[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Special Teams

godtomsatan

Rick Gosselin's annual rankings in the Dallas Morning News.

Special teams ranked by performance in 22 categories which I found on a Seahawks blog, which noted the irony that the most major coaching change made by Mike Holmgren in the off-season was firing the special teams coach, even though the Seahawks improved from 25th in '05 to 7th this past season.

The thing you note regarding playoff teams is that special teams performance is certainly no predictor of success.

1. Chicago

4. N.Y. Jets

7. Seattle

9. San Diego

T10. New Orleans

12. Baltimore

13. Kansas City

15. Dallas

17. New England

19. N.Y. Giants

26. Indianapolis

28. Philadelphia

Makes you wonder how irrelevant special teams actually are. :D

I guess next you're going to tell me that defense isnt important because the Colts had the worst rush defense and still won the championship.

I was getting to that, but I was waiting for the proper data to prove such a point.

If the Jets special teams weren't as good as they are, they don't make the playoffs last year. Field position and punters are much more game changing that most people care to believe. Having a return man like Hester or Miller has a big impact on field positiopn, something HC's talk about all the time.

If the Jets special teams weren't as good as they are, they don't make the playoffs last year. Field position and punters are much more game changing that most people care to believe. Having a return man like Hester or Miller has a big impact on field positiopn, something HC's talk about all the time.

Very True.

Consistency over the course of the year is very important, but only if you can couple that with a Top 10 defense.

Throw a good 3rd down offense in the mix, and the special teams are less important.

If you can't make first down conversions on third down and if you have an average defense, you better have a good ST unit if you're going to go anywhere.

+1. Without their special teams, there's no way the Bears are in the SB.

According to this Football Outsiders chart, the Jets ranked 15th in average starting field position (LOS/Dr category) on offense, and 10th on defense in 2006.

Where are the politically correct pandering coddlers on this? Why isn't some bleeding-heart self-esteem group proclaiming that "all teams are special"? How do you think the defenders feel that they are just "the defense" and not at all "special teams"? I bet they're defenseive about it. And on the other side of the ball? Well, some of them get to be "skill positions", but that's devise too! The O-Line is oppressed! I bet they take more offense to it than we know ...

ALL TEAMS ARE SPECIAL!! :D

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

Ted Ginn - the next Devin Hester. Hester is the reason why the Bears are #1, and whoever gets Ginn, will skyrocket up these charts next yr.

Field position is very important. A great kick return could put a team 1 first down away from a FG attempt, rather than a punt.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan