[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looney Tunes

irish

Was just watching a Looney Tune show with the kiddies and because it's Presidents' Weekend they had the one on with Porky Pig and Uncle Sam. Long story short Porky doesn't have a clue what America is all about and what the Land of the Free means. So Uncle Sam teaches him and in the end Porky proudly stands and pledges the flag :D , however when it got to the part where he would say one nation under God, under God was left out. I was pretty shocked that it was omitted. I know that this has created quite a discussion in this country and it has been debated whether or not to leave that 2 word phrase in there or not. Since I am a teacher, I also get to observe kids in my class that don't Pledge the Flag at all. I've had one kid refuse to stand and others in the past just stand but not put their hand on their chest or say anything. This pisses me off more than you know. It's not a hugh deal if under God is left out, as religious beliefs are personal and forcing someone to say under God when they don't believe in one isn't right. But not standing for the Pledge when you and your family live in this country and benefit from opportunities/so-called freedoms we have here is just flat out insulting to me. If these kids or anyone for that matter don't want to say under God in the Pledge that's fine but they should at least have to stand and physically/verbally Pledge Allegiance to the Flag otherwise they should go back to where they came from. :D

Thoughts?

Long story short Porky doesn't have a clue what America is all about and what the Land of the Free means. So Uncle Sam teaches him and in the end Porky proudly stands and pledges the flag :D , however when it got to the part where he would say one nation under God, under God was left out. I was pretty shocked that it was omitted. I know that this has created quite a discussion in this country and it has been debated whether or not to leave that 2 word phrase in there or not. Since I am a teacher, I also get to observe kids in my class that don't Pledge the Flag at all. I've had one kid refuse to stand and others in the past just stand but not put their hand on their chest or say anything. This pisses me off more than you know. It's not a hugh deal if under God is left out, as religious beliefs are personal and forcing someone to say under God when they don't believe in one isn't right. But not standing for the Pledge when you and your family live in this country and benefit from opportunities/so-called freedoms we have here is just flat out insulting to me. If these kids or anyone for that matter don't want to say under God in the Pledge that's fine but they should at least have to stand and physically/verbally Pledge Allegiance to the Flag otherwise they should go back to where they came from. :D

Thoughts?

The episode you are talking about is from 1939.

The "under God" provision wasn't added to the Pledge until 1954.

Are you still pissed?

Edited by wiegie

The episode you are talking about is from 1939.

The "under God" provision wasn't added to the Pledge until 1954.

Are you still pissed?

Thanks for clearing that up. But yes I'm still pissed about most of the second part of what I wrote about. Kids/people not having to pledge at all but enjoying their time living here in this country.

Thanks for clearing that up. But yes I'm still pissed about most of the second part of what I wrote about. Kids/people not having to pledge at all but enjoying their time living here in this country.

What if your kids went on a study-abroad program for a year to another country--would you want them to be pledging allegiance to that country's flag?

(Now having said that, if your kid is planning on making that other country his/her permanent home, then I think they very well should pledge allegiance to that country. And I'm sure that this is what you are talking about.)

Edit to add: Although perhaps I even disagree somewhat with what I just wrote above as my wife is a permanent resident of the U.S. and I don't think she should feel obligated to pledge allegiance to this country's flag--I think she should respect this country and not do anything to harm it, but I'm not sure that she should have to unqualifyingly pledge her allegiance to it. (For example, if the US attacked her country, then I don't think she should feel obligated to support the US in its fight (which is what her pledge of alligiance would seem to imply that she should do).) (Instead, she should probably leave the US and go back to her home country in that case.)

Edited by wiegie

I think that understanding your debt and obligation to a country that has harbored, and shletered you is very important. Acting upon that obligation is crucial.

Repeating some words by rote is not.

I will agree that just repeating some words doesn't really mean anything.

However, deliberately remaining seated when the Pledge is spoken does mean something.

However, deliberately remaining seated when the Pledge is spoken does mean something.

People who can't do the courtesy of standing up or removing their hats, or SHUTTING THE F*CK UP during the anthem have always irked me.