[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any Card Collectors here?

MrTed46

i enjoyed collecting as a kid and jumped back in when my son was 9-10 for 2yrs....

there's way to many brands available which makes it nuts what to decide on :D

SP Authenic was the cats ass but very expensive

i finally narrowed my collecting down to autographs of my favorite players and just buy them on Ebay.

SPX is a nice card, just gonna take alot of lookin to see what look ya like.......

i'm currently workin an all white receivers collection to save money and piss off friends..... :D proehl,largent ,dwight, berlin,Fred, maynard, etc...............

• 2 years later...
I want to get into collecting football cards every season (starting this season).

I am curious does anyone here do it? Which brands are good to get into?

I am looking to buy SPX brand but they are expensive.

Any insight would be great.

Hey, did you ever get into this? I have a ton of cards I'm looking to dump. :wacko:

my as* is still up, insomnia....but my hubby is a huge football card collector, he has so many, piling up in my closet and attic...he talks about those SP's, now he's on the red ink kick----guys that sign in red ink, supposedly worth more now...just collect what you like, your favorite team, that's my best advice

I never started. All my buddies talked me out of it.

Likely a smart idea. I had a bunch from when I was a kid and had some friends in college who were into it, so when I went home one weekend, I brought all my stuff back with me. Encouraged by how much my old stuff was worth, I got back into it. Problem was, it had already gotten so commercial that things were speculated up. Further, there was a glut of newer companies jumping in. I ended up buying new cards and had some cool rookie cards. Problem was, they weren't remotely rare so never appreciated. I forget one of the brands I got into but they ended up being completely worthless. I mean seriously worthless. Barry Sanders rookie card worth a nickle kind of worthless.

So, nearly 20 years later and my valuable cards are precisely the same ones that I had before I got back into it. All the ones I bought as a kid. I guess there's a moral in that story. Trading cards shouldn't be about adults speculating what's going to be worth something some day. They should be about kids excitedly collecting reminders of their favorite players.

Funnier still, the cards from back then that are worth the most, of course, were not the coveted cards of the day. This was the late 70s. We wanted all the big name guys. All the rest just got filed and never handled or traded. That included a 3rd round pick rookie QB for the worst team in the league, the 49ers. In fact, his "rookie card" wasn't even his rookie card because he didn't have a card his first year. So, the 3 pristine, handled once, only to be filed away in the, "whatever" category Joe Montanas are now the ones locked into plastic protectors.

Oh, and they're still not worth all that much anyway.

This is the most I see it going for on e-bay

I collected in the late 70's/early 80's but stopped in 86 (the year Jordan came into the league of course!!). Back then it was UpperDeck/Topps/Donruss and Fleer. I couldn't even tell you what cards to collect nowadays.

Michael Jordan entered the NBA in 1984.

After our move 18 months ago, I still cannot find my one box of my most valuable cards (like the 2/3 of the 1953 topps set I started working on about 10yrs ago). Either I just haven't found it yet, or the movers stole it.

Actually, collections like that are fairly common ... so, don't get your hopes up.

You could possibly sell that entire lot for a penny a card, if you sold it in bulk. If you piece it out in smaller lots, you could get more, but it'd take a ton of time.

Personally, I'm not interested in anything newer than 1959.

Likely a smart idea. I had a bunch from when I was a kid and had some friends in college who were into it, so when I went home one weekend, I brought all my stuff back with me. Encouraged by how much my old stuff was worth, I got back into it. Problem was, it had already gotten so commercial that things were speculated up. Further, there was a glut of newer companies jumping in. I ended up buying new cards and had some cool rookie cards. Problem was, they weren't remotely rare so never appreciated. I forget one of the brands I got into but they ended up being completely worthless. I mean seriously worthless. Barry Sanders rookie card worth a nickle kind of worthless.

So, nearly 20 years later and my valuable cards are precisely the same ones that I had before I got back into it. All the ones I bought as a kid. I guess there's a moral in that story. Trading cards shouldn't be about adults speculating what's going to be worth something some day. They should be about kids excitedly collecting reminders of their favorite players.

Funnier still, the cards from back then that are worth the most, of course, were not the coveted cards of the day. This was the late 70s. We wanted all the big name guys. All the rest just got filed and never handled or traded. That included a 3rd round pick rookie QB for the worst team in the league, the 49ers. In fact, his "rookie card" wasn't even his rookie card because he didn't have a card his first year. So, the 3 pristine, handled once, only to be filed away in the, "whatever" category Joe Montanas are now the ones locked into plastic protectors.

Oh, and they're still not worth all that much anyway.

This is the most I see it going for on e-bay

Pro Set :wacko:

Actually, collections like that are fairly common ... so, don't get your hopes up.

You could possibly sell that entire lot for a penny a card, if you sold it in bulk. If you piece it out in smaller lots, you could get more, but it'd take a ton of time.

Personally, I'm not interested in anything newer than 1959.

That's pretty much the deal. Again, even my Joe Montanas. They were put out before it got out of hand (mid 80s for instance when they started printing mountains of rookie cards and people were savvy enough to know that it was all about rookie cards which meant that, unlike before, each and every rookie card that got purchased went right into a plastic sleeve just in case the dude panned out unlike before where enough got stuck in the spokes of bikes to make the rest actually rare), but they're still not worth crap. You gotta go back.

I'm waiting for the market to bounce back

:wacko:

Not much reason not to. All the ones I have that have any chance at all of ever being worth anything fit into a shoe box and even the ones that have almost no chance at all of amounting to anything don't take up that much room in the attic.

I have a trunk full of cards too. Nothing worth much. Mostly football and nothing older than 1979. I do have 3 Jerry Rice rookie cards, but their not even in the best shape and not worth a ton the last I looked.

I've got a bunch of magic the gathering cards from back in college. :wacko:

I've got a bunch of magic the gathering cards from back in college. :wacko:

I have decided to preserve the single most embarrassing piece of personal information ever shared at the huddle for others to comment on as well.