[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Damn Rob Schneider!

Big F'n Dave

Caught The Benchwarmers on DirecTV with my 10-year-old a couple days ago. One of the stupidest movies ever made. I laughed my f'n ass off.

One thing: For those who are unfamiliar with the movie, Rob Schneider's character tries (and eventually succeeds) to impregnate his wife. At the end, there's a big announcement that she's pregnant because he "went all the way with her."

Now my 10-year-old wants to know what "all the way" is. :D My wife says it's time to have "the talk," so I told him to get me another beer. She said that wasn't "the talk" to which she was referring. I've heard of "the talk," but I've never been a prime participant. My dad never gave me "the talk." Instead, I think he didn't say anything about the Playboys I used to sneak from his closet.

Who among you have had "the talk" with your kids? Exactly how specific were you? For instance, did you use the medical "peener and bagina" or did you go more kid friendly with "man rod and pickle cavity?" I may be freaking out about this more than I should, but I have the feeling he's gonna bring it up after baseball practice today.

Thoughts?

Edited by Big F'n Dave

my son is 10 but remains generally oblivious although I think that changes next year as we pull him from catholic school and put him into public school.

my advice is to provide very general information. If he is ready for more detail, he will ask follow-up questions. there are also books out there designed for a parent and child to use when having the "the talk" (and no, I'm not talking about Playboy).

Caught The Becnhwarmers on DirecTV with my 10-year-0ld a couple days ago. One of the stupiedest movies ever made. I laughed my f'n ass off.

One thing: For those who are unfamiliar with the movie, Rob Schneider's character tries (and eventually succeeds) to impregnate his wife. At the end, there's a big announcement that she's pregnant because he "went all the way with her."

Now my 10-year-old wants to know what "all the way" is.

Same movie, same question from my eight year old daughter. I put it off for now.

My wife says it's time to have "the talk," so I told him to get me another beer.

I sure hope "him" refers back to your son, and not your wife.

More specific on the very general information, please. :D

well, to answer his question:

When a man and a woman go "all the way", this means they want to have a baby together.

I know this is not entirely accurate as, on occasion, I have gone all the way with a woman and actually hoped against hope that she would not have a baby. However, a 10-yr-old tends to be a more concrete thinker.

I think it most important to simply make sure your son knows he can always come to you with any question and you will take the time to answer it. Then, as he needs more info, he will feel safe and comfortable enough to come to you and ask. His questions will guide your responses.

It's very funny that you two fellas have 10 yr old kids that are ready for the talk, as every year in the school I teach right around this time, if not in a month or two, our 5th grade kids' (10 yrs old) hormones start popping out of control. It seems as if they come into 5th grade hating the opposite sex and leave 5th grade outwardly stating who their boy/girl friends are. They also do all the corny, beginner stuff hitting on the other. You know that aggressive touching, hitting or pushing just to make contact, the notes are being passed, there's always a representative from the boy or girl to pass the message that so and so likes you, circle yes or no if you want to date them. My school also gives the 5th graders a program called Growing Up. They teach them all the basic parts of the male and female reproductive systems, menstrual cycle, puberty, intercourse, feelings/emotions, etc.

You got to give the talk about when two people love each other/are attracted to each other, they have these special feelings. They feel nervous and excited all at the same time, tell him it's the mature version but similar to the feelings of playing a video game and being on that last level to beat the game but have very little life left. Don't pull a cop out/use other names, the parts you will talk about are and should be referred to as penis and vagina. Tell him that the man and woman use these parts together to have intercourse/sex and then if the timing is right the woman gets pregnant and they have a baby. The discussion about Contraceptives will be soon to follow, as well as the talk about all the dangerous STDs that one could get if they aren't smart about choosing their partner, using contraceptives and basically keeping it in their pants at any early age.

If they want more details, as their parents we should be the ones to give it to them. They shouldn't leave you feeling as though you aren't being honest or are hiding something from them. Then they will find it out for themselves elsewhere and get into trouble.

Edited by irish

Don't pull a cop out/other names, the parts you will talk about are and should be referred to as penis and vagina. Tell him that the man and woman use these parts together to have intercourse/sex and then if the timing is right the woman gets pregnant and they have a baby. The discussion about Contraceptives will be soon to follow, as well as the talk about all the dangerous STDs that one could get if they aren't smart about choosing their partner, using contraceptives and basically keeping it in their pants at any early age.

I've heard of a thingy and a hoohah...what is this 'penis' and 'vagina' of which you speak?

I've heard of a thingy and a hoohah...what is this 'penis' and 'vagina' of which you speak?

I really don't know ask my parents they're the ones that told me about them. :D

I had the "talk"with my son a few years back. I explained in plain English the pros and cons, peer pressure etc. I explained how babies shouldn't have babies. He also got the point that he wouldn't have to worry about the girls father either. He is now entering Law School and is childless.

my kids also got the 5th grade speech at school where both sexes are in the room and a Nurse from the Hospital ( that also has kids at the same school) gives the talk......parents are welcome.....wife won't let me :D ......but she said it was straight forward facts and that all the kids eyes were like :D very quit and just taken in all the info.........I was kinda against someone else cluing my kids in but am glad now that step was done for me......

now the wife has layed ground rules for dating and what stuff is approiate............then when my wife isn't around on the weekends me and the kids while watching tv (always sex sh!t goin on) gives me a great time to use different fun words to explain what really happens and how you're viewed once you've F'd up.....tough love on a funny level.......but they seem to listen and start to talk abot stuff........

funny this came up - was watching Friday Night Lights this week, adn the coach's daughter (15) was going to have sex, and the mom kinda freaked while trying to have "the talk"- my wife said "I'm not going to freak that" (our daughter is 20 months so we got some time)- i looked at her and laughed cause she'd be hysterical if in the same situation - i figure i'd have an initial talk around 10, then take it from there....i got over 8 years to prepare, so think i'll be ok....

Wife and I are planning on getting some of the very very basics out there in the next few weeks ... our daughter is will be 8 this summer.

FWIW, she's heard some words from a couple of other girls in the neighborhood (one of whom we know was sexually abused) and she has some "misinformation" and we want to address them before she really has some unhealthy views on these sorts of things...