[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Swiss' mock draft

Swiss Cheezhead

Everyone thought the Bears would go TE last year too......I think they'll go OL in 2007.

And since then, I believe Jerry Angelo has stated publicly that he regretted passing on the top 3 TEs from last year's draft.

Also, Miller is VERY underrated, in my opinion. He's well past Olsen in terms of a complete skill set.

I know everyone is a critic regarding their homer team...but I do not see that #28 pick happenning. The Pats currently have 9 WR on the depth chart. I don't think they will add one in round one, particularly not after trading their round 2 pick for Welker.

I look for a LB, a RB, an OL, a DB, or a trade with their picks. The Meriweather (or similar player) pick is not a stretch at all.

That Pats' pick at #28 was one of the toughest for me. After getting Meriweather, they just didn't have any glaring needs anymore, and I think Bowe was the best value on the board. Plus, it's not like their WR position is all locked up. The way I see it: Stallworth is a good #1a or #2 WR, Welker is a slot guy, and any production from Washington would be a bonus. Bowe has good size, speed and overall skills -- plus, I'm sure Saban would have lots of nice things to say about him.

LB: They're NOT going to take a LB in the first round; that's roughly 100 picks earlier than the earliest they've ever taken a LB, right?

RB: They certainly don't need an RB badly enough to reach for the mediocre ones available. Plus, I think they'd rather have a vet to pair with Maroney than a rookie.

OL: Their OL is already in very good shape; I count 8 guys they'd be comfortable starting. That said, OL would be the 2nd most likely position picked. I could see them grabbing Ryan Harris, given the Weis connection.

DB: After signing Tory James, I don't see the Pats taking two consecutive DBs in the 1st. Eugene Wilson could play CB, too, even if they can't re-sign Samuel.

No way the Saints would let Bowe past them, especially not for the 5th best CB and Bowe played for LSU not Tech. :D

:D -- I had "Tech." listed for every LSU player.

I think you're wrong about Bowe, though. Their WR position was much worse last year, and they waited QUITE a while to address it. :tup: Any evidence to the contrary?

As long as we're adding commentary, I don't see the Colts going WR with their pick unless someone too good falls to them, which, since I've never even heard of Allison and I listen to Sirius NFL pretty much all day, leads me to believe that he does not fit that bill.

Maybe a DB though. There should be a good player available at #32. I could even see them trading the pick to draft some depth on defense.

Know nothing about these players first hand as I don't watch college ball, but most of the mocks i've seen have Allison going in the third round i believe so the 32nd overall could be a reach?

Allison is underrated. Without the amazing hands, his quickness, speed and route-running ability reminds me a lot of Marvin Harrison. To a team like the Colts, route running is a lot more important.

That's one of only a few "perfect" fits of need and value within their system. He'd be great as a 3-4 LB and great as a Cover-2 DE.

If the Steelers draft a guy in the first round with the intent to transition him from college D End to pro olb/de they will be wasting that pick.

You don't hope a guy can transition to a new position when you need the help there right away.

Especially one like Moss who already has a questionable work ethic.

Really? I'd be ecstatic if Ginn becomes a Packer (and I think he's probably the most likely pick at this point).

Ginn mid-1st would be HUGELY overdrafted. I don't see him at that level of talent.

Also, Miller is VERY underrated, in my opinion. He's well past Olsen in terms of a complete skill set.

I am just not sold on Olsen.

What is your take on Ben Patrick (TE Delaware)?

That Pats' pick at #28 was one of the toughest for me. After getting Meriweather, they just didn't have any glaring needs anymore, and I think Bowe was the best value on the board. Plus, it's not like their WR position is all locked up. The way I see it: Stallworth is a good #1a or #2 WR, Welker is a slot guy, and any production from Washington would be a bonus. Bowe has good size, speed and overall skills -- plus, I'm sure Saban would have lots of nice things to say about him.

LB: They're NOT going to take a LB in the first round; that's roughly 100 picks earlier than the earliest they've ever taken a LB, right?

RB: They certainly don't need an RB badly enough to reach for the mediocre ones available. Plus, I think they'd rather have a vet to pair with Maroney than a rookie.

OL: Their OL is already in very good shape; I count 8 guys they'd be comfortable starting. That said, OL would be the 2nd most likely position picked. I could see them grabbing Ryan Harris, given the Weis connection.

