[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone know much about London?

muck

I'll be landing in London Tuesday morning and staying until mid-afternoon on Wednesday.

I only have a brief meeting late Tuesday afternoon, dinner and drinks that evening.

Any suggestions on what I can do for a few hrs mid-day on Tuesday and/or Wednesday morning?

Wife, kids, and I, spent 4 days there in 1979. I am preeetty sure that things have changed other than the usual, been around for 1000 years, attractions. However... there is no possible way to go wrong with those attractions. :D

I'll be landing in London Tuesday morning and staying until mid-afternoon on Wednesday.

I only have a brief meeting late Tuesday afternoon, dinner and drinks that evening.

Any suggestions on what I can do for a few hrs mid-day on Tuesday and/or Wednesday morning?

London is pretty big (spread out in size like Los Angeles), so it takes time to get around.

But the usuals are all near each other:

View the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace (11:30am).

View the Crown Jewels / Tower of London / Westminster Abbey / Big Ben (afternoon of touring)

Top 10 attractions:

http://www.londonforfun.com/Top-10-London-attractions.html

Tower of London and the British Museum were the best to me but no way you have time to see the museum.

With only a morning to see things, about all you will have time to do is some quick sight-seeing. That is one long flight for just 24 hours or so on the ground!

Briefly - it's expensive and the food sucks.

If you were there on a Sunday, I would recommend the Camden Market. As it is, I'd say go witht he suggestions, but be sure to ride the tube and Mind the Gap.

I'm not sure, but the British Museum might be free, and contains some VERY impressive pieces: from original Beatles songwriting to a part of the Partenon (which really in all good taste should be returned to Greece) and some of the finest mummies on display in the world (which really in all good taste should be returned to Egypt).

Edited by Pope Flick

I'm not sure, but the British Museum might be free, and contains some VERY impressive pieces: from original Beatles songwriting to a part of the Partenon (which really in all good taste should be returned to Greece) and some of the finest mummies on display in the world (which really in all good taste should be returned to Egypt).

LOL - that is what I thought when I was at the British Museum - did they leave anything in Egypt for them to look at?

Museum is easily a full day thing - no way he would have enough time. It was free when I went as I recall.

LOL - that is what I thought when I was at the British Museum - did they leave anything in Egypt for them to look at?

Museum is easily a full day thing - no way he would have enough time. It was free when I went as I recall.

That's why I think it might be his best bet: take the tube from where he's staying, get into the Museum area, check out what you can, walk the neighborhood, have a pint get back on the tube and split. The Tower of London kind of needs a structured tour, etc whereas the Museum you can just check out what you're intestered in, and if it's crowded go to another wing.

But yes, the British Museum could be renamed "The British Trophy Collection of Ancient Artifacts Plundered When We Controlled One Third of the World." There really is a level of wrongness in seeing this friesze in its entirety.....on the 2nd floor of a London building. Shameful, really.

Edited by Pope Flick

But yes, the British Museum could be renamed "The British Trophy Collection of Ancient Artifacts Plundered When We Controlled One Third of the World." There really is a level of wrongness in seeing this friesze in its entirety.....on the 2nd floor of a London building. Shameful, really.

So speaks the Irish Republican Army cheerleader, as bitter as ever.

One attraction not mentioned yet is St Paul's Cathedral, arguably the most magnificent building in the world.

So speaks the Irish Republican Army cheerleader, as bitter as ever.

:D

The only thing they took from Ireland, besides sons' and daughters' lives, were the trees. All of them. Every last one.

Yeah, they were real compassionate colonial leaders. :D

But yes, the British Museum could be renamed "The British Trophy Collection of Ancient Artifacts Plundered When We Controlled One Third of the World."

The same kind of thought struck me when I saw one of the jewels at the Tower of London being described as having been a "gift" from India.

:tup:

The only thing they took from Ireland, besides sons' and daughters' lives, were the trees. All of them. Every last one.

Yeah, they were real compassionate colonial leaders. :D

Look at it this way.....at least they made you realize you could build houses out of rocks instead of just living underneath them. :D

Don't rent a car , as they drive on the wrong of the road ...I understand the fish and chips are actually served in a newspaper ...you may want to avoid that as well

Mooning the queen is however optional

It is in newspaper, it is very greasy and it still has the skin left on the fish...