[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fitness gurus

Chavez

In regards to staying hydrated...it's recommended that you have between 8-10 glasses of water a day. It is assumed that this is from an 8oz. glass. So, in other words, you need somewhere between 64 and 80 ounces of water per day. This, coupled with stretching regularly will be the most beneficial. The rest will be just getting back into shape so your legs can sustain that workout.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more different thought. Is your bike set up right? I mean a lot of people, (adults), are riding a bike with the seat way to low. That seat should be high enough, (bike big enough), that on the down stroke you leg is almost completely straight.

This really does make a hugh difference.

Seat is high (sometimes I worry that it's too high) and tires are correctly pressurized.

I massaged out the muscles last night and this evening, and have been paying more attention to getting enough fruits and water. We'll see.

Along these lines, if you aren't taking a quality men's multi-vitamin daily, try to do so.

Yeah, do that! :D

...they did find an increased risk of advanced and fatal prostate cancer among men who used multivitamins more than seven times a week, compared with men who did not use multivitamins.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...tn-mu051007.php

Well, this is the 2nd day of my 4th week (I haven't been riding EVERY day, but it's at 13 out of a possible 22 - not the worst) and my legs are finally starting to keep their pop. I Supertramped it after work today (took the long way home) and feel pretty good.

I am eschewing multi-vitamins in favor of an increased intake of fruits and veggies.

Well, this is the 2nd day of my 4th week (I haven't been riding EVERY day, but it's at 13 out of a possible 22 - not the worst) and my legs are finally starting to keep their pop. I Supertramped it after work today (took the long way home) and feel pretty good.

I am eschewing multi-vitamins in favor of an increased intake of fruits and veggies.

Can't say much else than has already been said but, I do :D the effort and the hope you can keep with it. I am going on a trip this weekend, but plan on hitting it hard (or at least trying again :D ) when I get back.

Feeling better about yourself as well?

In regards to staying hydrated...it's recommended that you have between 8-10 glasses of water a day. It is assumed that this is from an 8oz. glass. So, in other words, you need somewhere between 64 and 80 ounces of water per day. This, coupled with stretching regularly will be the most beneficial. The rest will be just getting back into shape so your legs can sustain that workout.

I would push that to a gallon(128oz) per day. Water is your best friend when working out. Your on the right track with your fruits and nuts as well. Make sure each day you take a multi.

Last but not least, stretch out as much as possible. It will make you sleep more soundly.

I would push that to a gallon(128oz) per day. Water is your best friend when working out. Your on the right track with your fruits and nuts as well. Make sure each day you take a multi.

Last but not least, stretch out as much as possible. It will make you sleep more soundly.

Yup, I agree with Missoula here. 8-10 glasses is fine your your "typical" 165 pound person who is low to moderately active.

If you weigh more, or are more physically active, you need more. I have heard that for a regularly active person, as much as 1 fluid ounce per pound of body weight is about right, though, for much bigger guys, that can be a lot of water. Somewhere between 4-6 liters (about a gallow to a gallon and a half) is my goal, though I have not been so good at hitting that target lately.

1 fluid ounce per pound of body weight is about right

If you hear about an alarming drop in Lake Michigan's water levels.... :D

Good advice on the hydration, diet, etc. but to rejuvinate and loosen up beat up leg muscles.........

Epsom Salts. Seriously. Chit works, try it.

I tried mixing epsom salt with water and drinking a couple of glasses after exercise...that only made me feel sick.

I wasn't fishing, just wondering if you feel better now that you're excersizing. :D

Eh, about the same - I have more stamina, which is good - can definitely tell the difference in cardio. But my body feels about as beat up as ever, which I've taken as just an unfortunate effect of my line of work.

Also, I'm pretty clearly eating better, if not necessarily less, which also is helping. No significant weight loss or anything, though my wife contends she can tell.

• 4 weeks later...

Legs feel OK - still a bit beat-up feeling but I think that's just something I'll have to live with.

But the love handles and beer gut are starting to shrink - my wife says she noticed that a while ago, but it didn't seem like it to me.

Also, Monster Magnet's 25...tab is a good CD to pound out some miles to.

Also, Monster Magnet's 25...tab is a good CD to pound out some miles to.

You listen to a headset while riding? Just as an FYI, that's appearently illegal in most areas. Just wanted to warn ya that its not very safe, be careful. I've been working out around 5-6 days a week for 5 weeks now alternating running one day with riding the next. I like you have the tired legs, but I expected it, I was out of shape and No Pain No Gain. I dont see significant weight loss either, but people have noticed even though I really haven't. I've cut down on portion sizes and started taking a multi vitamin again. At this pace in about 6 months I should be where I want to be.

I started hitting the tread mill last Wednesday. I've been on it 4 times since then, and I'm walking around like I have a corn cob up my ass. I'm drinking plenty of water, and going to get a massage tonight. I may pull the bike off the rack if we get a cool spell, but I don't have any desire to ride in 90 degree heat with 85-90% humidity.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Eh, about the same - I have more stamina, which is good - can definitely tell the difference in cardio. But my body feels about as beat up as ever, which I've taken as just an unfortunate effect of my line of work.

Also, I'm pretty clearly eating better, if not necessarily less, which also is helping. No significant weight loss or anything, though my wife contends she can tell.

Try to eat 5 small meals a day. Supplement with a protein shake in the morning and before you go to bed. Dont miss any meals. Your body will absorb fat much faster if you fast and then eat a bunch of food at once.

My 2 cents..

Rest every other day, push a bit harder each time on the days you do ride. build those atrophied muscles back up!! plenty of electrolites while riding back may help. there is also this stuff called andro...... three weeks and tired legs will be a thing of the past

You listen to a headset while riding? Just as an FYI, that's appearently illegal in most areas. Just wanted to warn ya that its not very safe, be careful.

I don't normally listen to a headset, but this was a pretty straightforward ride in a low-traffic area, at a low-traffic time, on a low-traffic day. I doubt I'll use it for anything other than trails, mainly.

As far as the legality of it, the cop who pulls over this bicyclist for having earbuds in will certainly get an earful about all the asinine behavior I see every day that doesn't get stopped (I figure if you're gonna get a ticket anyway, make it worth your while).

I started hitting the tread mill last Wednesday. I've been on it 4 times since then, and I'm walking around like I have a corn cob up my ass. I'm drinking plenty of water, and going to get a massage tonight. I may pull the bike off the rack if we get a cool spell, but I don't have any desire to ride in 90 degree heat with 85-90% humidity.

I've found that riding in that weather is better than running - or even sitting around in a pool of sweat.

At least you have a 15-20 MPH breeze when you're riding, as opposed to the normal "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"-type dead air.

• 4 weeks later...

The joy of sublimation - my bosses f*cking SUCK and I was pissed off all day. Leaving work, I said "f*ck it," filled up the Camelback, and pulled a ~20 mile ride. It was a beautiful thing.

I don't normally listen to a headset, but this was a pretty straightforward ride in a low-traffic area, at a low-traffic time, on a low-traffic day. I doubt I'll use it for anything other than trails, mainly.

Um, I rarely DON'T listen to it now. I figure stay alert and you're OK. Besides, if a car is coming up behind you, by the time you hear it, it's too late anyway.