[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Azazello1313

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although the Dow is a narrow index, its crossing of the 13,000 mark is nonetheless symbolic of the strength of the 4-1/2 year old bull market.

She's been secretly making our economy better even before she became Speaker. She's a hero. :D

When did climbing out of a deep hole become climbing Mt. Everest?

Doofy logic.

If by "climbing out a deep hole" you mean the market has NEVER been higher, then yes, I guess you are right... :D

If by "climbing out a deep hole" you mean the market has NEVER been higher, then yes, I guess you are right... :D

Awesome!!

I'm with you: the atheist who supports theocrats and the gambler who supports the anti-gambers. You must have some secret knowledge.

Awesome!!

I'm with you: the atheist who supports theocrats and the gambler who supports the anti-gambers. You must have some secret knowledge.

Im just digging myself out of a hole...

Hey, Wiegie, why has the DJIA done this after 1980 when prior to that it was flat(tish) for decades? And is this sustainable?

First, that chart is linear, not a log chart. Click here for a better picture. You may care to notice that the flattest periods were from 1965 to 1982 and then again from 1999 to 2006.

Second, the DJIA is not the same thing as the Nasdaq Composite. See here for a picture of what that group of stocks has done since it was started in the early 1970s.

First, that chart is linear, not a log chart. Click here for a better picture. You may care to notice that the flattest periods were from 1965 to 1982 and then again from 1999 to 2006.

Second, the DJIA is not the same thing as the Nasdaq Composite. See here for a picture of what that group of stocks has done since it was started in the early 1970s.

So, does the log chart take account of the real value of money or what?

Here's another fun picture.

The demographics in the US today are pretty similar to Japans back in the late 1980s / early 1990s when the Nikkei was peaking. Anybody else interested in experiencing an 80% drop over 13 years?

So, does the log chart take account of the real value of money or what?

The chart you linked to distorts percentage increases ... 10% of $1,000 is $100 ... 10% of $10,000 is $1,000. Your chart would reflect the same percentage move as being 10x more significant on the higher dollar amount.

The chart I linked to shows the same 10% move as looking the same (in terms of magnitude up and down visually) regardless if the starting amount was $1,000 or $10,000.