DB: After signing Tory James, I don't see the Pats taking two consecutive DBs in the 1st. Eugene Wilson could play CB, too, even if they can't re-sign Samuel.

few things here

i love the merriweather pick....ive been talking about him for some time now...and i think his character concerns are way overblown...especially if you dig deep and know what actually went on...the kid has started games at both safety spots and corner

first off..i agree...i just dont know about a receiver in the first...theres alot of depth at receiver in this draft...they could grab somebody later if they wanted...maybe a rhema mcknight from ND...i think chad jackson will be ready for training camp...and if hes good to go, the kid will be a beast, especially with stallworth and welker on the field

as far as not taking a linebacker in the first? well, they never took a skill position player in the first either, until last year...in fact they hadnt taken a guy in the first who didnt play on the line scrimmage, since belichick arrived, until year....so i wouldnt rule it out...i think they like jon beason alot...i think he can play inside in the 3-4 and he can cover...something tedy bruschi is no longer able to do...and it was a glaring weakness against the colts

as a notre dame fan, ive seen alot of ryan harris...i even saw him on tv when he was on mtv in high school..on a show about people trying to build their bodies...before he even arrived at notre dame...hes a good kid, good character guy, and a hard worker....but hes not that good...i think any team taking him before the 4th might be making a mistake...i saw him get beat way too often...anthony spencer from purdue owned him...and them two ends from ucla were in quinns face all day

as far as a rb....i would love, love, love to see the pats grab lorenzo booker in the 3rd round

my dream draft for the pats, at least as far as the first 3 rounds, would look like this

1 merriweather

1b beason or eric wright

3 lorenzo booker

Ginn mid-1st would be HUGELY overdrafted. I don't see him at that level of talent.

I have to just flatly disagree with you on this one. I have a bunch of friends who are Buckeyes fans , so I saw just about every Ohio St. game for the last two years. Ginn's 2006 didn't match everybody's hopes, but he's a true football player. There's no doubt he more than a return guy -- he's so fluid, there's no way he can't run routes.

And his speed....wow. It's truly astonishing.

I have to just flatly disagree with you on this one. I have a bunch of friends who are Buckeyes fans , so I saw just about every Ohio St. game for the last two years. Ginn's 2006 didn't match everybody's hopes, but he's a true football player. There's no doubt he more than a return guy -- he's so fluid, there's no way he can't run routes.

And his speed....wow. It's truly astonishing.

I came away from the OSU games more impressed with Anthony Gonzalez, who is very similar to Ginn and will come cheaper, though he lacks the game-breaking RS factor.

Maybe mid-1st wouldn't be a HUGE reach for Ginn, but I'd feel more comfortable getting him in the 2nd.

If the Steelers draft a guy in the first round with the intent to transition him from college D End to pro olb/de they will be wasting that pick.

You don't hope a guy can transition to a new position when you need the help there right away.

Especially one like Moss who already has a questionable work ethic.

We don't need help there right away. We need someone who can develop. Moss certainly wouldn't be coming in a a starter with Haggans and Harrison there. Harrison is the reason the Steelers were O.k. with giving up Porter. If Harrison is healthy, he has shown solid skills. Most of the Steelers OLB's have been transitioned DE's in college. I think Moss is a perfect fit.

A DE who fits the Cover-2 scheme. They don't need to be big -- they just need to be badass pass-rushers. Most teams wouldn't feel comfortable playing a 258-pound DE full-time, but a Cover-2 team wouldn't think twice about it.

And of course, you can only use that type of DE when your secondary plays primarily a cover-2 scheme.

No more reaching, please. Not in the first round. Especially not for a WR :D

I'm saying that say they trade down with Buffalo to 12 for a 2nd or whatever the value is there, then there may not be a WR that is slotted as a 12 but maybe as a 17 or something (Meachem or Bowe?). To me, that slight reach would be OK then because they made up the difference by obtaining the additional draft choice(s). I guess they could try trade down AGAIN, but WR is of such a need that why chance it?

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

I'm saying that say they trade down with Buffalo to 12 for a 2nd or whatever the value is there, then there may not be a WR that is slotted as a 12 but maybe as a 17 or something (Meachem or Bowe?). To me, that slight reach would be OK then because they made up the difference by obtaining the additional draft choice(s). I guess they could try trade down AGAIN, but WR is of such a need that why chance it?

i have Minny trading back twice down to 19 I think it is and taking BOWE