[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tax and Spend Lib...Typical

Bocephus

but what would business do that need welfare :D

Like the Mall of America, looking for a state subsidy of $300m for parking ramps for it's extension.

Or Target, wanting tax breaks for it's new village in the west metro.

Or any of the legion of sports team owners wanting new facilities for their circus.

Or the oil companies still refusing to pay back lease money gained as a result of an error on the leases, never mind the enormous subsidies they get on top.

Or the tax forgiveness for Best Buy when it moved it's HQ here in Minny, with the city using eminent domain to get rid of the inconvenient people who lived there.

And on and on.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Arsa Majoris is saying that America is responsible for all atrocities committed over the last 230 years. There is also an underlying implication that he hasn't been laid in months.

Um....no. I was simply saying that Earth's population was last at a billion before America existed. It's a historical thing, Mr Professional Victim.

In fact I was wrong - world population passed a billion around 1810 or thereabouts.

Um....no. I was simply saying that Earth's population was last at a billion before America existed. It's a historical thing, Mr Professional Victim.

In fact I was wrong - world population passed a billion around 1810 or thereabouts.

I apologize. I thought you were trying to marginalize our Native American community with the empty comment and I just saw red.

Why do liberals see a tax as the solution to everything?

It isn't. A balanced budget is the solution to everything. Income needs to equal expenditure, roughly. If you can make the budget balance while not raising taxes and not cutting services (the things I pay for with my tax money) then hooray for you. But do not expect to have people like me ignore the massive fiscal problem people like you are passing to succeeding generations - some of us are not so self-centered.

thank you, thank you....i'll be here every night for the next few months. please stop by when u can.

So it's agreed next time a liberal points out that Bush probably wanted those too poor or too stupid to get out of New Orleans to die, you say "yup", and not go on a faux hurt-to-the-core-christian-values outrage ?

Why do liberals see a tax as the solution to everything?

There are some things that the private sector does better than the public sector and vice versa. For those things that the government does better, we need funds. Funds come from taxes. Any other questions?

There are some things that the private sector does better than the public sector and vice versa. For those things that the government does better, we need funds. Funds come from taxes. Any other questions?

Yes. Are there some things the government does that the private sector can/does do better that the government shouldn't be doing (and therefore shouldn't be collecting taxes for)? If so, what are they?

Yes. Are there some things the government does that the private sector can/does do better that the government shouldn't be doing (and therefore shouldn't be collecting taxes for)? If so, what are they?

Look at nuclear power in France vs. here.

Obviously plenty of things and I would hope that distinction is being made by people who know what the hell is going on. Then, of course, the tax policy can be change to reflect that balance.

I think the overwhelming sentiment among those of us who don't pitch a fit every time a tax is proposed is that it isn't as if that for the last 6 years, that balance has hardly been achieved. War, for instance, is gonna come out of the public money (though one could make a very good case for it coming out of the pockets of big oil but that's another topic for another day). We've got to pay for it somehow.

Considering the massive cost of Iraq and the costs involved with such unplanned situations like 9-11 and Katrina. Even if we gutted all the touchy-feely programs, continued to short-change education, and bailed on welfare, would we even have enough then? Honestly, I really don't know. Anyone have some insight here?

Anyone have some insight here?

Here ya go. Federal budget 2007, from Wikipedia.

Total Spending

The President's budget for 2007 totals $2.8 trillion. This budget request is broken down by the following expenditures:

* $586.1 billion (+7.0%) - Social Security

* $466.0 billion (+4.0%) - Defense

* $394.5 billion (+12.4%) - Medicare

* $367.0 billion (+2.0%) - Unemployment and welfare

* $276.4 billion (+2.9%) - Medicaid and other health related

* $243.7 billion (+13.4%) - Interest on debt

* $89.9 billion (+1.3%) - Education and training

* $76.9 billion (+8.1%) - Transportation

* $72.6 billion (+5.8%) - Veterans' benefits

* $43.5 billion (+9.2%) - Administration of justice

* $33.1 billion (+5.7%) - Natural resources and environment

* $32.5 billion (-15.4%) - Foreign affairs

* $27.0 billion (+3.7%) - Agriculture

* $26.8 billion (+28.7%) - Community and regional development

* $25.0 billion (+4.0%) - Science and technology

* $20.1 billion (+11.4%) - General government

* $1.1 billion (-47.6%) - Energy

Edited by Ursa Majoris

This is flat wrong. Sarbanes-Oxley is a HUGH pain in the ass but companies brought this entirely on themselves by flagrantly breaking the law and having pathetically lax practices. You give the government a chance to legislate, then you can bet your ass it will. If companies had got their $hit together as they should, no legislation would have been forthcoming.

I can hardly believe the affect SOX has had on my job. :D I'm doing 3 or 4 times the documentation I was pre-SOX. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's clear that companies are taking it seriously. Ursa is right - it's a real PIA.

I can hardly believe the affect SOX has had on my job. :D I'm doing 3 or 4 times the documentation I was pre-SOX. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's clear that companies are taking it seriously. Ursa is right - it's a real PIA.

A lot of companies have entire SOX sections doing nothing but compliance. It has to be taken seriously because auditors will nail your ass to the mast if they find lack of compliance - none of them want to go the Arthur Andersen route.

Fortunately, we're private so we're not subject to SOX.....yet.