[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who was LT bucking up on after the game?

cliaz

Poor sportsmanship if you ask me, by both sides. I know I probably would have reacted the same way LT did, however that's not to say that would be the correct reaction.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO I think that LT showed a lot of class in this incident. He was the bigger man after seeing the choke sign and Juice freak dance, he was jogging off the field and was grabbed by several Pats players when he broke away they grabbed him again. That's when words were exchanged and he went on his way. The post game interview occured after going to his locker room and having to listen to the Pats chanting "Lights Out" into hteir locker room... I would think the hoodie would have more control over his players that are acting like a Jr. High team. So I can definetly see why LT brought up the head coach issue!

If you're on a team, you want to know that you're teammates ALWAYS have your back when addressing the public for as long as you're on the team ... and, if you have a problem with a teammate, keep it in house.

I believe that's the kind of guy Tomlinson is, and I believe that's how guys in SDs locker room are taking his comments. Frankly, those are the only people who's opinion really matters on this topic, anyhow.

So, kudos to LT for being a good teammate, even if he doesn't agree with the teammate or his actions.

I've seen comments from some Huddlers about the Chargers showing "disrespect" for the Patriot players this last week, but I'm not sure where that's coming from. Everything in the media last week that I saw coming out of the Chargers locker room was VERY respectful almost to the point of being man-love.

I went to the game and saw the antics by the NE players that LT was talking about. It WAS disrespectful. The celebrating and taunting was WAY over the top. For a second I thought there was going to be a riot on the field.

IMO, that is an incredibly stupid thing for the Patriot players to do. Why would NE want to give the Chargers any added motivation for next year's game?

Stupid.

I've seen comments from some Huddlers about the Chargers showing "disrespect" for the Patriot players this last week, but I'm not sure where that's coming from. Everything in the media last week that I saw coming out of the Chargers locker room was VERY respectful almost to the point of being man-love.

I went to the game and saw the antics by the NE players that LT was talking about. It WAS disrespectful. The celebrating and taunting was WAY over the top. For a second I thought there was going to be a riot on the field.

IMO, that is an incredibly stupid thing for the Patriot players to do. Why would NE want to give the Chargers any added motivation for next year's game?

Stupid.

IF SD can run up the score.......I hope they do :D

Wow, he has been nothing but class, but, he obviously lost his temper with the disappointment of this loss. He is human, and I'll give him a pass on this one based on the way he has handled himself up to this point.

"Class," in my opinion, has nothing to do with sitting on your hands and being a quiet little church mouse all of the time. I respect someone who tells it like it is, no matter the circumstance, rather than someone who walks away from bad situations or "goes quietly into the night." I respect what LT2 just did. As a matter of fact I believe he's right on w/his statements. Especially about Belichick.

Stupid.

I think the ball started rolling on this one last year, when Marty stated the Pats no longer had the personal to match up with his team. They hung 41 on NE in NE and ran it up. Tom Brady's response was that we don't talk about other teams and they best not talk about us. Period.

Then, you've got Merriman (2 tackles, btw) having "Lights-Out" shaved into his head and doing his stupid little dance after hitting Brady early in the game.

Both teams will be ready for this one next year.

Edited by ced1001

It was Colvin.

They mimicked Shawne “Lights Out” Merriman, impersonating his post-sack celebration dance and taunting him with muscle-flexing gestures in light of his steroid suspension.

And several Patriots reportedly couldn’t resist shouting “Lights Out” into the Chargers locker room afterward.

Apparently, Rosevelt Colvin was one of the loudest taunters, evidenced by his hoarse voice following the game: “It is, I did a lot of taunting after the buzzer went off.”

The overall display was so in-your-face that LaDainian Tomlinson, widely regarded as one of the classiest, most well-respected players in the league, felt compelled to rip the Pats and coach Bill Belichick.

