[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've been offered ............

Tom Brady. We keep 1 player in our auction league and the guy who is keeping Addai has offered him straight up for Tom Brady. We draft 3 QB'S (10 team league) - Start 2 - Draft 4 RB's - Start 2 - High performance scoring.

It is a PPR league so Addai has a little more value than some of the other 2nd to 3rd tier running backs. I like the fact that Addia will be getting 65-70% of the carries this year but I also think Brady is in for his biggest year of his career with the WR additions the Patriots have made this off-season. I have Brady ranked #4 behind Manning, Palmer and Brees. I have Addai ranked between #6-#9.

Would you trade Brady straight across for Joseph Addai?

If you yourself rank Addai between RB6-9 and rank Brady as QB4, do the deal. Or you could keep Brady, then take the top QB with your first pick (maybe Brees, Bulger, McNabb, etc.) and hope you get lucky drafting RB's that break out.

I agree as well. Even starting 2 QB's Addai could very easily be top 5. Between rushing and receiving yards he should put up great numbers.

Thanks Guys.

I normally would keep a RB over a QB with equal value. I ended the season with Ronnie Brown, Cedrick Benson, Jerious Norwood and Corey Dillon as my RB's. I can't "keep" Brown because he was my keeper last year (We can only "keep" the same player for 1 year).

I think Addia's probably the smart move given the fact that he shouldn't be a part of a RBBC in Indy but I have a great feeling about Brady with his improved receiving corp. Brady is the "safe" pick here too because he doesn't get hurt and you know he will start 16 games every year.

If I kept Brady I would look to spend minimal dollars on my other 2 QB's and have enough Cap room to spend a higher percentage on my RB's and WR's then the other owner's would have. Our Keeper's only cost us 50% of what they were drafted at, or picked up for through free agency. In both cases Brady and Addai would only cost $1.00 because Addai was dropped in week 2 and picked up for $2.00 and Brady was dropped prior to week 17 because the owner who had him didn't think he would play the last weekend and needed QB help. I immediately picked him up because I had Palmer and Bulger to start week 17.

Any more thoughts or advice?

I like the fact that Addia will be getting 65-70% of the carries this year

I think you're being WAY overly optimistic here. That would put Addai in line to be one of the top workhorses in the league, and he hasn't shown any evidence that he can function carrying that kind of load - plus you add in the injury factor with that kind of workload, which he has a history of. Then you can factor in that IND may be looking at adding another RB in the draft - probably in the 2nd round, I'd guess - who may very well share a significant part of Addai's load. They're going to have to add someone there if they are serious about contending for a SB again - and they obviously are.

In a start 2 QB league, I'd probably take the Brady end of the deal.

2nd year young stud RB or QB that isn't one of the top 3?? Shouldn't be a debate.

I can only assume by your answer that you either didn't read that it is a start 2 QB league or you have no clue about player value in a start 2 QB league.

Either way, your answer is poor, unless you meant that he should go with a top 5 QB instead of the RB.

I can only assume by your answer that you either didn't read that it is a start 2 QB league or you have no clue about player value in a start 2 QB league.

Either way, your answer is poor, unless you meant that he should go with a top 5 QB instead of the RB.

I am a bit concerned about Addai's ability to stay healthy too. It's one of the reasons that I am leaning towards Brady. Playing in a "1" player Keeper league I need to feel confident that the "guy" has a great chance of playing all year.

Back to the basic questions:

If you keep Brady what RB's do you expect to be available when you draft?

Now flip it around:

If you trade for Addai what QB's do you think will be available when you draft?

I think you just answered your own question.

Back to the basic questions:

If you keep Brady what RB's do you expect to be available when you draft?

Now flip it around:

If you trade for Addai what QB's do you think will be available when you draft?

I think you just answered your own question.

Here is the answer .... Keep in mind last year was the first year we "kept" a player so each of those players are available this year. You can only "Keep" a player for 1 season.

Top RB's available: (I'll rank them how I think they should be ranked)

LT

SJ

LJ

SA

Portis

R. Brown

Top QB's available:

Manning

(McNabb will probably be a keeper)

Palmer

Bulger

Vick

Hasselbeck

Looking at these lists it would probably be smarter to keep Brady for $1.00 and use some of my money to get one of the Top 4 Rb's. Where does Addai fall on this list? In my mind he falls somehere between 5 and 9. He has great upside, especially with Rhodes being in Oakland.

Edited by theprofessor

It would take a player a lot better than Tom Brady for me to consider not keeping Addai.

If you look at the numbers Tom Brady has put up, the last couple years, with arguably one of the worst WR crews in the league you don't see a huge increase in his production this year with the solid group of WR's he has at his disposal?

If you look at the numbers Tom Brady has put up, the last couple years, with arguably one of the worst WR crews in the league you don't see a huge increase in his production this year with the solid group of WR's he has at his disposal?

Take his comments based upon where they come from. Seahawks' mantra is , "All RB good, all other player suck". He does not take into account scoring systems or starting requirements when he answers questions. He has no comprehension that when you start 2 QBs instead of 1 that QB values skyrocket, especially those in or near the top 5.

Here is the answer .... Keep in mind last year was the first year we "kept" a player so each of those players are available this year. You can only "Keep" a player for 1 season.

