[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fellow Golfers

HowboutthemCowboys

I need a new set of irons. Due to work and family reasons I only get out about 8-10 times per year and can't bring myself to spend a ton of money on clubs. I've been doing some research on the internet and am leaning toward buying a set of clones. If anyone has any info or experience with clones I'd love to hear it. TIA.

I can say that I recently bought a set of Ping clones for my wife, who will be learning how to golf this spring. The price was reasonable, and the company I worked with was really great in terms of customer service.

For someone that golfs and has for a while, I can't make a recommendation on buying clones for themselves, but I would say that doing some shopping on ebay might be in order. I have gotten some really great deals (like brand new brand name clube for as little as $.06) on clubs that are overstock from the last few years.

There's a ton of equipment there. What is a 'ton of money' as far as you are concerned?

I can say that I recently bought a set of Ping clones for my wife, who will be learning how to golf this spring. The price was reasonable, and the company I worked with was really great in terms of customer service.

For someone that golfs and has for a while, I can't make a recommendation on buying clones for themselves, but I would say that doing some shopping on ebay might be in order. I have gotten some really great deals (like brand new brand name clube for as little as $.06) on clubs that are overstock from the last few years.

There's a ton of equipment there. What is a 'ton of money' as far as you are concerned?

Dick's just opened a store near me a few months ago and I've browsed a little bit lately. The cheapest I've seen a set of irons (other than brands I've never heard of) is around $300. I don't have a problem spending that myself but the Boss would'nt be thrilled if you know what I mean. I have basically no experience with ebay...maybe that's something I should look into. My biggest hangup with buying from ebay or ordering clones is I'd like to feel the club in my hands before I buy. Thanks for the reply.

I need a new set of irons. Due to work and family reasons I only get out about 8-10 times per year and can't bring myself to spend a ton of money on clubs. I've been doing some research on the internet and am leaning toward buying a set of clones. If anyone has any info or experience with clones I'd love to hear it. TIA.

I'm not sure how much money you're looking to spend but there are irons out there that are not clones and just as good as the namebrand irons. Take a look at the Assure irons from Infiniti. They're great for low handicappers and are very reasonably priced. There are about 10 different founderies used to make irons and only 3 of them are any good. The big companies (Titliest, Mizuno, Calloway etc) use one of these 3 to make their irons. Infiniti uses the same founderies the big companies use. Let me know if you're interested. I should be able to get you set of these irons custom made for around $300.00.

Assure Irons

Dick's just opened a store near me a few months ago and I've browsed a little bit lately. The cheapest I've seen a set of irons (other than brands I've never heard of) is around $300. I don't have a problem spending that myself but the Boss would'nt be thrilled if you know what I mean. I have basically no experience with ebay...maybe that's something I should look into. My biggest hangup with buying from ebay or ordering clones is I'd like to feel the club in my hands before I buy. Thanks for the reply.

I guess you should get a budget from the boss first, then :D

As far as trying before you buy, go to a local golf shop and try them out. Find clubs you like, and then shop for them on ebay.

I just bought a set of crappy shoes from spammers OSS irons on ebay, brand new with stiff graphite shafts for $500. I have seen them used in good condition with steel shafts for as low as $230.

It's worth a look once you know what you want. Custom club makers sell there as well, for less than you would pay at a walk-in store. That's of course if you are looking to price shop only...

I found this site, Pine Meadow Golf, a couple of years ago. I bought an entire set (you can pick and choose your own clubs) and a driver for around $400 (not including bag). No complaints so far. Great service and very good w/ return policies. They send you emails when your clubs are being built and then when they finally ship out, and they have a sizing calculator on the site itself so you can get them made for someone your size. If you're big into golfing you may want to get sized at a pro shop just in case.

Good luck!

