[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

more stuff on Rivers

Avernus

Last night was actually pedestrian for PR. Half the misses were drops, or VJ failing to tap his 2nd foot on the '1st' TD pass. I'm obviously another homer, but last night didn't surprise me. Philip's only weakness is rolling left and throwing against his body. He'll work on that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must agree Rivers looked good but I also think GB may be that bad.

Wise observation.

Friday night at " Da-Bears" , Rivers gets a true test in the first half. If he does reasonably well against the Chicago D then the bandwagon will be over flowing.

Yep. I'll be interested to see how he does against the Bears as well.

Philip's only weakness is rolling left and throwing against his body. He'll work on that.

Em, that's a weakness for, oh, EVERY QB. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

For those that said "it might be less Rivers being good than GB being bad", I think there is much truth in that comment.

One thing I think about the Pack is that their frontline players are decent enough, but once they start getting into the 2nd string... :shudder:

I have met both of these guys, Leaf and Rivers.

They are sooooo different it is undescribable.

Leaf was a d!ck from day one, Rivers is LOVED by his teammates!

I agree with the earlier statement that Brees was a hinderance to this team. He lacked the arm to make defenses respect any type of downfiels attack. When 9 out of ten balls over 30 yards made the receivers have to slow down or even stop, there was not a lot of reason to play off.

Rivers arm and the ability to throw deep to some young fast dudes (see V. Jackson on your waiver wire peeps) AND the out will open things up for LT and make him an even better performer this year. More field space to work his magic.

Never mind... I'm just a homer! :D

Edited by McBoog

I only have one thing to say.

Pray that Rivers never gets hurt, because if Charlie Whitehurst EVER manages to get in a game ahead of Feely, you are screeeeeeeewed.

Edited by CD6405

I only have one thing to say.

Pray that Rivers never gets hurt, because if Charlie Whitehurst EVER manages to get in a game ahead of Feely, you are screeeeeeeewed.

:D:D Shut yo' mouth Willis! :D:D

!0-4! :D

lol, I'm not just saying that because I got to college at SC and hate Clemson.

I'm saying it because I USED to be a Clemson fan until I attended college, and he was rough to watch. All my friends at Clemson wanted him gone because the backup Willy Proctor was much better.

Maybe he will prove everyone wrong and be great in the NFL. Who knows?

my take on drafting him is...

if my RB's and WR's are solid enough I will try to take 3 QB's as our roster requirements will allow me to do this.....and I will then package a QB in as a trade after things play out...

the likely scenario is I take Delhomme and be happy with that....and then wait extra longer to take Rivers as my #2 as Delhomme's bye week isn't until week 9 where Rivers plays Cleveland, who I consider to be a pretty good defense this year....but I see Rivers gaining momentum after about week 5 or 6 where his schedule lightens up....

not a bad bye week fill in...

I took Eli as my #1 and backed him up with Rivers late in a draft last night. We'll see how he continues to do, I figured I'd give him a shot, but I completely disagree that SD will cake walk through the AFC West and there doesn't need to be any supporting facts for that argument.

He could have played right off the bat for the Chargers as well, but lit a fire under Brees and pretty much salvaged Drew's career by his mere presence.

What a great thought PD. You guys are making me a believer and thinking he'd be a good, cheap backup (auction league).

What a great thought PD. You guys are making me a believer and thinking he'd be a good, cheap backup (auction league).

my league might change over to a keeper at the last minute....

I was set on drafting him around round 10 or later....

now I'm all fouled up as to where I may draft him...

Shottenheimer madkes the personal decisions there? I could swear he doesn't, and that's the problem going on in SD right now.

AJ Smith is pulling the strings in San Diego, and he's looking like a genius after drafting Merriman and Castillo last year, and passing on colossal bust Gallery in '04.

His decision to let Brees walk and hand the reins to Rivers looks like a brillant move thus far.

OK, gotcha. I agree, they were and still would have been a SB contender. The organization, for whateer reason, just seemed dead set on getting rid of him. It's not even like he had a huge cap number.

Brees' contract was up. His cap number in 2006 is over ~ $10MM. That's "huge".

Sorry to keep pickin' on you bro - but you're obviously biased and quite uninformed. Can't say I blame you - not much reason to keep up with the NFL these days if you're a Raider fan.

AJ Smith is pulling the strings in San Diego, and he's looking like a genius after drafting Merriman and Castillo last year, and passing on colossal bust Gallery in '04.

His decision to let Brees walk and hand the reins to Rivers looks like a brillant move thus far.

easy big fella. Promising? yah. Brilliant?..it's kinda early to be asking AJ to babysit your kids, isn't it?

edit: and for the record, I'm very impressed with PR thus far, and would LOVE for Brees to be a bust in NO, because I'm a panthers fan, and can't afford another challenge in my division...

Edited by LooGie

easy big fella. Promising? yah. Brilliant?..it's kinda early to be asking AJ to babysit your kids, isn't it?

edit: and for the record, I'm very impressed with PR thus far, and would LOVE for Brees to be a bust in NO, because I'm a panthers fan, and can't afford another challenge in my division...

Merriman was a steal at #12 overall - if the draft was held today he'd go #1, and Luis Castillo would go top 10. AJ hit homers with both.

AJ called the Giants bluff in '04, and took Eli anyway, forcing the Giants to give up the motherload, when he could have done the "safe" thing and taken Gallery. Fantastic move.

AJ signed Gates as an undrafted FA, and now he's a top 5 receiving threat in the NFL at age 25, and is locked up for the next 5 years to a fantastic contract.

Early peeps at Rivers are extremely positive, and if it weren't for Rivers blowing everyone away in training camp, Antonio Cromartie would be all the rage - he's looked like an absolute monster in the defensive backfield in training camp.

I'm a homer, but I challenge anyone to compete with AJ's record with regard to drafting, player development, and cap management the past 3 years. It's been nothing short of brilliant.