[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should the Eagles have punted ?

whomper

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a horrible call to punt. The ONLY thing the Eagles could do consistently on offense was the mid-range pass. Horrible call.

+1 Again even if they don't make the first and hold the Saints to no first downs they probably only give up maybe 20 yds in field position. Unless they were hoping for a fumble from the Saints deep in their own territory.

+1 Again even if they don't make the first and hold the Saints to no first downs they probably only give up maybe 20 yds in field position. Unless they were hoping for a fumble from the Saints deep in their own territory.

You got it...good luck to you Saints fans. Your team played one heck of a game tonight. Seriously, I was very impressed.

You got it...good luck to you Saints fans. Your team played one heck of a game tonight. Seriously, I was very impressed.

Thanks for the compliment. Thought your Eagles played well too. Couldn't figure out why we couldn't sack Garcia. We had em it seem like alot but just couldn't get a grip on em. Hey losing to the Saints has to be better than losing to the Cowboys or Giants, right? :D

Thanks for the compliment. Thought your Eagles played well too. Couldn't figure out why we couldn't sack Garcia. We had em it seem like alot but just couldn't get a grip on em. Hey losing to the Saints has to be better than losing to the Cowboys or Giants, right? :D

Not really. Sucks anyway you slice it.

What Reid should have done was run run run when they were 1 yard short of a first down on the 3 yard line instead they run (short or no gain) pass (lose 2 yards) Feild Goal. which made it 24-27. If they would have ran they could have either made the first or gone for it on 4th. Reid choked on that decision. This was with about 8 minutes to go but never the less dumb decision.

I concur.

I was absolutely shocked that Reid called for the punt. How could he possibly have ANY confidence in his rush defense. I really like and admire Andy Reid. I think he is a great coach. However, this was an absolutely awful decision, and, who knows, it might have cost them the game.

I was absolutely shocked that Reid called for the punt. How could he possibly have ANY confidence in his rush defense. I really like and admire Andy Reid. I think he is a great coach. However, this was an absolutely awful decision, and, who knows, it might have cost them the game.

Heard one of those guys on ESPN defending the decision to punt. He claims the task/risk of the Eagles getting a 1st on 4-15 was much greater than stopping the Saints from getting one. He claims the coach had more confdence in his defense than his offense.

Looking back many of us Saints fans would be questioning our coach last night as well for not going for the 2 point conversion had we lost by a point as well when we got that TD that brought us to within 21-19. :D

Edited by Rockerbraves

Heard one of those guys on ESPN defending the decision to punt. He claims the task/risk of the Eagles getting a 1st on 4-15 was much greater than stopping the Saints from getting one. He claims the coach had more confdence in his defense than his offense.

Looking back many of us Saints fans would be questioning our coach last night as well for not going for the 2 point conversion had we lost by a point as well when we got that TD that brought us to within 21-19. :D

Was not even a question in my mind, to much time left. I hate the 2 pt play unless within the last 3 min and you need it to tie.

What Reid should have done was run run run when they were 1 yard short of a first down on the 3 yard line instead they run (short or no gain) pass (lose 2 yards) Feild Goal. which made it 24-27. If they would have ran they could have either made the first or gone for it on 4th. Reid choked on that decision. This was with about 8 minutes to go but never the less dumb decision.

I totally agree with this.This is where the game was lost IMO.They got cute and it cost them.Just run the same play that Westy scored on earlier.Give him a lead blocker and let his leaping abitlity do the rest.They had two downs to get a stinkin yard for the first down.

I totally agree with this.This is where the game was lost IMO.They got cute and it cost them.Just run the same play that Westy scored on earlier.Give him a lead blocker and let his leaping abitlity do the rest.They had two downs to get a stinkin yard for the first down.

Might want to ask Coach Weiss if he would have run twice if he was OC. Note: Didn't work for him the last time he coached in the Dome. :D

Oh come on. 4th and 15 is even more risky than punting. He played the odds and lost. He thought his defense making a stand was better odds than 4th and 15.

The issue is that it wasn't an either/or - go for it, if you don't get it and defense holds, then your still getting the ball back with time. If you get it than all the better. And with the defense as tired as they were, a shorter field to hold wouldn't have been a bad thing....

Bad call

but not why we lost. There were some issues, but came down to execution - missed tackles / dropped balls / bad throws - just too many little mistakes

The issue is that it wasn't an either/or - go for it, if you don't get it and defense holds, then your still getting the ball back with time. If you get it than all the better. And with the defense as tired as they were, a shorter field to hold wouldn't have been a bad thing....

Bad call

Again the biggest reason to punt was the hope the Saints would turn the ball over deep in their own territory. If you arn't hoping for a turnover than the punting call was very suspect.

They had 2 time outs and the two minute warning to stop the clock. It was a good decision.

didnt' have the two-minute warning...just the two timeouts.

That being said, I also would have punted...and it almost worked. Reid obviously knew that the Saints would run on all three downs (which they did), and he felt if they could stop them, they'd get the ball back only needing a FG to tie.

If they had gone for the 4th & 15 and not made it, the Saints would have easily kicked a FG to go up by 6, thus making the Eagles need a TD, with no timeouts, getting the ball with about 45 seconds, and a field to drive. No chance.

Either way, the punt was not what decided this game....the game-changing series was the Eagles not converting a 2nd & 1, and 3rd & 1, from the Saints 3 yard line. Kicking the FG there was brutal...they needed the TD to take the lead. They should have run on 3rd and 4th down, needing only a half-yard.

Agreed. Without this screw-up, there's no 4th and 15 decision to make.

Not so fast my friend. Are you saying if the Eagles would have scored a TD on that series they would have won? Are you serious? You actually think the Eagles would have stopped the Saints from posting any more points. :D

All other things being equal.....maybe. :D

Whatever, the TD was there for the taking and was squandered.

Oh come on. 4th and 15 is even more risky than punting. He played the odds and lost. He thought his defense making a stand was better odds than 4th and 15.

He was coaching to not lose, not to win.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that punting was a horrible call. There's an argument to be made for that strategy. But I think it obviously didn't work out, and so its very easy to second-guess the results. Personally I think the Eagles should have gone for it, and it looks like almost everyone agrees with that. I don't think punting makes Reid a bad coach, but as someone else pointed out in another thread, its what separates him from the great coaches. He wasn't willing to take the risk when it was called for, and it cost him an opportunity to win.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that punting was a horrible call. There's an argument to be made for that strategy. But I think it obviously didn't work out, and so its very easy to second-guess the results. Personally I think the Eagles should have gone for it, and it looks like almost everyone agrees with that. I don't think punting makes Reid a bad coach, but as someone else pointed out in another thread, its what separates him from the great coaches. He wasn't willing to take the risk when it was called for, and it cost him an opportunity to win.

Now that the excitement of the moment has passed somebody pull some stats and lets get down to the bottom of this punt thing.

What are the odds in the NFL on making a 1st down on 4th & 15.

Now what are the odds in the NFL of a team's defense forcing a 3 and out when the defense feels fairly confident the offense will run the ball 3 straight times.

Would think a team would have a better chance of forcing a 3 and out, however now you have to factor in the lost of timeouts. time on the clock and field position into the equation.

Ah, forget it. To much trouble. Personally I would have gone for it. :D

Edited by Rockerbraves