[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thermostat question

Puddy

Was having a problem with the digital thermostat this morning (White-Rodgers brand). If we turned the temperature above the current temp the furnace wouldn't kick on. However, if we turned it off and back on it would kick on. Decided to change the batteries since they are pretty old. When I put the new batteries in, it is reading the current temp as 75 degrees even though it was reading 70 degrees prior to changing them. Anyone know if there is a waiting period before it adjusts to actual temp or if I need to do something else (I have read the operating manual online).

Oh and AAA doesn't handle these things. :D

I have a different brand thermostat... but it usually takes about 10-15 minutes to come back to the actual temperature after handling. Body heat from your hands is what kicks it up. Also, if you're concerned about an accurate temperature, you could always put another indoor thermometer in the room for a day to compare the numbers.

Not an expert... hope that helps.

Higher than actual temp reading has happened to me, but maybe not the same reason as you. I'd definitely give it a half hour or so to see if it adjusts.

I use rechargables in my thermostat. If they are recently charged, they will be warm from the charger and the thermostat will read a higher temp until they cool down - about an hour...

Your own body temperature could give you a high temp after fiddling with the unit for a few minutes.

If you still have the manual or at least the model # you can look up the manual online. Some thermostats allow you to adjust the temp up or down if you feel the temp readout is incorrect. But you usually need some sort of code.

Or it may just be broken. Lowes or Home Depot sell them for 50 - 75 bucks. Pretty easy to install if you've got basic skills.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

My name is frenzal - nice to meet you.

:D

Well I finally called a professional. The thermostat kept acting up (wouldn't kick the furnace on unless I turned if off and on) and I don't want Mrs. Puddy to have to deal with getting up all night to turn the thing on since I'm leaving soon. $75 diagnostic fee plus overtime labor on Sunday. He hasn't arrived yet but I wonder why these things always happen on weekends.

I do have a $25 coupon from the yellow pages though.

:D

Well I finally called a professional. The thermostat kept acting up (wouldn't kick the furnace on unless I turned if off and on) and I don't want Mrs. Puddy to have to deal with getting up all night to turn the thing on since I'm leaving soon. $75 diagnostic fee plus overtime labor on Sunday. He hasn't arrived yet but I wonder why these things always happen on weekends.

I do have a $25 coupon from the yellow pages though.

Youre really gonna pay somebody to hook up two wires? ,and with a coupon. :tup:

Take the cover off unscrew the thermostat from the wall disconect the wires from the contacts and your done, replace the unit in reverse order. If you can change a tire you can do this .....oh wait a min. :D:doh:

Youre really gonna pay somebody to hook up two wires? ,and with a coupon. :tup:

Take the cover off unscrew the thermostat from the wall disconect the wires from the contacts and your done, replace the unit in reverse order. If you can change a tire you can do this .....oh wait a min. :D:doh:

I'll 2nd that....I'm far from Mr. Fix it but even I can change a thermostat.

Nope. I'm wasn't sure it was the thermostat, just a guess. I'm paying the guy to diagnose the problem and fix it on a Sunday.

Mrs. Puddy called me at the airport and said the guy feels the thermostat is fine and he went down and cleaned up some area of the furnace. $55 total out of pocket. I'm not sure why it was so cheap as the company said just coming out was $75 plus labor :D

Nope. I'm wasn't sure it was the thermostat, just a guess. I'm paying the guy to diagnose the problem and fix it on a Sunday.

Mrs. Puddy called me at the airport and said the guy feels the thermostat is fine and he went down and cleaned up some area of the furnace. $55 total out of pocket. I'm not sure why it was so cheap as the company said just coming out was $75 plus labor :D

Sounds like he replaced the filter. :D

That's easy ... Mrs. Puddy defrayed some of the finacial burden with personal services.

If that's the case Puddy, I'll PM you my cell number. I can do thermostats and filter changes for Mrs. Puddy's personal services. In fact I'll run over there after work today to make sure your contractor got the job done properly. :D

Edited by chiefjay

If that's the case Puddy, I'll PM you my cell number. I can do thermostats and filter changes for Mrs. Puddy personal services. In fact I'll run over there after work today to make sure your contractor got the job done properly. :D

tell his slippery little brother i said hi.........when ya get there...... :D

I'd be curious to know what he did. Puddy, any updates?

And how old is your furnace? How often do you change your filters? Cleaning something around the furnace doesn't seem to be much of a solution to me.

I think Puddy is :D right now but he'll be here about 3:00am EST to post a response. :D

Edited by chiefjay

Not sure exactly what he did until I get home. I know he didn't replace the filter (I actually do that every six months) :D

If you are using the standard 1" filter you should replace it every month. Once those things get dirt in them they really restrict the air flow to your furnace. Makes your blower work harder and can make your furnace wear out quicker.