[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cell Phones

muck

Lots o' questions:

1) I assume I can buy a phone and tell my provider to hook it up (rather than buy a phone from them) ... they don't like this, but they can and will do it. Am I right about this? FWIW, I'm on Sprint right now.

2) Anyone know of a particularly good deal? I have 2500 minutes / month for around $125; my wife and I share the minutes.

3) All I need a phone for is to call people and for a VERY easy to use calendar feature; I do nothing with a camera, the internet, texting, etc. Ideally, it would be small enough that I could put it in my front pocket (rather than wear on my hip). Suggestions?

Edited by muck

You can buy 'unlocked' phones on Ebay or whatever that are supposed to work on any provider. I don't really know anything about them past that, though.

Not totally true. Verizon and few others won't work if unlocked/hacked. It has something to do ID codes or some such.

Lots o' questions:

1) I assume I can buy a phone and tell my provider to hook it up (rather than buy a phone from them) ... they don't like this, but they can and will do it. Am I right about this? FWIW, I'm on Sprint right now.

2) Anyone know of a particularly good deal? I have 2500 minutes / month for around $125; my wife and I share the minutes.

3) All I need a phone for is to call people and for a VERY easy to use calendar feature; I do nothing with a camera, the internet, texting, etc. Ideally, it would be small enough that I could put it in my front pocket (rather than wear on my hip). Suggestions?

1) yes, usually you can (not gray market though)

2) that's a decent deal actually. There's a number of websites where you input your usage and it'll tell you the best deals out there (they get paid for click throughs to the providers sites, then if you actually sign up online, they get a commission on that)

3) don't bother buying a phone then - any provider will give you a basic one that's small enough for front pocket (i've never "worn" mine on my hip and always carried front pocket, and most of mine till my most recent blackberry haven't been an issue)

Not totally true. Verizon and few others won't work if unlocked/hacked. It has something to do ID codes or some such.

Oh really? I thought Verizon was one of the ones that the unlocked phones will work on. Well that sucks. Sorry about that!

1) yes, usually you can (not gray market though)

How would a neophyte know the difference?

2) that's a decent deal actually. There's a number of websites where you input your usage and it'll tell you the best deals out there (they get paid for click throughs to the providers sites, then if you actually sign up online, they get a commission on that)

Ok...I'll see if I can find one.

3) don't bother buying a phone then - any provider will give you a basic one that's small enough for front pocket (i've never "worn" mine on my hip and always carried front pocket, and most of mine till my most recent blackberry haven't been an issue)

The problems is that most of the small / basic phones have crappy calendar setups. I don't really care what sort of a calendar feature it is, just that it has one that is easy to get to and use. Currently, I don't have a blackberry...I'm wondering if I should get one...

Not exactly what I was looking for but....

Which companies have GSM in the USA?

There are two main companies that offer GSM service in the USA. AT&T and Cingular are now merged into one company, and the second company is T-Mobile.

If your service is with, eg, Sprint, Nextel, Verizon, or just about any other US wireless company, then you do not have GSM service and your phone can't be unlocked.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarri...nlockingfaq.htm

Oh really? I thought Verizon was one of the ones that the unlocked phones will work on. Well that sucks. Sorry about that!

They will activate phones not purchased directly through verizon wireless. Basically, the esn just has to be in their master data base (meaning that the phone has to have some affiliation with verizon wireless. ie originally distributed by a verizon wireless corporate store or authorized agent)

If you are looking at ebay for a phone ask the seller for the phone's ESN (electronic serial number). Then call your provider to make sure that the ESN is clean and can be activated prior to making the purchase. This will make sure that phone was not reported stolen and that the esn is not locked.

They will activate phones not purchased directly through verizon wireless. Basically, the esn just has to be in their master data base (meaning that the phone has to have some affiliation with verizon wireless. ie originally distributed by a verizon wireless corporate store or authorized agent)

If you are looking at ebay for a phone ask the seller for the phone's ESN (electronic serial number). Then call your provider to make sure that the ESN is clean and can be activated prior to making the purchase. This will make sure that phone was not reported stolen and that the esn is not locked.

Good stuff max! :D

Is what I posted true about Verizon and unlocking? That is GSM vs CDMA? I can take criticism! :D

I don't really know anything

True.

Muck basically if you sign up for a plan for any of the big companies they will give you a basic phone for free.

and you can get plans starting at $39.99 a month.

But here is a hint you don't need to go to these stores to turn on your phone. Just call Verizon Wireless direct and do a month by month plan. it's cheaper and you don[t have to lock yourself in to a 2 year deal.

All phone companies are like this, they just don't want to tell you because they make more $$ making you go to a store and buy a plan.

I'd recommend a Razor for what you're looking for. It will fit in your pocket and has a pretty decent calendar featrue that you can set up a shortcut for. That's what I have and I use my phone for exactly what you have decsribed. Blackberry will be overkill for you.

I'd recommend a Razor for what you're looking for. It will fit in your pocket and has a pretty decent calendar featrue that you can set up a shortcut for. That's what I have and I use my phone for exactly what you have decsribed. Blackberry will be overkill for you.

Now, this is what I'm looking for...

Danke.

...wondering...can I go buy a Razor for less than they sell at the store and get it hooked up?

Yeah you can get a Razr for nothing these days. It's the phone that every provider pretty much has now.

If you're looking for more then I recommend a Blackberry Pearl. I've had mine for about a month and it's top-notch.

Good stuff max! :D

Is what I posted true about Verizon and unlocking? That is GSM vs CDMA? I can take criticism! :D

It is correct that a GSM phone will only work with GSM carriers, CDMA w/ CDMA carriers, TDMA w/ TDMA cariers, etc. They would not be able to be activated on an account from another carrier.

I have a Sprint phone that is locked becasuse I thought I lost it so I made an insurance claim to get a new one. Well I found the phone a couple days after getting the new one and now they tell me it cannot be unlocked.

Does anyone know if this is true...if they lock it it can not be unlocked?

I have a Sprint phone that is locked becasuse I thought I lost it so I made an insurance claim to get a new one. Well I found the phone a couple days after getting the new one and now they tell me it cannot be unlocked.

Does anyone know if this is true...if they lock it it can not be unlocked?

Depends on who locked the ESN. If sprint was the one that put it on their lost/stolen file and locked it then they can unlock it. If it was the insurance company that added it to the lost/stolen file and locked it then the insurance company is the only one that could unlock it (sprint's hands would be tied).

Try calling Sprint and tell them that you recovered your phone. Verify your information with them and ask them if they can remove it off the list.

Depends on who locked the ESN. If sprint was the one that put it on their lost/stolen file and locked it then they can unlock it. If it was the insurance company that added it to the lost/stolen file and locked it then the insurance company is the only one that could unlock it (sprint's hands would be tied).

Try calling Sprint and tell them that you recovered your phone. Verify your information with them and ask them if they can remove it off the list.

Now that you mention it, when I asked at the sprint store they checked and said the insurance company had it locked.

When they sent me the new(refurbished) phone they said if I found the other to return it to them, but I'm not going to so they can turn around and sell it for $50, I'd rather keep it as a spare battery and such.

I couldn't bring myself to send it to them after I had just spent $50 and found it a few days later.