M hill. Two hours later she was being whisked away with a broken ankle, broken wrist, and missing skin from her cheek. This weekend there is a mommy competition and my wife is jumping off the 5M hill (very small). She's not a skier and has never jumped. This should be interesting. I'll take pics and post 'em if there are any fantastic crashes.

. . . Keep my mouth shut and support the young lads. I still have to fire them up sometimes otherwise he'll coast and not give 100%. There is a fine line.

This is why I love ski jumping. I have no experience and no advice to give so I have no choice but to keep quiet. It's pretty cool seeing the boys have a sport that is 'theirs' without worrying about trying to live up to my expectations. The last few years I had the older boy in wrestling and I helped coach. I used to wrestle so you can only imagine how overbearing I was. My son hated every minute of it, and I didn't enjoy coaching him, either.

Wasn't that the original name for the show until they shortened it to just "My Three Sons"?

And is that good or bad? I've never looked at a pack mule's junk. . .

:wacko: Sheik is en fuego this week

:wacko: Sheik is en fuego this week

I'm bolstering my campaign for Newbie of the Year. . .I want to be the first ever 3rd year Huddler to win it. So far my resume includes getting H8 pissed off to the point of suspension, crapping all over Keggerz's livelihood and cooking up some mean cuban pork.

I'm stumping for votes!!

• 1 year later...
heh, heh, well, I probably shouldn't comment on that. But, they have no idea that what they're doing is a bit risky. I did see some pretty spectacular crashes so far. Last weekend a young girl was being interviewed at the hill by a TV station and she was just beaming as she described what is was like being the first female jumper at her club to go off the 60M hill. Two hours later she was being whisked away with a broken ankle, broken wrist, and missing skin from her cheek. This weekend there is a mommy competition and my wife is jumping off the 5M hill (very small). She's not a skier and has never jumped. This should be interesting. I'll take pics and post 'em if there are any fantastic crashes.

Guys, I know I don't post much but I've been visiting (and lurking) in the Huddle for many years. Anyways, I had posted previously in this thread about my boy's ski jumping. He's still doing that, and finished 5th in his age group for the whole midwest this year (3 of the kids ahead of him went on to the Junior Olympics), but two weeks ago the coolest thing happened. Without any training he decided he wanted to run the 5 mile Crazy Legs run in Madison with me. Neither of us trained and the little goober beat me by about a minute and a half. He's 10 and I'm 50. His time was 42 minutes. At the end of the run he was teary eyed, his legs were wobbly, and he thought he was going to puke. Here he is.. This is a memory I'll keep forever.

Guys, I know I don't post much but I've been visiting (and lurking) in the Huddle for many years. Anyways, I had posted previously in this thread about my boy's ski jumping. He's still doing that, and finished 5th in his age group for the whole midwest this year (3 of the kids ahead of him went on to the Junior Olympics), but two weeks ago the coolest thing happened. Without any training he decided he wanted to run the 5 mile Crazy Legs run in Madison with me. Neither of us trained and the little goober beat me by about a minute and a half. He's 10 and I'm 50. His time was 42 minutes. At the end of the run he was teary eyed, his legs were wobbly, and he thought he was going to puke. Here he is.. This is a memory I'll keep forever.

:wacko: Keep making memories :D

Well, since this was re-visited, my 8yr old struck out the side last night with bases loaded in a tight game. Granted, they're 8, but that was still pretty f'ing cool. I consider myself to be a good athlete, but I think he's gonna have me beat hands-down. Now my 5yr old... who knows?