[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

cops in boston

dmarc117

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...gest_paychecks/

Police in Boston were by far the city's top earners last year, with 25 Police Department employees earning more than $200,000, nearly four times the number who made that amount in 2005, according to city payroll figures released to the Globe.

In 2006, the average uniformed police officer made $113,617, including $35,600 in detail and overtime pay, according to figures provided by city budget officials. Firefighters, on average, made $91,087 in 2006, including about $12,500 in overtime and detail pay. The average teacher made $62,195 in total pay.

:D

Wow - i love it (outside of the teacher thing). Highest tax rates help make that happen.

Seems higher than it really is salary wise -both around $80k avg. Knowing the maturity of the officers up there (my uncle was a fire chief in one of the suburbs - avg years on force was about 20), that seems about right with starting pay probably in the 40 range and scaling up to maybe 100, but majority near the top of the scale would be my guess

then add on the private details - it's good pay for tough work

The teacher comparison is a prob - especially considering their "detail" would consist of coaching a sport for $1000 to $1500. So many teachers (especially younger ones) have to get part time jobs as the cost of living is just too high to maintain on the starting salaries (my cousin who's a teacher up there bartends a few nights a week and works at golf course on wkends)

Wow - i love it (outside of the teacher thing). Highest tax rates help make that happen.

Seems higher than it really is salary wise -both around $80k avg. Knowing the maturity of the officers up there (my uncle was a fire chief in one of the suburbs - avg years on force was about 20), that seems about right with starting pay probably in the 40 range and scaling up to maybe 100, but majority near the top of the scale would be my guess

then add on the private details - it's good pay for tough work

The teacher comparison is a prob - especially considering their "detail" would consist of coaching a sport for $1000 to $1500. So many teachers (especially younger ones) have to get part time jobs as the cost of living is just too high to maintain on the starting salaries (my cousin who's a teacher up there bartends a few nights a week and works at golf course on wkends)

$62195 in total pay obviously includes thing other than salary (there are some benefits calculations there), but let's not forget that teachers get summers off, during which they can work another job full time. They also get shot at less than cops, and aren't dying of lung cancer or suffering form burns, and all that.

The starting salary should be higher, and that would raise that average significantly...but there are plenty of teachers around here that make good money. That's the only change I would worry about.

In contrast, younger cops might make less, but they also can handle working more details, and detail pay doesn;t change with service time.

$62195 in total pay obviously includes thing other than salary (there are some benefits calculations there), but let's not forget that teachers get summers off, during which they can work another job full time. They also get shot at less than cops, and aren't dying of lung cancer or suffering form burns, and all that.

Public school teachers also get almost automatic tenure in many places, unless they're COMPLETELY incompetent or go out of their way to piss off all of the other teachers. They also get union representation and a pretty good reitrement package in most states. Do they deserve a raise? Sure, but not a huge one. It's not that difficult of a job and the hours are very reasonable.

Edited by Bill Swerski

$62195 in total pay obviously includes thing other than salary (there are some benefits calculations there), but let's not forget that teachers get summers off, during which they can work another job full time.

:D:D

yah they only work 50 hour work weeks.... are they payed the same

50 ( 2 weeks vaca) weeks at 60 hours is 2000

41 weeks at 2255

Public school teachers also get almost automatic tenure in many places, unless they're COMPLETELY incompetent or go out of their way to piss off all of the other teachers. They also get union representation and a pretty good reitrement package in most states. Do they deserve a raise? Sure, but not a huge one. It's not that difficult of a job and the hours are very reasonable.

:D:D:tup: its not 1950 you wetoad

its not that hard a job :doh::D:D jebus you people are ether great fishermen or complete idiots..

im not going to spend the next week trying to change small minds but things have changed for teachers since 1950 and not for the good of the teachers or school and kids.. but hey who cares right, they are only the future of the country, and most dont even know who won the war of independence...

They should certainly jack up teacher salaries, but also make it more difficult to ger credentials. Better educators would help us more than any other spot in society. unfortunately with the unions, they'll want the raise without the effort.

There was a scandal in Santa Monica (LA Burb) about 7-8 years ago. Officers were taking precise sick and vacation days, and organizing who would fill in and when. The result was an ENORMOUS amount of overtime billed out to everyone to the point a Sgt made more that year than the NY Chief of Police!

its not that hard a job :doh::D:D jebus you people are ether great fishermen or complete idiots..

im not going to spend the next week trying to change small minds but things have changed for teachers since 1950 and not for the good of the teachers or school and kids.. but hey who cares right, they are only the future of the country, and most dont even know who won the war of independence...

:clap:

I think we all have already agreed that teachers should be well paid. It seems to be you who is closed minded here.

