[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SI Reporting Vick involved with Dog Fighting

Unless Vick is actually convicted of something here what exactly will be the basis for a suspension?

That he was stupid? That he's black? That he is suspected of committing a felony? Seems like you could suspend more than half the NFL based on any of that criteria.

Now if he was being suspended because he sucks as an NFL QB ... that would be a sound basis for his suspension.

:D

What about Pacman then?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless Vick is actually convicted of something here what exactly will be the basis for a suspension?

That he was stupid? That he's black? That he is suspected of committing a felony? Seems like you could suspend more than half the NFL based on any of that criteria.

Now if he was being suspended because he sucks as an NFL QB ... that would be a sound basis for his suspension.

I could easily see severe punishment even if he weren't convicted if enough circumstantial evidence comes out that may not be enough to meet the legal criteria for conviction but shows that he most probably was involved. Dog fighting transcends may other idiocies in may people's minds - including my own. So it won't just be PETA that would be pushing Goddell to make a big statement, I would guess it would be a majority of football fans who are repulsed by such abhorent treatment of animals for the purpose of watching them rip each other to pieces for entertainment.

You're confused again Blitz. I was asking BB what he thought "Pacman" pretended to be.

Yes I understood your question ... I was just taking the opportunity to remind you that Vick is still not a QB ... and well that you can take Vick out of the hood but you can't take the hood out of Vick.

Yes I understood your question ... I was just taking the opportunity to remind you that Vick is still not a QB ... and well that you can take Vick out of the hood but you can't take the hood out of Vick.

Oh OK.

In other words you had no relevant comment about what Ursa, BB & myself were talking about.

and now the pressure starts to mount on Goodall

Link

A California congressman has joined the cause against Michael Vick, firing off a letter Friday that urged NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to "act swiftly and forcefully" if the Atlanta Falcons quarterback was involved in dog fighting on his former property.

U.S. Rep. Tom Lantos (D-Calif.) pointed out that he's a senior member of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which two years ago held highly publicized hearings on the use of performance-enhancing drugs in professional sports.

Lantos raised the prospect of government intervention if the NFL fails to discipline Vick.

"I am outraged that one of the National Football League's superstars is affiliated with such a heinous enterprise," Lantos wrote.

Last month, police raided a Virginia home owned by Vick and allegedly found evidence of a major dog-fighting operation, including dozens off malnourished and injured dogs. The quarterback has denied any wrongdoing, and no criminal charges have been filed against him.

Vick has since sold the home.

"The level of cruelty involved in exploiting animals to the point that 60 malnourished and injured dogs were removed from Mr. Vick's property is mind boggling," Lantos said. "I will view anything less than the strongest repudiation of Mr. Vick's involvement as tacit support for this atrocious activity."

The NFL has said repeatedly it is investigating the case to determine if Vick violated the commissioner's tougher standards for players who run afoul of the law. Reached Friday, Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts reiterated the team's policy of not commenting until the investigation is completed.

Calling himself a longtime advocate of animal welfare, Lantos joined two prominent animals rights groups that have called on Goodell to suspend or ban any players involved in dog fighting.

"As evidence of Mr. Vick's involvement mounts, I implore you to act swiftly and forcefully," the congressman wrote. "Your strong rebuke of dog fighting -- and those who promote it -- will send the message that this all-too-prevalent practice has no place in a civilized society."

In a not-so-subtle threat of possible congressional action, Lantos reminded the commissioner of his committee's efforts to Josh Gordon out those who use performance-enhancing drugs.

"I also suggest you educate your players on the illegality and cruelty of dog fighting to prevent this from happening again," Lantos wrote. "It is my hope that the issue of animal fighting will not require us to further investigate the behavior of your athletes."

Edited by Robash

What an a$$ this rep is. He's from California - no where near where this happened last I checked. Not like it's in his own back yard. Goodall has been cleaning house, so he should have nothing to worry about. Just a stunt by a waste of life politician who s looking for some publicity.

Go back to doing what you were elected to do and leave the real work to the qualified people. Moran. :D:tup::D

Edited by The Wolf

Congressman Lantos is clearly forgetting this... "Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank said he met with Vick and "could not have been more stern."

That should really be more than enough. Nobody should have to endure a stern talking to. In truth, I hope that Goodell doesn't suspend him until after at least a few regular season games have taken place, because I want to see the creative ways that fans heckle Vick in the stadiums. They'll probably throw dog food at him! :D

A California congressman has joined the cause against Michael Vick, firing off a letter Friday that urged NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to "act swiftly and forcefully" if the Atlanta Falcons quarterback was involved in dog fighting on his former property.

Lantos raised the prospect of government intervention if the NFL fails to discipline Vick.

Not sure I understand where this congressman is coming from.

When it's proved Vick is involved in dog fighting (regardless of whether it occurred on his property or not), seems to me the government is going to be intervening regardless of what the NFL does.

Vick's going to be doing some jail time. :D

Not sure what more the NFL can do to Vick, discipline wise, while he's cooling his jets in the pokey & making sure not to drop the soap.

Unless the congressman is talking about the NFL suspending Vick upon his release, but that's a given?

Congressman Lantos is clearly forgetting this... "Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank said he met with Vick and "could not have been more stern."

That should really be more than enough. Nobody should have to endure a stern talking to.

:D Send him to Guantanamo and have the dogs give him a stern talking to.

Not sure I understand where this congressman is coming from.

When it's proved Vick is involved in dog fighting (regardless of whether it occurred on his property or not), seems to me the government is going to be intervening regardless of what the NFL does.

Vick's going to be doing some jail time. :D

Not sure what more the NFL can do to Vick, discipline wise, while he's cooling his jets in the pokey & making sure not to drop the soap.

Unless the congressman is talking about the NFL suspending Vick upon his release, but that's a given?

yea but with the way the legal proccess is, he probably wouldnt be tried until after the superbowl

yea but with the way the legal proccess is, he probably wouldnt be tried until after the superbowl

I really don't think this Californian politician is doing anything more than getting his name in the news by latching onto a hot topic for some free publicity.

We've got the toughest Commish in a long time, who's handing out suspensions like candy on hallowen.

Lantos needs to chill out, Goodell's got it.

Edited by Big Score 1

I'm ready for this story to be over to tell the truth, and if I were an Atlanta fan, I'd want to know if Joey was at the helm or not. This just has bad karma written all over it and if Vick does play this year.....all those injured or destroyed dogs? Karma can be a nasty beyotch at times....if ya play...watch it Vickster.

Not wishing anything on anybody.....but Karma :D