[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Romo is Really Good!

Cowboyz1

We all wondered if Romo was going to be able to play in this league. Well after 4 games and 3 wins later, none bigger then today’s, we have our answer. I said in a thread here that Parcells has had this kid under him for over 3 years now and he doesn't keep guys around if he doesn't see something in them. I went on to state that if he can teach our sons how to play football through Backyard Football DVD, then he damn sure better be able to teach Romo to play in his own backyard in 3 years.

Fact is, Parcells is not one of the greatest coaches in NFL history for nothing. He knew what he had, he just didn't know for sure Romo would be able to translate the "IT" he saw on the practice field, to the brightly lit Sunday game turf.

Romo is as good a QB right now as there is in the league! As good as Manning, As good as Palmer, As good as Brees or anyone else you want to put in there. He is a winner, plain and simple.

Here's why:

In the biggest game of the year he not only kept his cool but after adversity got better and more deadly. This is exactly what Great QB’s do. Big Ben did it today, Manning did it but came up short, due in part to our stellar 3 4 D.

He looks off the saftey like a PRO and pulls some veteran "okee doke's" on veteran defenses!

1st Quarter he throws a pick. Ok it’s early in the game and they get the ball on the three. From that point forward he only made one other bad throw the rest of the game. What that tells me is this. He learns from his mistakes and can adjust quickly to avoid future ones. Also he knows when to take chances and when not to. Notably if he would have gone to Owens it would have been a Touchdown. Next time......

After three quick slants to Glenn he pumps and beats the Corner over the top on a hitch and go. Perfect setup and perfect throw to take advantage of it.

After losing 5 yards on a false start penalty, gets it right back by quick snapping the ball when the Colts jump. I know that’s partly the center but he has to be ready and aware. He was.

After Freeney forced the fumble on a speed rush, Romo never again waited on the rush the rest of the game. Again learned very quickly and adapted to the circumstances. On two plays he avoided pressure rolling to his right, away from Freeney and threw strikes down the field. Field general at its best.

The kid went 19 of 23. That's 82%.

In the last 4 games he has been sacked 6 times compared to Bledsoe's 16

He has thrown for over 270 yards passing in 3 games (has not been done since Aikman) all on the road!

He's completing 66% of his passes (Manning 65%, Palmer 63%), Among the top 5 in 3rd down Conversions.

How bout big plays with little time and predictable passing situations. In Washington he gets us in range hitting Witten, Today hit Owens with a perfect throw to put us in Field goal range with 9 seconds on the clock, while on the run. Not a long resume but the point is he can do it, and I believe he will keep on doing it. Better yet, opposing teams believe he will do it and push for points rather then settle for position as seen today by the Colts going for it on 4th downs!

He plays with a confidence we haven't had around here since Aikman and his release looks very similar to Troy's.

Finally, he can only get better. Now that is Scary.

This kid is the real deal and I'm sure glad we got him. Better yet we got him for free............

Prediction: Romo takes the Cowboys to the Playoffs and then we will see if he can take the next step and become a Star to match the one on the side of his helmet. :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy big fella...

Sure, Romo has sparked the offense and the offense is playing alot harder for him then they did for Bledsoe. He's a bona fide starter in this league on a good team.

Better than Manning and Palmer? come on bud. He didn't even throw a TD. Yes, his rating over the last few games (vs CAR, WAS ARI and IND) is nice and high but those teams (with the exception of CAR) aren't known for their pass defense. Indy somewhat, but again, he didn't throw a TD either. He's only average 187 yards a game vs those DEF too. And i'd be very curious to see how long his average pass was tonight, and how many of his yards came after the catch....

but good for you and your QB as he's proving to be a good one, and exactly what this team needed. But don't go crazy calling him Aikman or Manning or Brady or even Palmer. :D

Ok Romo is doing his job but he's not the kind of QB that can carry teams. His job is to not make mistakes and he did that quite well last night. Picked him up off waivers last week and sat him on my bench while Kitna started. As well as you think he played yesterday the reality is Kitna produced more FF points even on one of his worse days. Imagine if Kitna played for the Cowboys? Wow that's scary...

Just chalk this up as an excited 'Boys fan pumped after beating the last undefeated team. Definitely a good win - Romo is certainly playing beyond expectations, and infuses confidence in the offense.

Heck yeah i'm pumped, but make no mistake about it, I've been watching football a long time and this kid has that IT. Remember when Brady started for the Pats when Bledsoe went down. Same kind of thing.

We'll just save this post for future reference. The only thing this kid needs is time. Time to prove his doubters wrong and everything I said above RIGHT!

First arguement of "Teams don't have any film on him and are unprepared as a result", has already been defeated.

What's next? He hasn't taken his team and won in the Playoffs? Ok fine, lets revisit this in a month or so..............

Ok Romo is doing his job but he's not the kind of QB that can carry teams. His job is to not make mistakes and he did that quite well last night. Picked him up off waivers last week and sat him on my bench while Kitna started. As well as you think he played yesterday the reality is Kitna produced more FF points even on one of his worse days. Imagine if Kitna played for the Cowboys? Wow that's scary...