Teachers have a significant amount of vacation time comparatively speaking, with which they can earn money in other ways. That salary compensation for having 10-12 weeks off is pretty good. It should be better...but don't try to completely ignore the perks of your job. there are good perks.

The reason that teacher salary is so high is the large number of teacher's at the top end of the scale. Many teacher salary scales in the Boston area top out at ~$65k after FOURTEEN years on the job. They sure as hell don't start out there. Some districts offer longevity incentives that kick in after several years, but many don't.

They should certainly jack up teacher salaries, but also make it more difficult to ger credentials. Better educators would help us more than any other spot in society. unfortunately with the unions, they'll want the raise without the effort.

it's fairly difficult to get teaching credentials in MA. maybe that's a reason it pays better than other states, but the starting salaries are crap. Like less than $30K crap. JMO, teachers should start at a much higher level of compensation.

Both of my parents were public high school teachers in suburban Chicago throughout the '80s and '90s, so I know a little about this. Trust me, it's not a difficult job. Outside of coaching (the only part of the job that he liked), my father did pretty much the bare minimum and was regarded as one of the more competent faculty members at his school. He did absolutely nothing work-related at home outside of a few days per year and the only "work" he did during the summer was coaching. Again, that's a cakewalk job. I work 6 days a week and make a lot less than he did at the end of his career.

And, yes, tenure is almost a given unless you're completely incompetent or you piss off everybody around you... at least, in Illinois. My mother works with complete idiots who literally do nothing during the day and none of them had difficulty getting tenure. You almost have to be mentally ill to not get tenure at a public high school in IL... and even some of those people slip through the cracks.

it's fairly difficult to get teaching credentials in MA. maybe that's a reason it pays better than other states, but the starting salaries are crap. Like less than $30K crap. JMO, teachers should start at a much higher level of compensation.

$30K?! Most public high school teachers I know start at about $40K and most now make $65K-$75K after 15-20 years.

You know not of what you speak.

All teachers in NY must have a Master's Degree, pass national tests on general ed and in their certification area, and must continue to take classes/receive training. (There is a quota that I'm not sure of, I'm grandfathered.)

People will find this difficult to believe, but without unions the quality of education would actually go down. If union contracts didn't restrict class sizes what do you think would happen? More kids would be crammed into classes in an effort to cut teaching positions to save money. More kids in a class means more time on class management and less time on actual teaching. Anyone who has ever taught knows there is huge difference between a class of 20 and a class of 30(the current limit set by my union's contract).

As far as less work goes, there is a little thing called No Child Left Behind that has increased the workload of teachers and administrators with no extra compensation or funding (but that's another story).

I'm in no way saying that teachers are overworked and underpaid. I know I have a good thing working 180 days a year, I have good benefits and a pretty good retirement. But your remarks about teachers unions (and what is implied about teachers with that) are way off base and unfounded.

Both of my parents were public high school teachers in suburban Chicago throughout the '80s and '90s, so I know a little about this. Trust me, it's not a difficult job. Outside of coaching (the only part of the job that he liked), my father did pretty much the bare minimum and was regarded as one of the more competent faculty members at his school. He did absolutely nothing work-related at home outside of a few days per year and the only "work" he did during the summer was coaching. Again, that's a cakewalk job. I work 6 days a week and make a lot less than he did at the end of his career.

And, yes, tenure is almost a given unless you're completely incompetent or you piss off everybody around you... at least, in Illinois. My mother works with complete idiots who literally do nothing during the day and none of them had difficulty getting tenure. You almost have to be mentally ill to not get tenure at a public high school in IL... and even some of those people slip through the cracks.

I think that says more about the effort your father put into the job than the job itself.

Many teachers spend many hours outside of class doing school related work. A lot of that depends on subject area. IMO English teachers are the hardest working people in education. The amount of time spent reading writing assignments and correcting/grading them is unbelievable.

I think that says more about the effort your father put into the job than the job itself.

Many teachers spend many hours outside of class doing school related work. A lot of that depends on subject area. IMO English teachers are the hardest working people in education. The amount of time spent reading writing assignments and correcting/grading them is unbelievable.

That's true. And very few of them put in extra time to coach multiple sports like my father did.

LOL, if you want to see hard-working people in education, go to a research-oriented university and watch an assistant professor try to get tenure. You're guaranteed to see a minimum of 70-hour work weeks and no time for family on the weekends. What high school teachers do is nothing compared to that.

LOL, if you want to see hard-working people in education, go to a research-oriented university and watch an assistant professor try to get tenure. You're guaranteed to see a minimum of 70-hour work weeks and no time for family on the weekends. What high school teachers do is nothing compared to that.

I'm sure it's true about research-oriented university professors, but just because they may work harder than HS English teachers it doesn't diminish the amout of time and effort HS English teachers put in.