“I would never, ever, react in that way because I’m a very classy person,” Tomlinson said. “I wouldn’t react like that, so yes, I was upset. When you go to the middle of our field and start doing the things that Shawne Merriman is known for, that’s disrespectful. I can’t sit there and watch that. I was very upset, just the way they show absolutely no class. Maybe it comes from their head coach.”

i saw footage of colvin on his way to the pats locker room, last night...for all the pats locals...who watch sports final at midnight with bob lobel, they saw it too...he was in the hallways on his way to the pats locker room and yelled "lights out.....theres a power outage....turn the lights out"....he was doing so for the local news camera...the camera was right next to him while he said it...and he was looking directly into it

i do not doubt that there were some words flying on the field after the game....but for rosey colvin to be doing some taunting, it must have been provoked...rosey is revered as a pretty "classy" guy around these parts

this what was said by SD after they ended the pats 21 game win streak:

From the Boston Herald:

One after the other, sweaty, smiling members of the San Diego Chargers walked through the massive concrete artery that leads to the visitors locker room in Gillette Stadium.

As they walked, tearing grass-stained tape from their hands, they gloated aloud about their just-finished, 41-17 hammering of the New England Patriots.

"That's an ###-whipping," said defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

"21-1, now," tackle Leander Jordan announced, referring to the Patriots' punctured 21-game home winning streak.

"F___ New England and their team," suggested cornerback Drayton Florence. Florence then said to the collection of onlookers in the hallway. "Get the look of shock off your faces. Don't be shocked. We beat your ###."

"We just kept the intensity up," said Chargers center Nick Hartwick. "They don't like when you keep pushing and shoving and keep coming after them."

One of my friends was a walk-on at Purdue and played with Colvin briefly. He had nothing but good things to say about him.

yep..homecoming for rosey sunday...hes from indy....he does alot of charity work...seems pretty humble...became a devout christian after his hip injury...i dont see any reason to single him out for taunting...and if he did directly taunt san diego players...they probably brought it upon themselves

this what was said by SD after they ended the pats 21 game win streak:

From the Boston Herald:

One after the other, sweaty, smiling members of the San Diego Chargers walked through the massive concrete artery that leads to the visitors locker room in Gillette Stadium.

As they walked, tearing grass-stained tape from their hands, they gloated aloud about their just-finished, 41-17 hammering of the New England Patriots.

"That's an ###-whipping," said defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

"21-1, now," tackle Leander Jordan announced, referring to the Patriots' punctured 21-game home winning streak.

"F___ New England and their team," suggested cornerback Drayton Florence. Florence then said to the collection of onlookers in the hallway. "Get the look of shock off your faces. Don't be shocked. We beat your ###."

"We just kept the intensity up," said Chargers center Nick Hartwick. "They don't like when you keep pushing and shoving and keep coming after them."

the funny thing about that game is....the pats had just had an absolute war with the steelers in pittsburgh ,which they won 23-20....it was the game they lost rodney and matt light in...and several guys, such as richard seymour, played banged up against san diego...the game was tied at the half....and they were still leaning on chad brown and monty beisel inside....

LT said mocking Merriman was disrespectful? His dance is mocking and disrespectful.

I applaud LT for trying to walk away, the 100% correct thing would have been to shake hands and leave he was looking for a peaceful compromise.

By the way "lights out" is for him knocking unconscience several highschool players? Which I believe isn't to healthy for the brain to get knocked out. Let's make a knickname for when I hurt people. Within the rules or not.

Merriman is a punk, badsportsman, and cheater and I think deep down LT hates those things because HE is a class guy despite this incident. He's torn because he is a teammate which LT respects that bond, good.

To answer an earlier post I was okay with the reaction to TO standing on the star. He too deserved what he got. It is a fine line because he could have gotten hurt getting blindsided which he didn't deserve.

Sportsmanship can be displayed in varying levels, we rarely see it at it's highest level. So I am okay with appropriate reactions to inappropriate acts. But LT to say mocking Merriman's dance is disrespectful...I can't begin to say how many things are wrong with that statement.

But I still do not see the connection to belichick ? does tomlinson think belichick ordered the celebration ? Does he think that belichick actually knew about it as it was happening when there was like 400 people on the field betwen players , media , security , etc ?

Its ok not to like belichick but I still do not understnd the disdain tomlinson has for bill

These guys celebrate when they're losing by 21 and manage to get a sack in garbage time. Of course they're gonna take it over the top after a win like that. They get paid millions to beat the crap out of people every week. Do you think it's something they can just shut off as soon as the game ends? There will always be trash talking and disrespect. It's part of the game.

