[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

People who use DVR

MrTed46

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you like DVR?

I currently have TiVo but might (maybe forced) to switch to DVR.

Is this any good?

Assuming by DVR you mean the cable company provided system. From what I have been told, they work just as well, but the interface, etc. with Tivo is better. Again, that';s just from the few people I have talked with, that have had both. Functionally about the same, and, depending on how old your Tivo is, the DVR may be better as most allow you to record multiple programs simultaneously, something I can't do with my older Tivo... and I can't really justify the cost of a new one.

I have mine thru Comcast. It works well. But it doesn't recognize "New" episodes real well, so I usually have several copies of the same show every week. That could be a user error though also. Their instruction book sucks.

the DVR may be better as most allow you to record multiple programs simultaneously, something I can't do with my older Tivo... and I can't really justify the cost of a new one.

Yup! And I think I can watch another DVR rec. prog, whilst the other 2 are recording. Haven't needed to do that recently so memory fails me.

Edited by rocknrobn26

I have directv with the older dvr. I used to be able to record one show whilst watching another. Now, for some reason, I have to watch the show I'm recording. What's the point of that?

Love my Cable-provided DVR and will never go back. I couldn't sit through all those commercials during Heroes.

Or 24, ER, and Greys! Did I say Grey's? :D

I have directv with the older dvr. I used to be able to record one show whilst watching another. Now, for some reason, I have to watch the show I'm recording. What's the point of that?

Call Directv. You lost your second signal. This happened to me so they sent someone out. Ended up I needed a new box.

One of your inputs may be bad, or you may have a bad cable.

I have both the standard def and the high def DVRs from DTV and I love them both. Personally, I didn't have a huge issue adjusting from Tivo, but I have read lots of whining about it. Check out www.dbstalk.com for information and opinions and stuff.

I've got a DVR box through Comcast. While the box appears to be the same as the box I had in Seattle (still Comcast), the interface is nowhere near as good. I've read that Comcast / Tivo have some agreement and Comcast will begin using the Tivo interface at some point....if I remember correctly, it'll be Fall 2007.

I currently havt Directv box with TiVo but I am going to move so I am debating carrying Direvtv to my new home. I think they are offering free dvr upgrade if I renew my contract thats why I am asking.

If it wasnt for Football package directv would be gone a long time ago.

Be lazy with your DVR watching like me. Then you'd have plenty of recorded stuff to watch while you record two things at once. :D

My problem is I'm a TV addict and there are three things on at once I'd watch. Example: next Monday I want to see 24, Heroes, & the finale of King of Queens. I always record Heroes while I watch 24. Now I need another line for King of Queens.

I think I have a TV problem. I need help. :D

Call Directv. You lost your second signal. This happened to me so they sent someone out. Ended up I needed a new box.

One of your inputs may be bad, or you may have a bad cable.

I have both the standard def and the high def DVRs from DTV and I love them both. Personally, I didn't have a huge issue adjusting from Tivo, but I have read lots of whining about it. Check out www.dbstalk.com for information and opinions and stuff.

I was thinking something was wrong but just never got around to calling. It happened Sunday so I missed Desperate Hotwives. I'll call when I get home as I'm sure they'll want me jiggling my inputs about...Thanks!

I was thinking something was wrong but just never got around to calling. It happened Sunday so I missed Desperate Hotwives. I'll call when I get home as I'm sure they'll want me jiggling my inputs about...Thanks!

When you call Directv I'd leave out the part about you watching a women's show.

I currently havt Directv box with TiVo but I am going to move so I am debating carrying Direvtv to my new home. I think they are offering free dvr upgrade if I renew my contract thats why I am asking.

The DirecTV DVR is complete and utter crap. Do some googleing, they are HATED. Not only are the slow, have insanely high failure rates and problems, they suck compared to the newer Tivo's.

I have gone through 2, and I hate them. DirecTV didn't renew thier license with tivo, so they got their own branded DVR box, it is such crap.

You can still buy your own Tivo, and it will work, I am currently looking for one online.

I took them up on the offer to get a free DVR unit for a 2-year commitment to the service. A friend of mine had the DVR and loved it. Unfortunately, what I didn't know was that the unit he had, which utilizes the TIVO service, was replaced by a new unit, the DVR-R15. I'm 48 years old, and have always embraced technology, but I will state unequivocally that this DVR unit is the worst piece of technology I ever owned. The first one had to be replaced after 2 months use, and now I have been experiencing almost identical problems with the replacement.

http://www.mikesmets.com/2006/08/directv_dvr_dont_do_it.html