[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cell Phone in Swimming Pool

Dutch Oven

My daughter dropped my cell in the pool yesterday, of course I don't have the insurance. I had the Razr and a new one is going to be about $250.00 at the Cingular store. I'm already under contract so I can't sign up for new service. Does anyone know where I can get one cheaper?

I would be curious as to where to buy a new cell phone fairly cheap. I assume EBAY will be one response.

I just have an old phone and am locked in for another 10 months or so and just want to upgrade my antique phone.

I have a T-Mobile contract.

I would be curious as to where to buy a new cell phone fairly cheap. I assume EBAY will be one response.

I just have an old phone and am locked in for another 10 months or so and just want to upgrade my antique phone.

You can always upgrade via additional years of servitude.

Edited by jetsfan

I thought Razrs were down to $70...is that only with a new contract?

That's with a new contract. If you f*ck up a phone, aren't eligible for an upgrade, they bone you retail for the phone, which is extremely high. Insurance people, pay the 4 bucks a month, I think they cover almost all damage, even water, depending on the carrier.

That's with a new contract. If you f*ck up a phone, aren't eligible for an upgrade, they bone you retail for the phone, which is extremely high. Insurance people, pay the 4 bucks a month, I think they cover almost all damage, even water, depending on the carrier.

Insurance is always a good investment, IM(unbiased)HO. :D

But hindsight is 20/20, so to help now, try ebay and so-called 'refurbished' electronics sites such as www.refurbdepot.com. I was skeptical at first, but after reading the info on why some items cannot legally be sold as new, even though they basically are, I took the plunge on a Sony Handycam for half off retail (on another site actually,) and its fine.

Good luck.

Edited by Coffeeman

What's the penalty for dropping the service and then signing up w/ them again or a different service? Could be cheaper.

Bear has good advice. Let it dry out for several days. Thatr could work, but if you already tried to see if it works, while wet, it's probably fried. DON'T use a hair dryer or a microwave to speed it up! :D

yup the bear knows... he drops his fishen for salmon al the time

F'n salmon. Throw a perfectly good bass lure into the water and the f'kers keep hitting it. :D

Yep, just dried off my Treo from last week's 'adventure'...forgot I had it in my pocket and went in to retrieve one of my lures that had broken off. I've had to swim down and get them before when I forget about them in my shirt pocket...they just slip out and bounce overboard when you bend over. Usually just let them sit somewhere dry and warm for about a day or two and they are good to go...

More than likely the phone is shot and then Ebay would be your best bet on getting a decent deal.

I had someone told me that they set it under a desk lamp w/ a 40watt bulb for 3 days to dry it. They claimed that worked.

Someone I work with said they dropped their phone in water and then put it in the freezer. He said it when in the freezer the water is pulled away from the mother board of the phone when it freezes. I have never tried this. I have always been interested in seeing if it really worked or not but I haven't dropped my phone in water yet. I don't know how putting a phone in a freezer could possibly fix it but then again if the phone is shot otherwise it may be worth trying.

Also, you are better off taking off the battery right away. Do not try to turn the phone on until you think it is dry. If you turn it on or attempt to turn the phone on while it is wet it will fry it almost every time.

Edited by max

More than likely the phone is shot and then Ebay would be your best bet on getting a decent deal.

I had someone told me that they set it under a desk lamp w/ a 40watt bulb for 3 days to dry it. They claimed that worked.

Someone I work with said they dropped their phone in water and then put it in the freezer. He said it when in the freezer the water is pulled away from the mother board of the phone when it freezes. I have never tried this. I have always been interested in seeing if it really worked or not but I haven't dropped my phone in water yet. I don't know how putting a phone in a freezer could possibly fix it but then again if the phone is shot otherwise it may be worth trying.

Also, you are better off taking off the battery right away. Do not try to turn the phone on until you think it is dry. If you turn it on or attempt to turn the phone on while it is wet it will fry it almost every time.

I don't have much insight to add other than I can't imagine putting the phone is the freezer is a good thing, with water expanding and all.

Bingo. Guy at work got his razor off of ebay and just switched out the sim card. fairly cheap.

LOL, always buy the insurance. You should know by now that women screw up everything. My wife has lost one phone and dropped the other in the pool. I have to laugh when people don't pay for the insurance unless it is a cheap cheap phone, why get the top of the line phone in a promo and then not buy the insurance when the phone costs as much as the contract termination? :shakeshead: :D

LOL, always buy the insurance. You should know by now that women screw up everything. My wife has lost one phone and dropped the other in the pool. I have to laugh when people don't pay for the insurance unless it is a cheap cheap phone, why get the top of the line phone in a promo and then not buy the insurance when the phone costs as much as the contract termination? :shakeshead: :D

I've bought more than my share of "Extended Warranties". In the long run the company issuing it is usually the only one that benefits from them.

I've bought more than my share of "Extended Warranties". In the long run the company issuing it is usually the only one that benefits from them.

Cell phones are just about the only thing I buy the "extended warranty" for. It's paid for itself many times over.