[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ugly Bear Fans

Ground Chuck

Good thing that you didn't go to Philly, Foxboro, or the Meadowlands.

JMO, but I have been to 30+ games in Foxborough in the last 5 years, and the only visiting fans I've ever seen even remotely hasseled were some drunk, obnoxious Jets fans getting hasseled by some equally drunk and obnoxious Pats fans.

Generally speaking, the crowd at Foxborough is pretty subdued.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally speaking, the crowd at Foxborough is pretty subdued.

As it is most places, IMO. The American sports-watching experience is totally different to the rest of the world where you take your life in your hands showing up to a big game where there could be armed police and troops keeping crowd control and there will certainly be fan segregation regardless of what ticket you may have. The main focus of US sports crowds is nachos and beer, for the most part, unless it's a particularly important game. On balance, that's not a bad thing.

Ya know, at first I really felt for ya, and I'd say it's pretty obvious from my first post in this thread. Moreover, anyone here can tell you that I'm pretty much as "close" to Chicago as I am the New Orleans region (family-wise).

But now you're starting to sound like a whiner. You believe everything the media says? You believe everything that's posted on the SaintsReport message boards? Give me a break.

Bottom line: it sucks that you had to go through what you went through. But I can guarantee this is not just a "Chicago" thing. And to say Saint fans would NEVER taunt/harass/spill beer on opposing fans/etc. because of ONE night out with some Eagle fans is ridiculous.

Get over it.

Edit: Sorry, thought this post was by the original thread poster. Even still... come on people. To pin this on Chicago and their fans... and Chicago and their fans solely is downright stupid.

I would certainly blame THIS on the Chicago Bears fans that were taking part in "over the line" harassing of Saints Fans...not stupid at all. Then again, we could just blame the abolishment of prohibition as I'm certain a lot of this is the booze talking.

I guess to blanket ALL Bears fans is a bit much, but having gone to a Lions/Bears game and gotten crap from the parking lot, to the stadium, to my seat, in my seat, in the bathroom, on the concourse and back to my car, I can say it's a fostered mentality of many fans. I haven't seen so many classless fans in one place since they closed the Silverdome....many a game I was embarrassed to be a Lions fan in that place.

I would certainly blame THIS on the Chicago Bears fans that were taking part in "over the line" harassing of Saints Fans...not stupid at all. Then again, we could just blame the abolishment of prohibition as I'm certain a lot of this is the booze talking.

I guess to blanket ALL Bears fans is a bit much, but having gone to a Lions/Bears game and gotten crap from the parking lot, to the stadium, to my seat, in my seat, in the bathroom, on the concourse and back to my car, I can say it's a fostered mentality of many fans. I haven't seen so many classless fans in one place since they closed the Silverdome....many a game I was embarrassed to be a Lions fan in that place.

Sure, THOSE Bear fans are to blame. But to say that ANYONE at ALL associated with the city of Chicago should be "embarrassed" by this is plain dumb. There are a-holes everywhere.

As I noted in my first post in this thread, I went to a Jets-Chargers game 2 seasons ago with a few of my Jet fan friends. San Diego. A pretty mellow crowd, IMO. Jets-Chargers. Hardly a huge rivalry. This isn't Raiders-Chargers we're talking about here. Plus, it was the first game of the dang season. Not like these Charger fans were bitter after going 1-8 or something. But still, my Jet buddies were getting the business... harassed, threatened, and then we got in an all out fight. Physical, not just words. Didn't matter that I was rooting for the Bolts, they were on me too.

For the last time... there are bad seeds everywhere. It's a shame that some stepped WAY over the line with Katrina comments, etc.

Ya know, at first I really felt for ya, and I'd say it's pretty obvious from my first post in this thread. Moreover, anyone here can tell you that I'm pretty much as "close" to Chicago as I am the New Orleans region (family-wise).

But now you're starting to sound like a whiner. You believe everything the media says? You believe everything that's posted on the SaintsReport message boards? Give me a break.

Bottom line: it sucks that you had to go through what you went through. But I can guarantee this is not just a "Chicago" thing. And to say Saint fans would NEVER taunt/harass/spill beer on opposing fans/etc. because of ONE night out with some Eagle fans is ridiculous.

Get over it.

Edit: Sorry, thought this post was by the original thread poster. Even still... come on people. To pin this on Chicago and their fans... and Chicago and their fans solely is downright stupid.

Cordo's a good guy. He went to game and got treated like sh*t. He's certainly entitled to his opinion based on his first hand experience, and he's certainly entitled to be emotional about it. He never said it didn't/wouldn't/couldn't happen anywhere else. He just said it DID happen to him, and there are a lot of stories out there of people that a similarly bad experience at the same game, where it happened to him, which makes those stories easy to believe.

Cordo's a good guy. He went to game and got treated like sh*t. He's certainly entitled to his opinion based on his first hand experience, and he's certainly entitled to be emotional about it. He never said it didn't/wouldn't/couldn't happen anywhere else. He just said it DID happen to him, and there are a lot of stories out there of people that a similarly bad experience at the same game, where it happened to him, which makes those stories easy to believe.

I'm originally from the Chicago area and would say that the fans there tend to act more like those in NY, Philly, and Cleveland than, say, those in St. Louis or Houston.

Hugh One & Cordo sitting in a tree..........

I know he is and is certainly entitled to feel however he wants, but to lump everyone in any way associated with the city of Chicago with these morans is simply wrong.

I didn't say Chargerz and the rest of the Bolt fan Huddlers should be embarrassed when me and my friends got into a scuffle with some drunk Mexican Charger fans.