Your kidin me right. Please don't put Kitna and Cowboys in the same sentence, that just makes me crindge. Kitna may be serviceable but he got beat by AZ as he couldn't muster more than 10 points. 10 POINTS against the AZ Cardinals. Are you kidin me with Roy "we should be 6 and 1 right now" Williams and Mike "I can get there in a hurry" Furrey.

Kitna is spontaneous combustion as an NFL QB. He'll play ok for a couple games then POOFF up in smoke.

Well after 4 games and 3 wins later

Maybe Parcells can make another great decision and cut Vanderdrunk. Romo would have been 4-0....because any middle school soccer player with a last name no one can spell would've made that kick against the Deadskins.

Maybe Parcells can make another great decision and cut Vanderdrunk. Romo would have been 4-0....because any middle school soccer player with a last name no one can spell would've made that kick against the Deadskins.

I don't know why we keep putting that on Vanderclank. I won't defend him yesterday but that kick against Washington was BLOCKED not missed. Colombo missed his blocking assignment and let a free runner come right up the middle.

That said, Romo would be 4 and 0 as a starter which is exactly what I'm talking about. The kid just puts us in positions to win, which is just what great QB do for their teams.

Your kidin me right. Please don't put Kitna and Cowboys in the same sentence, that just makes me crindge. Kitna may be serviceable but he got beat by AZ as he couldn't muster more than 10 points. 10 POINTS against the AZ Cardinals. Are you kidin me with Roy "we should be 6 and 1 right now" Williams and Mike "I can get there in a hurry" Furrey.

Kitna is spontaneous combustion as an NFL QB. He'll play ok for a couple games then POOFF up in smoke.

dude, Romo didn't throw a single TD last night...how can you slam Kitna for not scoring more than 10?

I don't know why we keep putting that on Vanderclank. I won't defend him yesterday but that kick against Washington was BLOCKED not missed. Colombo missed his blocking assignment and let a free runner come right up the middle.

That said, Romo would be 4 and 0 as a starter which is exactly what I'm talking about. The kid just puts us in positions to win, which is just what great QB do for their teams.

this statement is wrong too. No one "came right up the middle". There were 3 (count them. THREE) hands in the direct line of Vandershanks kick. He sent it out on too low of a trajectory and there were 3, YES 3 HANDS THERE. All 3 behind the line. All 3 of them. K?

All the credit to the DEFENSE for making that play, but Vandershank shanked it. Period.

this statement is wrong too. No one "came right up the middle". There were 3 (count them. THREE) hands in the direct line of Vandershanks kick. He sent it out on too low of a trajectory and there were 3, YES 3 HANDS THERE. All 3 behind the line. All 3 of them. K?

All the credit to the DEFENSE for making that play, but Vandershank shanked it. Period.

Your Wrong. Parcells spoke about it in his press conference. He said "Colombo did something he had not done all year" which was block down rather then block from the inside out like he had been doing. The ONLY person that got a hand on that ball was the guy who blocked it and had a FREE run from the guard, tackle area. No matter though, we lost period. But get the story straight. The ball will hit just fine.

Your Wrong. Parcells spoke about it in his press conference. He said "Colombo did something he had not done all year" which was block down rather then block from the inside out like he had been doing. The ONLY person that got a hand on that ball was the guy who blocked it and had a FREE run from the guard, tackle area. No matter though, we lost period. But get the story straight. The ball will hit just fine.

my friend, you're wrong. it's a simple fact. "blocking down" does not give free roam to the kicker, nor does it mean Vandershank has no chance of hitting that FG. He puts it up higher, it would've cleared and had a real chance to go in. (of course, it was would've probably went right)

Ask Swerski, (who knows a lot about Vandypoo) and he'll tell you that long FGs and Vanheiser Busch don't usually mix well. He has a history of sending them out too low.

go back and watch the reply, from the angle behind VanderFlask and you'll see not 1, not 2, but 3 hands right in a row like little ducks following their momma. That ball was getting blocked by someone. And even if the FIRST defender did make it through the line, the 2 behind him did not and they were still gonna block it. And the first defender was still held up and not "through the line"

Heck yeah i'm pumped, but make no mistake about it, I've been watching football a long time and this kid has that IT. Remember when Brady started for the Pats when Bledsoe went down. Same kind of thing.

I'm pumped too! I'm just being cautiously optimistic :D Too many lean playoff years recently :D

Very impressed with him though. He is elusive, moves the chains, fast thinker, quick release, mobile, looks defenders off, and the offense responds to him. Whats not to like? I know he didn't have a TD and threw 1 INT vs the Colts, but he was so efficient with the ball that he got them into scoring position several times, while eating up massive amounts of clock. 19 for 23 says it all. 9 straight completions to end the game. Kept Manning off the field. The Colts own the 4th quarter, but Romo did everything that you need to do to beat the Colts in that final quarter.

dude, Romo didn't throw a single TD last night...how can you slam Kitna for not scoring more than 10?

Romo threw two balls that would and could have been TD but more importantly ended up scores. One to JJ that lead to Barbers 6 inch plunge and one to Glenn that would have been a touchdown if his shirt wasn't being taken off. Fantasy wise yeah ok, but putting us in position to score and win against the Colts is much more important.

