[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft strategy

cmutts

In a 12 team league, I have decided to keep Leinart, LJ, MJD. I will be picking 1.5,2.8,3.5. Without all the keeper players know yet I am trying to decide the best way to draft based on who should be kept per team. Nobody drafted last year in the first 4 rounds can be kept. If I went WR/WR/RB I could grab Steve Smith, probably Boldin and then get a backup RB( at this point have to assuming that the top 20 are gone ). Or I could go RB/WR/WR. I could take either Addai/Rudi/Bush and then get Boldin and say Walker/Evan/AJ. No ppr, 1 pt every 10 yards and 6 pt td's. We start 3 WR's every week so WR/WR/WR is also an option but I fear that I will have no depth at RB if I do this. What do you think is the best strategy?

Sent you an e-mail on this (sorry, had been a couple days since I checked), but, IMO, you go RB as Addai or Rudi give you real good depth and insurance at RB, and it seems there are plenty of WRs to choose from that quality will still be there for your 2nd and 3rd picks

Sent you an e-mail on this (sorry, had been a couple days since I checked), but, IMO, you go RB as Addai or Rudi give you real good depth and insurance at RB, and it seems there are plenty of WRs to choose from that quality will still be there for your 2nd and 3rd picks

I'd have to disagree with this. If Addai or Rudi are available, yep, you jump on those guys. But from what I've seen both guys are going in the top 10-12 picks in drafts. I don't see how those guys are not being kept in a keep-3 league. If you're looking at the lower #2 RBs you might consider going WR/WR with your 1st 2 picks. There are probably only 10-12 bonafide stud WRs who will get theirs - barring injury - regardless. The rest of the WRs waiver every year, with some venturing into top 10 territory only to fall out - sometimes way out - the following year. The mid-range WRs are the hardest players to predict performance from year to year. If an owner can get a couple of the top 10 WRs and then fill in with values later - guys like Ward, Coles, etc who are vets who also are reliable targets for their QBs and are available after the sexy set of young WRs go after the top 10-12 guys, his WR crew will be as strong or stronger than any other in the league, and depending upon league scoring can easily carry an owner well into the playoffs.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Why are you keeping Lienart?

If you are sticking with those keepers then I'd go WR WR RB.

IIRC based on the e-mail I was sent, only players taken after the 4t hround can be kept, and they cost the pick in which they were taken. He has LJ and MJD at good value, and the other options were WRs that cost fairly early picks compared to Leinart who costs an 11th round pick (again, this is basing off of memory, don't have the full details in front of me)

IIRC based on the e-mail I was sent, only players taken after the 4t hround can be kept, and they cost the pick in which they were taken. He has LJ and MJD at good value, and the other options were WRs that cost fairly early picks compared to Leinart who costs an 11th round pick (again, this is basing off of memory, don't have the full details in front of me)

Keeper rules: A player who is kept will cost you 1 round higher the next year. Once they are drafted in the first 4 rounds, the player can not be kept the following year.

The reasons for keeping Leinart are as follows:

He could easily be top 12 this year stat wise. He has two stud wr's, a great new coaching staff and on paper, a very favorable schedule expect for a couple tough games. Leinart could be a top 10 Qb for years to come. Granted he could break a leg or get thrown in jail with Paris. I feel that for an 11th round pick how can you go wrong??? Other QB's who will be or have been keepers: Palmer, Brees, ELi, Vince, Rivers, Cutler, Romo

RB, duh. Draft a good RB then trade them for any WR you want. I think we've seen this scenario enough times by now.

:D

Seahawks uses every pick in his draft on a RB & then trades them afterwards for studs at other positions. Unbeatable strategy - kind of like the Crane technique in the Karate Kid.

Taking RB's with all my picks was how I ended up with Peyton Manning, Torry Holt and Antonio Gates to go along with the three RB's I decided to keep. Hence, in the money every year since.

A guy in our league last year decided to keep zero and enter the Reggie Bush sweepstakes. He picked RB's with his first six picks, and nine out of his first ten. He went 8-9 in his first year of the project and already has one of the best sets of keepers in the league. He'll keep 5 RB's this year, decide on 3, trade for any QB's and WR's he wants, and become absolutely stacked.

Edited by Seahawks21

Taking RB's with all my picks was how I ended up with Peyton Manning, Torry Holt and Antonio Gates to go along with the three RB's I decided to keep. Hence, in the money every year since.

All you're putting forth is that you need to play in leagues with better owners. Leagues with savvy owners would lowball you for an overstocked position - even if it were RBs - and force you to squirm with your personnel decisions until you were forced to cave in or finish last.

All you're putting forth is that you need to play in leagues with better owners. Leagues with savvy owners would lowball you for an overstocked position - even if it were RBs - and force you to squirm with your personnel decisions until you were forced to cave in or finish last.

+3

+3

Please. At least 75% of owners in any league will accept a trade that makes their RB position better, regardless of how many extras another owner may have. If you are an owner that needs a RB, isn't the first call you make going to be to an owner that has a surplus at RB?? Now, in re-draft leagues, my theory is not applicable, but in dynasty/keeper leagues, young RB's are gold, and the richest wins. You will never have any problems unloading RB's in a keeper/dynasty. Your theory sounds good, but doesn't hold water in reality.