I'm just surprised the headier Bear fans didn't trump the morans. I can guarantee that if I - or any other Bear fan I know or that's on this board - were in the presence of this kind of crap, we would have stuck up for the Saint fans. Period.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be embarrased if I found out that sort of thing on such a scale was going on in our stadium. In fact I'd be surprised that either the culprits weren't beaten & thrown out by the cops or by the other fans nearby in the stadium. I know one thing Saints fans and Southerners in general, take pride in is the treatment of visitors whether it be sports fans or otherwise.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be embarrased if I found out that sort of thing on such a scale was going on in our stadium. In fact I'd be surprised that either the culprits weren't beaten & thrown out by the cops or by the other fans nearby in the stadium. I know one thing Saints fans and Southerners in general, take pride in is the treatment of visitors whether it be sports fans or otherwise.

:D Hmm, well... the one time I saw the Saints play at the Superdome, a good number of Saint fans were anything but cordial to the visiting Falcon fans. :D

There are bad seeds in every apple, unfortunately.

:D Hmm, well... the one time I saw the Saints play at the Superdome, a good number of Saint fans were anything but cordial to the visiting Falcon fans. :D

No doubt about that unfortunately.

I know he is and is certainly entitled to feel however he wants, but to lump everyone in any way associated with the city of Chicago with these morans is simply wrong.

I didn't say Chargerz and the rest of the Bolt fan Huddlers should be embarrassed when me and my friends got into a scuffle with some drunk Mexican Charger fans.

I'm just surprised the headier Bear fans didn't trump the morans. I can guarantee that if I - or any other Bear fan I know or that's on this board - were in the presence of this kind of crap, we would have stuck up for the Saint fans. Period.

+1

Completely untrue, if you believe that then you've never spent any time down here.

I've spent short amounts of time in Georgia, South Carolina, Texas and Oklahoma and in each the people I met were uniformly friendly and all wanted to buy beer for me. Well, most of them anyway. One of the best nights I ever had was in a backstreet redneck bar in Greenville, SC, where they had a karaoke night going on. Just a great night - spit and sawdust floor covered in beer and a succession of people wailing "Seven Bridges Road". :D

Florida is the only southern state in my experience where the people weren't so open, probably because they get so many tourists.

Completely untrue, if you believe that then you've never spent any time down here.

I lived in SE Texas for a while and the people down there were incredibly nice... even those that knew I was from Illinois. My (more limited) experience with people in Georgia was even more pleasant.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I've spent short amounts of time in Georgia, South Carolina, Texas and Oklahoma and in each the people I met were uniformly friendly and all wanted to buy beer for me. Well, most of them anyway.

I've been all over the country and people in the Midwest and especially the South tend to be the nicest. In my experience, Georgia was the best and Massachusetts the worst.

Florida is the only southern state in my experience where the people weren't so open, probably because they get so many tourists.

Or perhaps it's because so many of them are translpants? :D FWIW, I've noticed the same thing.

I lived in SE Texas for a while and the people down there were incredibly nice... even those that knew I was from Illinois. My (more limited) experience with people in Georgia was even more pleasant.

Really haven't found a place that I didn't find nice friendly people. No offense to the Nebraska people but my only experience up there was sort of funny. Had to excuse myself from a business meeting to visit the gentlemens room, so I asked the receptionist for directions. Wish you could have seen this ole southern boy's face :D when she told me to go down to the end of the hall and proceed west. :D

Agree w/ everything you said, but instead of trumping them, I'd PERSONALLY go to the "Yellow Jackets" and tell them to keep an eye out. That's their job, no need to exacerbate the situation. I totally understand what you're saying.

:bash: Hmm, well... the one time I saw the Saints play at the Superdome, a good number of Saint fans were anything but cordial to the visiting Falcon fans. :clap:

AGREE!!!! Show me a city that has such "great fans" that they welcome opponent fans w/ open arms? :D

Individual experiences (good or bad) are just that, Individual Experiences, and neither are enough to say that this is a great city or that is a bad city!

Really haven't found a place that I didn't find nice friendly people.

Agree!!! I can't remember the exact number, but I have stayed in about half of our 50 states, plus Canada and the Bahamas. I've been subjected to good AND bad in most! I have yet written off off one of those cities as "I'll never go back!"

FWIW (Not that it will change any minds):

Chicago is a great town w/ great fans (Sox Fans included :D ) and great friendly people.

Though some of the Saint's Fans suffered some indignities, I wonder what would have happened if the Saint's had homefield and this thread might be titled "Ugly Saints Fans"?

Darin, I appreciate you defending OUR great city! :tup:

If bashing the Bears, due to a few bad fans, makes you root for the Colts, FINE!

If you want to measure a city based on some drunken young thugs, FINE!

The Karina ref's were way out of line, but no worse than the jokes people made and are still making about it. It's sick!

I say w/ pride:

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by rocknrobn26

Get over it.

Over react much ? Maybe this is hitting just a little too close to home. I stand by what I said, and have no doubts to the veracity of all I've read and heard. And there is nothing to "get over", said my piece and will do my talking with my disposable dollars elsewhere, simple as that.

Over react much ? Maybe this is hitting just a little too close to home. I stand by what I said, and have no doubts to the veracity of all I've read and heard. And there is nothing to "get over", said my piece and will do my talking with my disposable dollars elsewhere, simple as that.

Nice move! Cut the guy off at the knees, AFTER he admits a minor indiscretion! :D Well done! :D Do you do Baptisms and Bar Mitzvahs?