[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dogs and the lessons they can teach.

PantherDave

A puppy can teach a child responsibility and nurturing, and an adult dog friendship and unconditional love, and the elderly dog-death. Our oldest dog Kelsey is dying from cancer and it's a life lesson for our girls and we are torn now between putting her down or medicating and letting her go here at home on her bed. We will have the vet come to the house if we decide to put her down so she can go at home. We are using this time to teach the girls about death and sickness and the ravages of time, or just getting old. I will miss her greatly, as I've known her for as long as I've known Mrs.PD, as she was her dog when we meet. She has been a part of my life for over 10 years now and her time has come, and or Black Lab-Cody knows it to, as he will let her eat outta his bowl, which he has never done before-very touching. It's part of the cycle and it's her time as she's 12 years old-so I raise my brew to Kelsey :D , and thank her for being a good dog and somewhat of mother as well for the girls. I will not let her suffer but it's still hard to imagine she won't be here much longer after over a decade of love and compainionship-Peace PD.

A puppy can teach a child responsibility and nurturing, and an adult dog friendship and unconditional love, and the elderly dog-death. Our oldest dog Kelsey is dying from cancer and it's a life lesson for our girls and we are torn now between putting her down or medicating and letting her go here at home on her bed. We will have the vet come to the house if we decide to put her down so she can go at home. We are using this time to teach the girls about death and sickness and the ravages of time, or just getting old. I will miss her greatly, as I've known her for as long as I've known Mrs.PD, as she was her dog when we meet. She has been a part of my life for over 10 years now and her time has come, and or Black Lab-Cody knows it to, as he will let her eat outta his bowl, which he has never done before-very touching. It's part of the cycle and it's her time as she's 12 years old-so I raise my brew to Kelsey :D , and thank her for being a good dog and somewhat of mother as well for the girls. I will not let her suffer but it's still hard to imagine she won't be here much longer after over a decade of love and compainionship-Peace PD.

Tough stuff PD. Hang in there/Peace.

PD...........my heart goes out to you. Our first dog, Cissy, was a great dog. She was 3 when RR juniorette was born. She got cancer twice (8 & ~10yo). RR juniorette used to comfort her during her bad times. Needless to say, they were VERY close. Around 1991 we were getting ready to go to Disney world . Cissy was acting strange. She was chewing things, peeing in the house, something she NEVER DID, and just had a spacey look in her eyes. She was 15.5 yo. and the Mrs. and I knew she had to be put down. RR juniorette protested that she couldn't enjoy going to Disney world knowing her dog was sick and dying. We put her down 2 days before we left as it was the right thing to do. We all sat around the kitchen table that nite crying our eyes out, but remembering what a great dog she was. I think that set an example/positive life experience for RR juniorette! 10 years later we had to put down our next dog upon returning from a trip. RR juniorette was 22yo then. She could not be in the room for the put-down, but again we all sat around the table crying and remembering Hershey! Nilly (7yo), our present dog is a whack, but I know the kitchen table crying routine is in our future!

It can be a personality/character builder for your girls. I gotta go. Tears are welling up.

Peace PD! My empathy is w/ you.

So sorry to hear it PD. Its great to see you be there for your old friend that has been there for you all these years. Take care. Peace.

Thanks for the kind words and I've been preparing myself, but it will be a black day in the PD household. I'm going to make sure Cody(Black Lab) get's some special attention for awhile since Kelsey's been there his whole life. My big buddy is 8 now and will be 9 in December and I picked him as puppy when he was three months old and of course this has shed the light that he is next in a few more years. That will be especially tuff for me since he rides in the truck and boat with me and such-once again thank you.

I wish you and the girls the best. :D

My two sister black labs I've had since 6 weeks old are like that. They look after each other and teach the others what to do (and not to do). I remember when I brought them home and one couldn't figure out the stairs and would watch the other one and learn how to do it.

I'm dreading the day when one has to go since they're now 11. :D

Again, best wishes.