[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Order

For 13 years now we have gone into our draft not knowing what draft position we will have. The only one that knows is the winner of the previous year's Toilet Bowl winner. We just do a draw numbers out of a hat for everyone else. I have had a few complaints over the years about the format, but never anything that made us change. Just curious how most other leagues decide draft positions.

Depends if it is a keeper or not.

If a redraft, then ALL teams should get a random spot. Why reward a guy for sucking the year before when the previous season has absolutely no bearing on the current season. My personal preference is to have teams do a random draw, say number out of a hat, and whomever gets #1 gets to choose their draft position, then #2 chooses their spot and so on with thelast person getting whichever slot is left open.

If a keeper, then the previus year's results should have some bearing on the draft order, but how much affect really depends on how many keepers, etc.

For 13 years now we have gone into our draft not knowing what draft position we will have. The only one that knows is the winner of the previous year's Toilet Bowl winner. We just do a draw numbers out of a hat for everyone else. I have had a few complaints over the years about the format, but never anything that made us change. Just curious how most other leagues decide draft positions.

I agree with BG's statement on keeper league and then will add this link. Dice Server

Quick explanation is highest roll either gets 1st/last or his choice and so forth...

Well the first 2 years in our league were random then this year will be the first year as a keeper league so now the order will be reverse of the previous year. The S@#^ Bowl guy will be 1st overall and the Superbowl guy will be last. So on and so on

redraft leagues should be random, and i like to know what my pick is prior to the draft so i have some time to strategize a bit (which only really applies to the 1st and maybe 2nd rounds, since no one ever picks who i think they should ...)

We are in a ten team league.....The Super Bowl Winner automatically drafts 10th....The 4 teams that don't make the playoffs get picks 1-4, repsectively (based on records, points, etc). The 6 teams that did make the playoffs draft position is picked out of a hat.

We then do the serpentine (10th picks 1st; ninth picks 2nd) and so forth for round two.

The randomly pick for round 3; serpentine for 4; randomly pick for 5; serpentine and so on and so on.

league is made up of bunch of college buddies, so we get together for cookout during summer, months before draft, and pick draft order. excuse to get together; plus know in advance draft order to plan accordingly. Thus far has worked great...

Try this...say for a 10 team league. Take a deck of cards, take out one set(diamonds etc) lay out 1-10 face down, now take another set 1-10(spades etc). lay them face down as well. Now the person who finished last the previous year goes to the first 10 cards laid down(the diamonds) and he/she picks a card and it's the 4 of diamonds-well that means they get to pick 4th from the spades that are laid down etc. Keep this up until all the picking order for the spades is in order, now the person with the 1 of diamonds goes to the face down spades and draws say the 6 of spades-that person picks 6th. It works for us and with two elements of chance it takes away the bitching

Try this...say for a 10 team league. Take a deck of cards, take out one set(diamonds etc) lay out 1-10 face down, now take another set 1-10(spades etc). lay them face down as well. Now the person who finished last the previous year goes to the first 10 cards laid down(the diamonds) and he/she picks a card and it's the 4 of diamonds-well that means they get to pick 4th from the spades that are laid down etc. Keep this up until all the picking order for the spades is in order, now the person with the 1 of diamonds goes to the face down spades and draws say the 6 of spades-that person picks 6th. It works for us and with two elements of chance it takes away the bitching

when do you double the blinds?

If a redraft it should be totallyrandom for everyone every year. I like the dice server in an earlier post. Should only be allowed to pick position no tradeing of draft picks till everyone has their slot in the draft. Should be a few weeks before the draft so people can make their trades of picks if trading picks is allowed.

I am in a redraft league where we choose our draft order based on last year's standings beginning with the toilet bowl winner. I like it because it keeps teams interested even when they are out of playoff contention. The Toilet bowl teams have more to fight for.

Random works too, but I prefer the format we use.

I am in a redraft league where we choose our draft order based on last year's standings beginning with the toilet bowl winner. I like it because it keeps teams interested even when they are out of playoff contention. The Toilet bowl teams have more to fight for.

Random works too, but I prefer the format we use.

Then by all means use it, but I like a new order every year. We use a dice server and have everyone roll dice on the net and email the results to the commish, who emails his to another player. That way everyone has a hand in getting the top pick.

keepers and dynasty, we do worst to first.

Redrafts we draw out of a hat (or some other random method) and the first drawn choses his draft position, the second drawn choses from the remaining, the third from what remains - until the last guy who gets stuck with what's left

It is a redraft, so the random format does work well. We usually pick from one stack of cards, but this adds another layer of suspense. I'll give it a shot this year.

• 2 weeks later...

We use the outcomes of one/more sporting events that occur during the spring/early summer to determine the drafting order. This year, for example, each team's draft position is based on the outcomes of the world cup. Each fantasy team (14 team league) was given $100 phony to buy world cup teams based on odds of nation winning the world cup -- better teams cost more (e.g., Brazil $80), worse teams cost less (e.g., US $20). From there, points awarded to you based on wins of bought teams. We had some tiebreakers in place.

Fantasy team that got the most points for their $100 gets to choose the draft pick he wants..Fantasy team that got the 2nd most points for his $100 gets to 2nd choice at which draft pick he wants...etc. That adds a little xtra spice for year's when picks 4-10 offer now measure difference and the guys with the 4th pick (otherwise) would like to have the 10th pick...

Recordkeeping is an xtra effort for the commish, but he's an accountant and loves spreadsheets. So we humor him and if, nothing else, it extends the banter.

Edited by alphas

Here's an idea that I would really like my league to adopt after this year, every owner participates in The Huddle MVP Challenge. The team with the best record after this year's MVP Challenge will pick first in next year's fantasy draft. This will go on until all ten owners have a draft position. What do you guys think?