[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Libertarian vs. Republican

whitem0nkey

Libertarian vs. Republican  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Libertarian vs. Republican

• Libertarian
    • Republican

From reading different things on the net, it seems significant number of republicans would rather vote for the libertarian party but they don’t want to “throw their vote away” im just curious how you feel about this.

And please keep this a polite discussion.

I would say that this thread will get gunned because it is political, but then I realized that most libertarians seem to view their ideology as more of a religion than anything else so I'm thinking this thread is safe.

:D

Edited by wiegie

I would say that this thread will get gunned because it is political, but then I realized that most libertarians seem to view their ideology as more of a religion than anything else so I'm thinking this thread is safe.

:D

ideology as more of a religion ? i though Libertarians just wanted to make sure books were returned back in time :D

:tup:

I think a lot of people who vote for Democrats are actually libertarian, too. True libertarians who vote major party have traditionally sacraficed either their belief in personal freedoms to vote Republican or their belief in economic freedoms to vote Democrat. I do think that there are larger numbers of "Reagan Republicans" who are disaffected by the current GOP's lack of fiscal discipline (and to a lesser extent, the increasing influence of social conservatives).

Several elements of the Libertarian Party's platform are unworkable in modern society. However, I think that there are lots of people who agree that having a stronger libertarian influence in Congress would be a very good thing for the country right now.

Yup. I've considered myself a Republican since I turned eighteen many moons ago. I have always voted Republican on a local level. I did vote for Clinton, but I don't think anyone was particularly jazzed about the opposition. I will not blindly vote for anyone just because she or he's on the right side of the aisle.

We have over two-hundred years of history that shows a third party does not work on a national level in this country. It would take a significant historical event or a candidate with a ton of charisma to pull it off.

Since I don't see that happening, I'll probably vote Repulican locally again. I'm leaning towards Democrat for President. As it stands right now, both parties are spending money like it's going out of style. Since that's not going to stop, I might as well have the gubment spend the money on social programs and entitlements instead of lining the pockets of corporate America.

I think a lot of people who vote for Democrats are actually libertarian, too. True libertarians who vote major party have traditionally sacraficed either their belief in personal freedoms to vote Republican or their belief in economic freedoms to vote Democrat. I do think that there are larger numbers of "Reagan Republicans" who are disaffected by the current GOP's lack of fiscal discipline (and to a lesser extent, the increasing influence of social conservatives).

Several elements of the Libertarian Party's platform are unworkable in modern society. However, I think that there are lots of people who agree that having a stronger libertarian influence in Congress would be a very good thing for the country right now.

This pretty much sums it up......

I guess I've thrown my vote away for quite a few years. I wasn't a huge fan of Badnarik but still voted for him in 04. I don't know if there are any Republicans in Oregon but there is a strong Libertarian party with pretty good financial backing. Now if we can just get past that fear of throwing the vote away, maybe we can get people voting as they should :D

Throwing my vote away in 08,

SLD

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

From reading different things on the net, it seems significant number of republicans would rather vote for the libertarian party but they don’t want to “throw their vote away” im just curious how you feel about this.

And please keep this a polite discussion.

I once felt this way, but have grown comfortable "throwing my vote away" simply because I feel the two party system is broken.

Well said.

I once felt this way, but have grown comfortable "throwing my vote away" simply because I feel the two party system is broken.

I voted nearly straight-ticket for Libertarians last election. I don't consider voting for candidates who I agree with throwing my vote away. Throwing your vote away is voting for the lesser of two evils.