Kitna LOST against the same Cards that Romo beat deep TWICE and went for 308 and two scores with ZERO picks. Kitna couldn't even win. So you want to compare Kitna and Romo against the same team and defend Kitna against Romo. You kiddin me...........What's your point?

Edited by Cowboyz1

I'm pumped too! I'm just being cautiously optimistic :D Too many lean playoff years recently :bash:

Very impressed with him though. He is elusive, moves the chains, fast thinker, quick release, mobile, looks defenders off, and the offense responds to him. Whats not to like? I know he didn't have a TD and threw 1 INT vs the Colts, but he was so efficient with the ball that he got them into scoring position several times, while eating up massive amounts of clock. 19 for 23 says it all. 9 straight completions to end the game. Kept Manning off the field. The Colts own the 4th quarter, but Romo did everything that you need to do to beat the Colts in that final quarter.

now this statement is one I can agree with. to start saying he's better than Manning and Palmer is just asking for the swift hand of irony.

:D and congrats to all Dallas fans because things are really looking up and scary for us Panther fans.

Romo threw two balls that would and could have been TD but more importantly ended up scores. One to JJ that lead to Barbers 6 inch plunge and one to Glenn that would have been a touchdown if his shirt wasn't being taken off. Fantasy wise yeah ok, but putting us in position to score and win against the Colts is much more important.

Kitna LOST against the same Cards that Romo beat deep TWICE and went for 308 and two scores with ZERO picks. Kitna couldn't even win. So you want to compare Kitna and Romo against the same team and defend Kitna against Romo. You kiddin me...........What's your point?

I'm not defending Kitna, nor am I even comparing them. You did. I'm not saying Romo isn't a good qb thus far and I'm not saying he's not the perfect ingredient for this dallas buffet. But I'm saying you said he was better than Palmer and Manning and used some pretty worthless stats to back it up. He's played 4 games and Manning has missed only 1 snap in 8 or 9 years (not even sure) so give Romo..oh...10 games before you start comparing him to record breakers and QBs capable of running no huddle offenses with their eyes closed. :D

my friend, you're wrong. it's a simple fact. "blocking down" does not give free roam to the kicker, nor does it mean Vandershank has no chance of hitting that FG. He puts it up higher, it would've cleared and had a real chance to go in. (of course, it was would've probably went right)

Ask Swerski, (who knows a lot about Vandypoo) and he'll tell you that long FGs and Vanheiser Busch don't usually mix well. He has a history of sending them out too low.

go back and watch the reply, from the angle behind VanderFlask and you'll see not 1, not 2, but 3 hands right in a row like little ducks following their momma. That ball was getting blocked by someone. And even if the FIRST defender did make it through the line, the 2 behind him did not and they were still gonna block it. And the first defender was still held up and not "through the line"

Whatever, we lost and that's that. We obviously are looking at the same play two different ways. I will take the word of Parcells and his staff as to why the kick was blocked as they have a lot more angles on the coach's film then we have. He specifically said that the kick was not low.

Ok Romo is doing his job but he's not the kind of QB that can carry teams. His job is to not make mistakes and he did that quite well last night.

While I'm not ready to annoint Romo as the second coming or Aikman or Staubach, He has been a little bit more than just a game manager. It is still too early to tell, but he looks like he could be a pretty good NFL QB, not just a game manager. I know I'd rather have him the Big Ben rigth now on my team.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Whatever, we lost and that's that. We obviously are looking at the same play two different ways. I will take the word of Parcells and his staff as to why the kick was blocked as they have a lot more angles on the coach's film then we have. He specifically said that the kick was not low.

No, you're looking at the play from an angle that you didn't see. You're listening to a coach in a press conference, and I actually saw the play, and and heard the commentators say "wow. 3 hands right there. that kick was getting blocked" I actually noticed the 3 hands in the replay and made a comment about it to my father in law, who is a dallas fan, about it.

not to mention that press conference was what? 10 minutes after the game, which gives Bill how long to watch the tape before he made that statement? oh..about zero.

I'm not defending Kitna, nor am I even comparing them. You did. I'm not saying Romo isn't a good qb thus far and I'm not saying he's not the perfect ingredient for this dallas buffet. But I'm saying you said he was better than Palmer and Manning and used some pretty worthless stats to back it up. He's played 4 games and Manning has missed only 1 snap in 8 or 9 years (not even sure) so give Romo..oh...10 games before you start comparing him to record breakers and QBs capable of running no huddle offenses with their eyes closed. :D

I did NOT say he was better, I said he was "as good". The only thing that is stopping you from agreeing is time in service and that my friend can be fixed..........We'll just save this thread for a later date when you will pay homage to my comments about this kid. Just watch and see what this kid does.

Facts are facts, he is winning. He just beat Manning by making plays and keeping him on the sidelines, he is not throwing tons of INT's like rookies normally do and as for record breaking, records are a function of time and consistancy, so in time you will see. That said, Romo is playing as good as any QB in the league and will continue to do so as long as he is on the field. That's my prediction and I'm stickin to it.