[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RB/RB vs RB/WR

Not sure if these were posted, but a couple of very interesting reads regarding strategy for draft day....with so many RBBC situations, and solid #2 RBs available, here a couple articles that say a new strategy is needed to succeed:

http://www.fanball.com/buzz/article.cfm?id=6870

http://www.fanball.com/buzz/article.cfm?id=6897

Thoughts?

Bump...but only because I think anyone with an upcoming draft should take a look at some non-traditional views.

I have used this strategy for several years, and while there have been hiccups in taking a WR early (most notably, Moss), it has worked to my advantage when drafting late in the 1st round.

Bump...but only because I think anyone with an upcoming draft should take a look at some non-traditional views.

I have used this strategy for several years, and while there have been hiccups in taking a WR early (most notably, Moss), it has worked to my advantage when drafting late in the 1st round.

Exactly: it's only useful when you're on the back end of the draft, and even then, only assuming a high-quality #2 RB doesn't fall to you somehow.

Edited by yo mama

Exactly: it's only useful when you're on the back end of the draft, and even then, only assuming a high-quality #2 RB doesn't fall to you somehow.

On the money...I would have to think hard about this strategy in a 12-team league, and probably dismiss it in a 16-team league, since you wouldn't get your third pick until #48, by which time you'd be hard-pressed to find a decent #2RB.

But in 8 or 10-team leagues, where you 2nd RB would probably be an Rb ranked somewhere between 18-24, it definitely makes sense to gain an advantage over your competitors by taking a top WR.

On the money...I would have to think hard about this strategy in a 12-team league, and probably dismiss it in a 16-team league, since you wouldn't get your third pick until #48, by which time you'd be hard-pressed to find a decent #2RB.

But in 8 or 10-team leagues, where you 2nd RB would probably be an Rb ranked somewhere between 18-24, it definitely makes sense to gain an advantage over your competitors by taking a top WR.

Agreed.

Peterson's article (the second one) echos my sentiments and falls in line with what I'm consistently seeing in 12 team mock drafts. Prior to this year, only 3 to 5 WRs were off the board by the end of the second round. Now it's 7 to 8 (Smith, TO, Johnson, Holt, Harrison, Moss, Boldin, Fitzgerald). Manning is usally off the board as well, so let's call it an average of 16 RBs, 7 WRs, and 1 QB.

Prior to this season, I liked picking at the top of the order because you could usually get a Tier 1 back for your RB1, one of the last Tier 2 backs for your RB2, and Tier 1 WR. Not anymore. By the end of the 2/3 swing, the Tier 1 WRs are usually gone.

Good articles...

...I've got the 10-11 swing...and I think I'll opt for these scenarios...(written in sand of course)...

1) grab a solid back at 10 (Rudi) and Steve Smith (over TO (too risky) or Chad (will Carson be ready?)).

or, if some bone head drafts P.Manning and or one of the WRs ahead of my picks --

(2) I'll grab which ever RBs are falling -- hopefully get a pair like Ronnie and Rudi... or Lamont and Rudi...

Sounds pretty standard...for the 10 slot from what I can pick up on the board...the 3-4 turn will go RB/WR under scenario 1, or WR/WR under scenario 2 (unless Gates fall for some unrealistic reason)...

This seems to be the trend this year. Great advice for 8-10 Team Leagues. I have completed about a dozen mocks so far using this exact approach and in almost all cases it worked out pretty good. In a couple of mocks it actually triggered the WR runs and left me with pretty good options at 30 and 31. I draft 10th in my local so that has been my draft position in all mocks. I can only hope that Gates falls but in most mocks I have come back and got a good RB2 and a Upside/Great WR2 like Roy, Chambers or D-Jax. That's a pretty good first 4 picks. Top 10 RB, Good RB2 like FWP, Reuben or KJ, THE TOP WR (Smith/TO) and one of the 3 mentioned earlier as my WR2. Funny in more than 1/2 of my mocks someone has taken Manning or Smith/TO with their 1st Pick leaving me a Very Good RB1. That's ok cuz someone in my local always does the same thing, so it makes it even more realistic...LOL....Even in my 10 Team League, I would be tempted to get that RB2 if 2 teams did not select a RB in the 1st Round, but this year we implementd a WR Flex Position to allow 1 starting RB and 3 WR's. Most week you will start 2 RB's and 2 WR's but the last couple of years other owners were upset because of RBBC and/or Injuries and not having enough RB's to cover their rosters or bye weeks so we voted on this but still kept mandatory TE as not to de-value that position. So not getting a Top WR could leave slim pickens by 3rd or 4th round. :D

Great thread. I did read these articles before. I agree in my 10 man league I should have LT at the second pick, and instead of picking d davis,westbrook in the 2nd(if they last) I will prob go best WR on the board then grab a RB in the third, if everything goes as planned.

I agree with both the articles...there are some question marks outside of the top 4 running backs... especially in my league which is 12 teams and we have to start three running backs and only two running backs....while everyone else is nabbing two running backs you can easily get a stud WR or possible two. The way I see things...there is always a running back that emerges out of nowhere with injuries... Last year I took Deuce McCallister with my first round pick at #10 but in the next two rounds got Steve Smith and then Torry Holt.... yes it helped that I got Carson Palmer late.... but worse case scenario even if you get two stud WRs early you can always trade one of them for a stud running back....especially to see how a lot of these running back by committees pan out.

:D

good articles. can't disagree with the logic. i think of it in terms of impact players. i do put portis in that category this season, but after that, it is somewhat of a crapshoot. i'm not as high on ronnie brown as others, but i do believe sjax and rudi to be solid.

it comes down to paying attention to who is going where in the draft and being ready to grab an impact player at another position before taking one of many players who are in the same situation at a given position. if there are 5 like backs out there and you will get one on the turnaround, take the top TE, WR, or QB and pick the other one up later. i use this thinking all through the draft, moving down the tiers for each position.