If budget is a big deal here then I would also look at Tour Edge. As a golf shop owner I am just not a big clone guy. The fact is it just isn't close to the real thing. Tour Edge is my best-selling price point club. Tour Edge is a reputable company with both a regular and senior tour presence. It is no secret that all these club usage polls on the tours are purchased by the respective companies. Pay the guy enough and he will play it, but not at the expense of playing poorly. If a club is represented on tour, it has some validity. Good luck.

I've had a set of Ping Eye 2 knock offs for years and I love them. The only clubs I've tried that I'd trade them for are the high end RAC jobs from TaylorMade. I played with a set of them a few years ago and they made me go :D Awesome control - and it wasn't me.

I always give the same advice on golf equipment - find a good store with a wide selection and a range and go knock some balls around. When you decide to buy - make sure they are fitted to you - both for length and shaft flex.

I've had a set of Ping Eye 2 knock offs for years and I love them. The only clubs I've tried that I'd trade them for are the high end RAC jobs from TaylorMade. I played with a set of them a few years ago and they made me go :D Awesome control - and it wasn't me.

I always give the same advice on golf equipment - find a good store with a wide selection and a range and go knock some balls around. When you decide to buy - make sure they are fitted to you - both for length and shaft flex.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/...earchId=2273506

seems like a good price....

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

The right fitter making you a set of clones can be great but in all honesty if you don't know that guy then I would stay away from the clones. The reason is that, IMO, good quality clubs can be had for pretty resonable prices. Used is a great way to go. New grips on a used club and you feel like you are using new stuff anyway.

What I would do is settle on a price that you are willing to spend first. Then shop that price around and I think you will be plesantly surprised at what you can get.

I would be a bit hesitant to buy off of ebay myself. Obviously I can't speak for everyone but I know that golf clubs in particular are imported and although they may state they are Ping, Callaway, Taylor Made, etc... they are nothing more than clones. I would definitely advise the used route....

I would be a bit hesitant to buy off of ebay myself. Obviously I can't speak for everyone but I know that golf clubs in particular are imported and although they may state they are Ping, Callaway, Taylor Made, etc... they are nothing more than clones. I would definitely advise the used route....

This is a wealth of untruth. I have bought many clubs off of ebay, and can assure you they are the real thing. You just need to buy off reputable sellers, like GlobalGolfUSA, RockBottomGolf, and 3BallsGolf (which actually operates close to where I live out of a proshop rated in the nation's top 100)

This is a wealth of untruth. I have bought many clubs off of ebay, and can assure you they are the real thing. You just need to buy off reputable sellers, like GlobalGolfUSA, RockBottomGolf, and 3BallsGolf (which actually operates close to where I live out of a proshop rated in the nation's top 100)

It's not a wealth of untruth as you say. I know it to be true because I know people who export this. Agree with you that some sellers are reputable. Hence the fact that I said I cannot speak for everyone.

It's not a wealth of untruth as you say. I know it to be true because I know people who export this. Agree with you that some sellers are reputable. Hence the fact that I said I cannot speak for everyone.

People that advertise as selling brand name clubs are pretty much selling brand name clubs. Most of what is sold on ebay comes from a relative handful of reputable sellers, and then the used market.

You might know people that export to clones sellers, of which there are a lot on ebay, but I highly doubt you have inside knowlede of sellers advertising brand name stuff and then selling cheap knockoff crap. It would never stand up.

People that advertise as selling brand name clubs are pretty much selling brand name clubs. Most of what is sold on ebay comes from a relative handful of reputable sellers, and then the used market.

You might know people that export to clones sellers, of which there are a lot on ebay, but I highly doubt you have inside knowlede of sellers advertising brand name stuff and then selling cheap knockoff crap. It would never stand up.

All I know is I have friends in China who have Ebay businesses and they tell me that people import knockoffs that are advertised as branded products... I happen to believe what they tell me is true....

ETA: You are right though I do not know anyone either importing or exporting clones and selling them as brands. Only what I have been told second hand so I suppose it could be an untruth.

Edited by Piles