[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SEAN PAYTON Coach of the year

Randall

Associated Press

Sean Payton might have had the toughest coaching job in football this season, making his selection Saturday as The Associated Press NFL Coach of the Year that much more impressive.

Payton, in his first year as a head coach, didn't just lead the New Orleans Saints to a 10-6 record, the NFC South championship and a first-round playoff bye. He helped revitalize a battered city's spirit.

With New Orleans ravaged by Hurricane Katrina in late August 2005, the Saints became nomads that year, winding up 3-13 under Jim Haslett. Payton, an assistant coach in Dallas, was hired to revive one of the NFL's historically unsuccessful franchises.

Payton and his team gave the city -- indeed, the entire Gulf Coast -- something it desperately needed: a reason to smile.

And hopes for the Saints' first Super Bowl appearance.

"It's just been the right mix of guys who believe in each other," said Payton, who ran away in the balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL. "Players putting the team ahead of everything else. I think that's the biggest thing that we've been able to do to date. That's what's most important. That's what we were looking for in the offseason: character, toughness, those are things you win with."

Payton received 44 votes in a season when there were a half-dozen outstanding coaching performances. Eric Mangini of the New York Jets, another first-year head coach, got three votes, while San Diego's Marty Schottenheimer, the 2004 winner, received two. Jeff Fisher of Tennessee got one.

Payton became the third Saints coach to win the award, joining Haslett (2000) and Jim Mora (1987). Last year's winner was Chicago's Lovie Smith.

No coach ever was faced with rebuilding a roster while his community was recovering from such devastation. Football might seem trivial under such circumstances, but Payton and his players understood how uplifting their success could be to those struggling to put together their lives again.

"It was a new coach. He wanted to put his foot on the ground and establish that this was a new beginning," veteran wide receiver Joe Horn said. "In our profession, football, you don't start a new beginning by coming in and making it easy. It has to be hard.

"Fortunately for us we won football games. It worked out well."

So well that the Saints had their best regular season thanks to a potent offense and strong special teams.

Give Payton credit for those units, too. He signed free agent quarterback Drew Brees even though Brees was coming off delicate surgery on his throwing shoulder. Brees responded with a Pro Bowl season.

Payton lucked out when Reggie Bush was bypassed at the top of the draft by Houston, and Bush was a dynamic rookie as a runner, receiver and punt returner.

Even more dynamic was seventh-round pick Marques Colston, a receiver from Hofstra who had a questionable work ethic and concentration lapses in college. Under Payton's guidance, Colston became an elite rookie.

Payton wisely alternated running back Deuce McAllister, coming off a serious knee injury, with Bush, and McAllister finished with 1,057 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns.

"We have a great head coach in Sean Payton, and his system," Brees said. "I think we all believe in it, and I think it suits us all very well. I think we take a lot of pride in it."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

I agree. I only wish he'd have stayed in Dallas until Bill left....

He did he stayed last year and when bill came back, The funny thing is that IMO I feel Payton knows how to use Romo as a starting qb better than bill.

He did he stayed last year and when bill came back, The funny thing is that IMO I feel Payton knows how to use Romo as a starting qb better than bill.

Wonder if he has any second thoughts about turning down the OAK job 2 years ago? :D

He deserves it. I don't think that takes anything away from Mangenious though. He'll probably have other chances to win it.

It was pretty clearly between Mangini and Payton. No quibbles either way, though I'd say Mangini did more with less.

Fisher and <homer alert> Mike McCarthy did good jobs as well.

I understand Payton winning this award. Sympathy carries a lot of weight in this poll.

The City of New Orleans has gone through so much. The ruined, delapidated buildings...the chaos...the unrest...all the crime that was fueld by that sense of desperation...the corruption, stealing, cheating, lying...the pestilence the disease. Just awful.

Then Hurricane Katrina came through and made things that much worse.

So, yeah, I can understand giving this award to Sean Payton. :D

Edited by Vet

I understand Payton winning this award. Sympathy carries a lot of weight in this poll.

The City of New Orleans has gone through so much. The ruined, delapidated buildings...the chaos...the unrest...all the crime that was fueld by that sense of desperation...the corruption, stealing, cheating, lying...the pestilence the disease. Just awful.

Then Hurricane Katrina came through and made things that much worse.

So, yeah, I can understand giving this award to Sean Payton. :D

I'm sorry Vet, but sympathy had absolutely nothing to do with it. They both did outstanding jobs IMO, Payton just deserved it more than Mangini did, simple as that.

Very well deserved, had Mangini won the division-then maybe, but WC vs NFCS Champ and 1st round bye-Payton did a little bit more and as said JUSTILY deserved.

This is quibbling, since as said previously, I have no issue with Payton winning, BUT:

They finished with the same record, and I think it bears mention that the Jets played in a tougher division, in a tougher conference. And as stated above, where Payton was masterfully using Brees, Bush, and McAllister, Mangini was making chicken salad out of the chicken mess of Pennington, Houston, Barlow, and L Washington (I'd say NO's WR corps is deeper, but Coles/Cotchery compare pretty well with them). And the improvement is a horse apiece - NO improved by one more game, but the Jets sad-sack '05 team didn't have to deal with 1/8th of the mess the Saints did.

Crap, now I'm convinced that Mangini got robbed.... :D

This is quibbling, since as said previously, I have no issue with Payton winning, BUT:

They finished with the same record, and I think it bears mention that the Jets played in a tougher division, in a tougher conference. And as stated above, where Payton was masterfully using Brees, Bush, and McAllister, Mangini was making chicken salad out of the chicken mess of Pennington, Houston, Barlow, and L Washington (I'd say NO's WR corps is deeper, but Coles/Cotchery compare pretty well with them). And the improvement is a horse apiece - NO improved by one more game, but the Jets sad-sack '05 team didn't have to deal with 1/8th of the mess the Saints did.

Crap, now I'm convinced that Mangini got robbed.... :D

Talked yourself right into it did'nt ya? Way to go Captain Waffle :D