Top RB's available: (I'll rank them how I think they should be ranked)

LT

SJ

LJ

SA

Portis

R. Brown

Top QB's available:

Manning

(McNabb will probably be a keeper)

Palmer

Bulger

Vick

Hasselbeck

Looking at these lists it would probably be smarter to keep Brady for $1.00 and use some of my money to get one of the Top 4 Rb's. Where does Addai fall on this list? In my mind he falls somehere between 5 and 9. He has great upside, especially with Rhodes being in Oakland.

SJ, LJ, and LT will probably end up going for at least 40% of your cap (WAG, based on not enough info). The QB will go for far less, Peyton being more expensive than the rest.

The question is are you willing to commit that much of your cap on one player? It will seriously degrade the rest of your team.

If it was me, even starting two QBs, I'd keep Addai, commit my cap to one of the top 3 RBs, and then value shop the QBs. The dropoff in QB isn't as much as the dropoff in RBs.

In a 10 team league there will definitely be enough QBs to go around to get two starters.

SJ, LJ, and LT will probably end up going for at least 40% of your cap (WAG, based on not enough info). The QB will go for far less, Peyton being more expensive than the rest.

The question is are you willing to commit that much of your cap on one player? It will seriously degrade the rest of your team.

If it was me, even starting two QBs, I'd keep Addai, commit my cap to one of the top 3 RBs, and then value shop the QBs. The dropoff in QB isn't as much as the dropoff in RBs.

In a 10 team league there will definitely be enough QBs to go around to get two starters.

Thanks DKF for your input.

I have this "gut" feeling that Addai is going to get hurt and miss significant time. I felt the same way about Shawn Alexander and dealt him a few days before our draft. That turned out to be the decision that led me to the Championship of my league. I am still undecided on what I want to do? It's great to hear these varying opinions.

I'm not sure. I've never played in a league where you start two QB's, but common since would tell you that starting QB's are going to be harder to come by than RB's because there are so many RBBC teams out there now. I mean really, how many teams actually only have one guy running the ball?

I'm not sure. I've never played in a league where you start two QB's, but common since would tell you that starting QB's are going to be harder to come by than RB's because there are so many RBBC teams out there now. I mean really, how many teams actually only have one guy running the ball?

Your challenge is determining whether passing on a strong RB or passing on a strong QB hurts you more in terms of the depth on your team. Very unusual that this league plays both 2 QBs and 2 RBs. Most 2 QB leagues I've seen permit 3 RB's on your weekly active roster. But with 2 each, the answer becomes a little fuzzier.

One thing that might make a difference is drop off rates. For example, using standard WCOFF scoring (which is PPR), the drop-off from the # 10 RB to the # 20 RB (10 team league remember) is from 242.9 to 197.8. The drop-off in QB fantasy points from # 10 to # 20 goes from 247.2 to 201.6. In other words, almost identical. It's the next level where the biggest difference shows up. The drop off at RB goes down to 155.6 at # 30, but for QB's at # 30 fantasy points drop all the way to 126.2.

If this league allowed 3 RBs to be active each week, I would say the answer in favor of Addai would be easy. But starting an equal number of RBs and QBs, with the shallower depth at QB, I would be strongly inclined to go with Brady.

And this is coming from a solidly RB kind of a guy, who in a normal roster usually waits until at least the fifth or sixth round to take a quarterback. All for what it is worth.

SuperChiefs / John

Edited by SuperChiefs

Your challenge is determining whether passing on a strong RB or passing on a strong QB hurts you more in terms of the depth on your team. Very unusual that this league plays both 2 QBs and 2 RBs. Most 2 QB leagues I've seen permit 3 RB's on your weekly active roster. But with 2 each, the answer becomes a little fuzzier.

One thing that might make a difference is drop off rates. For example, using standard WCOFF scoring (which is PPR), the drop-off from the # 10 RB to the # 20 RB (10 team league remember) is from 242.9 to 197.8. The drop-off in QB fantasy points from # 10 to # 20 goes from 247.2 to 201.6. In other words, almost identical. It's the next level where the biggest difference shows up. The drop off at RB goes down to 155.6 at # 30, but for QB's at # 30 fantasy points drop all the way to 126.2.

If this league allowed 3 RBs to be active each week, I would say the answer in favor of Addai would be easy. But starting an equal number of RBs and QBs, with the shallower depth at QB, I would be strongly inclined to go with Brady.

And this is coming from a solidly RB kind of a guy, who in a normal roster usually waits until at least the fifth or sisth round to take a quarterback. All for what it is worth.

SuperChiefs / John

Great response Super Chief. I appreciate your time. I have got caught up, in the past, focusing in on the "running back is the most important position in FF" common belief. But, when I started to change my focus on the RB, the more success I've had. Don't get me wrong, the Running back position is important but as the RBBC philosophy becomes more prevalent in the NFL the "other" positions become more and more important. If this offer was made to me 2 years ago I would have jumped all over it but I think I am going to stay with Brady in this situation. He's solid, plays every game and has the best group to throw to that he ever has.

With our roster requirements of 3 QB's (start 2) and 4 RB's (start 2) I think Brady's value is elevated. By getting him for $1.00 as my keeper with a $300.00 cap (18 roster spots) I can go two ways in my draft ..... I can pay $35-$48 for another stud QB (Palmer, McNabb, Bulger) and take a flyer on a $1-$6 QB late in the draft (Campbell, Schaub, Frye, T. Jackson) to fill in during bye weeks. Or I can pick up a 3rd tier QB like a Green, Culpepper, A. Smith type guy for $7-$16 to compliment Brady and a late draft low dollar pick and have a lot of cap space to go after a top 5 RB and still get a couple Top 15 WR's.

Edited by theprofessor