But good for LT for standing up on his own field, even if he is defending some retard.

But I still do not see the connection to belichick ? does tomlinson think belichick ordered the celebration ? Does he think that belichick actually knew about it as it was happening when there was like 400 people on the field betwen players , media , security , etc ?

Its ok not to like belichick but I still do not understnd the disdain tomlinson has for bill

The only connection I can see is the fact that after the loss to the Chargers last year, Marty said that at some point, the injuries are going to take a toll and the Pats won't be able to overcome them. Brady said Marty should worry about his own team, and not worry about the Pats.

So, I guess it could be because Brady pulled his coach into the scrum last year, LT wanted to pull Belichick into the scrum this year.

Talking about coaches and their conduct, if Wade Phillips said "That's an a$$ whipping" after last year's game, that shows a lack of class as coaches should show some leadership.

Also, 2 days later, with 20+ CBS cameras and probably 8 local news cameras between the Boston and San Diego network news, it's pretty telling that no footage of a group Light's Out celebration exists.

Bottom line is LT saw a couple guys doing it, got mad, and had to say after the game why he got mad. If he didn't explain it, the media and public would think he was just sore loser who refused to shake hands.

There were obviously some things that happened when the Pats home winning streak was snapped by the Chargers last year. It was something the Pats used as motivation this week, and they trailed the whole game and weren't able to let those emotions out until the FG was missed. It doesn't help when some steriod freak markets his own knickname, his own dance, has the nickname shaved into his head (which looked like something you'd see at a HS pep rally), talks all week, talks last week to mumbles Sharpe and doesn't back it up. You put that much attention on "ME", and you don't perform, you deserve to be mocked.

Stay Classy San Diego

Edited by charty

TO ran from the endzone to midfield to dance on the star.

When the game ends, the teams typically end up at midfield to celebrate, shake hands, form a prayer circle, etc.

Until I see some film of the celebration that suggests otherwise, I can't believe they purposely sought out the Chargers logo.

I'm a lifelong Pats fan, but everything I've read has indicated that they did go to the logo intentionally, including this:

"Jay Posner and Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, report San Diego Chargers LB Shaun Phillips has already begun to think about the team's meeting with the New England Patriots next season after the Patriots taunted the Chargers following their divisional playoff win Sunday, Jan. 14. Several Patriots players pointed at the scoreboard after the game and began to mock Chargers LB Shawne Merriman's "Lights Out" dance while stomping on the Chargers helmet logo at midfield. "Every time I will play New England it will be a personal grudge," Phillips said. "That was very classless… When we went in and beat their head in New England (last season), blew them out (41-17), we did nothing but compliment them and say they were a good team. We would never disrespect a team like that. We have class, and that's how classless individuals are. Shaun Phillips will have a grudge against them the rest of his career."

I'd be more concerned with Shaun Phillips moving forward than I would be Merriman if I was the Pats.

Edited by Crazysight

Though that's a bunch of bologni from Phillips regarding the Charger's comments from last year. I guess a report like this could be exagerating given that the source is from a San Diego based publication. Something had to have happened though so I'm surprised that I haven't heard of any video. I didn't even watch the game myself but I did see that there was an unsportsmanlike conduct flag thrown on New England after the field goal was missed.

Edited by Crazysight

Though that's a bunch of bologni from Phillips regarding the Charger's comments from last year. I guess a report like this could be exagerating given that the source is from a San Diego based publication. Something had to have happened though so I'm surprised that I haven't heard of any video. I didn't even watch the game myself but I did see that there was an unsportsmanlike conduct flag thrown on New England after the field goal was missed.

A lifelong Pats fan who didn't even watch the game? Unless you were having your ruptured spleen removed, you should be ashamed of yourself! :D

IMHO I think that LT showed a lot of class in this incident. He was the bigger man after seeing the choke sign and Juice freak dance, he was jogging off the field and was grabbed by several Pats players when he broke away they grabbed him again. That's when words were exchanged and he went on his way. The post game interview occured after going to his locker room and having to listen to the Pats chanting "Lights Out" into hteir locker room... I would think the hoodie would have more control over his players that are acting like a Jr. High team. So I can definetly see why LT brought up the head coach issue!

I would think Marty would have had more control over his players on the field.