[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parcells retires

Popeye

With the talent he has had over the years at Dallas it's not too shabby.

The mediocre record isn't due to lack of talent it is because Parcells and the Cowboys didn't have the killer instinct to finish teams off when they had them down. Instead Parcells would play ultra-conservative, with rather unimaginitve play calling and then lose the game at the end.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mediocre record isn't due to lack of talent it is because Parcells and the Cowboys didn't have the killer instinct to finish teams off when they had them down. Instead Parcells would play ultra-conservative, with rather unimaginitve play calling and then lose the game at the end.

Ok why is Norv Turner even being considered as a candidate for the Cowboys head coaching position?

Turner was hired as the head coach of the Washington Redskins. In seven seasons with the Redskins, he went 49-59-1. They made the playoffs only once, in 1999, where they lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the second round.

Cowboys will miss Parcells! :D

Ok why is Norv Turner even being considered as a candidate for the Cowboys head coaching position?

Turner was hired as the head coach of the Washington Redskins. In seven seasons with the Redskins, he went 49-59-1. They made the playoffs only once, in 1999, where they lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the second round.

Cowboys will miss Parcells! :D

The media is speculating that Norv Turner is being considered as a stop gap because JJ is familiar with him. I have not heard JJ say he is considering him.

Turner sucked as a HC and sucks as an OC unless he has an excellent O-Line with a stud RB.

I see that Terrell Owens has notched another accomplishment. Not only did he drive one of our best coaches into retirement, but he punked him on his way out the door.

Parcells was part of the problem according to Owens. :D

The rumor on the 10 o'clock news is that Jerry Jones was seen having dinner with Bob Stoops tonight.

I think Stopps would be an optimal pick - successful and knows how to deal with the younger crowd. Sort of like Jimmy Johnson about 20 years ago.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

I see that Terrell Owens has notched another accomplishment. Not only did he drive one of our best coaches into retirement, but he punked him on his way out the door.

Parcells was part of the problem according to Owens. :D

No chit what a moron, even for him, have some class when a Hall Of Famer is retiring. I for one will miss Parcells- guy is a breath of fresh air, effin funny at times with all the other stale coaches, and even though Dallas homers can't handle it- I think he did a good job with the talent they had there. Definitely leaving the team better than when he started, and on the way up.

Jerry Jones would have drafted Steven Jackson, where Parcells wanted to trade down, and instead of Jackson, we now have Julius Jones and Marcus Spears, who has been a huge bust.

Parcells also drafted a TE in the 2nd round this past yr, when they already have a pro bowl calibur Te in Jason Witten.

This team knew it needed more pass rush, better OL play and a FS before last yrs draft and instead went for a LB who looked lost last yr and another TE in rounds 1-2.

JJ has been talking to Stoops for awhile now about the job once Bill leaves. A decision is made they just have to announce it.

Could Stoops do what JJ did coming in as a college coach? JJ was pretty tough and seemed to have a single minded purpose on how he wanted to get things done in the NFL. Is Stoops that kinda guy?

Stoops is a hard nosed guy for sure. Reminds me of Cowher, with an attitude. He always seems to have his team in the thick of things, but lately hasnt had the success he had early on. His style is probably more suited for the NFL, instead of the Urban Meyer gadget play kind of coach. More line um up, smash mouth football, and great defense, especially, the front 7. I think he would be a great fit in Dallas, but Id rather he stay in Norman, and my Boys get Carroll instead. I think Carroll would thrive in Dallas.

I am not sold at all on Carroll. He inherited an 8-8 Jets team and turned it into a 6-10 team and was fired after one season.

He inherited a 11-5 Patriot team that went to the Superbowl (under Parcells in 1996) and then went 10-6, 9-7 and 8-8 with one wildcard win (1997) and two playoff losses.

He's just a retread like Wade Phillips. He's never improved an NFL team and like Phillips has only one playoff win to his credit against two playoff losses after 4 years as a HC.

He's far better suited for college IMO where he can cherry pick the best recruits each year.

DAL needs either a college coach (without a losing record in the NFL) that can infuse some enthusiasm and excitement and knows how to deal with players in today's NFL or a younger assistant coach (like... sniff... Sean Payton). Going with a retread won't have any better results than DAL already got with the retread Parcels who had a far better resume than Phillips or Carroll.

My first pick would be Stoops but I doubt that happens.

Stoops would be stupid to leave Oklahoma, I mean he is pretty set for life there....kind of like how Saban was stupid to leave LSU when he did.

Think it depends on the size of their ego, confidence as well as the money being offered. In Saban's case no one could blame him for giving it a shot. Same with Steve Spurrier when he left Florida. Got to think Stoops has a big enough ego and has every right to be confident so the only thing missing is the $$$$. If the offer is to good to pass up no one could blame him for giving it a crack.

Edited by Rockerbraves

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Dan Reeves coming home. He's 63, has a ton of experience, a ton of wins and has been to I don't know how many superbowls. If they can't come up with a good long term guy, and nobody knows for sure who that might be anyway, why not Reeves for 3-4 years? Maybe bring in somebody like Phillips as an asst head coach and defensive coordinator also?

I know you Dalls homers hate to admit it - but the Boys weren't that good. Especially in a down NFC this year- Dallas was a mediocre squad that finished up about where they should have.

Maybe Parcells made a few bad personnel moves but the guy is one hell of a football coach

I know you Dalls homers hate to admit it - but the Boys weren't that good. Especially in a down NFC this year- Dallas was a mediocre squad that finished up about where they should have.

Maybe Parcells made a few bad personnel moves but the guy is one hell of a football coach

Was one hell of a football coach, was.

• 2 weeks later...