[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

define the relationship?!?!?!

wcd480

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, it's fine. You won't offend me. :D

Ok, so it is about the context. If he would have said "Man, I love this girl." would "this girl" be a demeaning term? I don't think so, simply because of the way the sentence was intended. I believe that language was intended to communicate thought. If a particular word conveys a certain thought, I look at the thought behind the language more than the word itself. Words simply mean things, so the thing is of the utmost importance.

The word "girl" is neither good, or bad. It is simply a word that people use to convey a variety of different thoughts. "She's just a girl." and "What a cool girl" are two totally different meanings, and to lump both into the same category simply because they used the same word just doesn't make much sense to me, frankly.

(can you tell I've been admonished for this in the past?)

update?

OK, now for the conclusion to my little saga. Sorry, for the delay, my work has gotten in the way of my huddling this morning. It didn't turn out to be the long agonizing conversation that I was anticipating. I guess the last girl woman female I dated had me worried it would turn out that way. In that situation we had a similiar talk which lasted several hours and seemed to reasured her but made me think "Damn this female is crazy".

This time around it went extremely smoothly. She just wanted to know what I was thinking about our situation. I didn't really try the Jedi question switcharoo on her, I just laid it out and told her I liked her a lot, that I care about her and that I haven't had any interest in seeing anyone else since we started dating. She more or less said the same thing. We talked about what we expected once our new work/school situations roll around, and made it clear to each other that our time will be limited but we still want to make the effort. All in all it was 20 minutes tops and made me like her even more becasue it wasn't a painful experience what-so-ever.

edit: for stupid spelling errors and to say " I really like this girl"

It went smoothy because you said what she wanted to hear. :D

it went extremely smoothly. She just wanted to know what I was thinking about our situation. I didn't really try the Jedi question switcharoo on her, I just laid it out and told her I liked her a lot, that I care about her and that I haven't had any interest in seeing anyone else since we started dating. She more or less said the same thing. We talked about what we expected once our new work/school situations roll around, and made it clear to each other that our time will be limited but we still want to make the effort.

Well, she certainly sounds like a keeper. :D

Ok, so it is about the context. If he would have said "Man, I love this girl." would "this girl" be a demeaning term? I don't think so, simply because of the way the sentence was intended. I believe that language was intended to communicate thought. If a particular word conveys a certain thought, I look at the thought behind the language more than the word itself. Words simply mean things, so the thing is of the utmost importance.

You're giving me this sentence out of any context. You are you? Who is this "girl"? What is your relationship?

If you say that to your brother after your wife or SO did something to make you particularly happy, then I doubt anyone would consider it demeaning.

If you say that to your client about what a good job your secretary did organizing a file, then it would likely be considered demeaning.

The word "girl" is neither good, or bad. It is simply a word that people use to convey a variety of different thoughts. "She's just a girl." and "What a cool girl" are two totally different meanings, and to lump both into the same category simply because they used the same word just doesn't make much sense to me, frankly.

Agreed. That's why I said it is about context.

I told you the feminist thing is my gig here. Anytime any man refers to a broad who is over 18 as a "girl," I'm gonna comment on it. I have a rep to protect.

You're giving me this sentence out of any context. You are you? Who is this "girl"? What is your relationship?

If you say that to your brother after your wife or SO did something to make you particularly happy, then I doubt anyone would consider it demeaning.

If you say that to your client about what a good job your secretary did organizing a file, then it would likely be considered demeaning.

I told you the feminist thing is my gig here. Anytime any man refers to a broad who is over 18 as a "girl," I'm gonna comment on it. I have a rep to protect.

Cool. We're on the same page here.

I've got no problem with the feminist thing. None at all. Sexist pigs annoy me. Words, however, do not.

You debate like a girl.