[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To the smokers... that want to quit.

Thews40

I'm going to quit smoking on Monday. I've done this enough times to know what to expect. The first 24 hours is the hardest, and my evil monkey speaks to me. Rationalizing all the reasons why today isn’t the best day to quit. I know it is the best day and I have to decide that now. Once the first 24 hours has passed, my evil monkey gets pissed off.

The second day is hard, but not as hard as the first. I find solace that day one is over, and if I were to cave I’d have to go through it again. 48 hours passes and evil monkey is dying. After the third day is over the chemical need in the body is gone, and it’s all mental. In two weeks you won’t even think about cigarettes anymore.

I’m doing this for me, and I’m telling you so I’ll be held to it. If I fail, which I won’t, I’ll confess. …must …not …fail. If you’re a smoker and planning on quitting someday, pick the someday. Is it a year from now? 5 years from now? Never…? How about this Monday? If you want to quit you just have to stop doing it and go through whatever pain it causes you for a short while. You can’t cut down and you don’t need a patch. The patch makes it harder (I’ve never used them) because the chemical addiction is still fed… it’s like a life support for your evil monkey. Eat a lot and stay occupied… I picked Monday to quit so I would have 5 days under the belt before the weekend.

I'm going to quit smoking on Monday. I've done this enough times to know what to expect. The first 24 hours is the hardest, and my evil monkey speaks to me. Rationalizing all the reasons why today isn’t the best day to quit. I know it is the best day and I have to decide that now. Once the first 24 hours has passed, my evil monkey gets pissed off.

The second day is hard, but not as hard as the first. I find solace that day one is over, and if I were to cave I’d have to go through it again. 48 hours passes and evil monkey is dying. After the third day is over the chemical need in the body is gone, and it’s all mental. In two weeks you won’t even think about cigarettes anymore.

I’m doing this for me, and I’m telling you so I’ll be held to it. If I fail, which I won’t, I’ll confess. …must …not …fail. If you’re a smoker and planning on quitting someday, pick the someday. Is it a year from now? 5 years from now? Never…? How about this Monday? If you want to quit you just have to stop doing it and go through whatever pain it causes you for a short while. You can’t cut down and you don’t need a patch. The patch makes it harder (I’ve never used them) because the chemical addiction is still fed… it’s like a life support for your evil monkey. Eat a lot and stay occupied… I picked Monday to quit so I would have 5 days under the belt before the weekend.

I started when I was 13 and quit cold turkey when I was 27. Just like that.

I started again about a year ago (I'm 35). Not good. I WILL be quitting again soon. Good Luck! :D

What's the bit - "there are two types of people, smokers and non-smokers; you aren't puffing on cigarettes, but you're still a smoker. Change your mindset."

I started when I was 13 and quit cold turkey when I was 27. Just like that.

I started again about a year ago (I'm 35). Not good. I WILL be quitting again soon. Good Luck! :D

Weird how that happens. I quit in 2003 cold turkey and went 3 years without a smoke. Now I've been having one every week or so when I go out. It's accelerating, though... and I could find myself a full time smoker again in no time if I'm not careful.

Weird how that happens. I quit in 2003 cold turkey and went 3 years without a smoke. Now I've been having one every week or so when I go out. It's accelerating, though... and I could find myself a full time smoker again in no time if I'm not careful.

It started when my wife would light one up and I'd take a drag. Then I was taking 3-4 to work with me;2 for the morning , 2 for after lunch. Now I smoke a pack a day. Don't do it man.

What's the bit - "there are two types of people, smokers and non-smokers; you aren't puffing on cigarettes, but you're still a smoker. Change your mindset."

I have to disagree. Started when I was 17 & smoked for 20+ years. Quit twice once for a year and once for almost 6 months, and started back. I have not smoked for almost 6 years now, but I know that I am still a smoker, and I will be until I die. That is the only way it can be for me. The day that I tell myself I am no longer a smoker, then that will be the day I start thinking that it would be ok to have just one.

I know there are some that quit, and never think twice and I do envey those people, but I also know there are those like me.

Best of luck Thews, the only way you can do it, is to do it for yourself

Edited by rbmcdonald

You’re dancing with the devil Atomic… your once dead monkey is luring you back

It started when my wife would light one up and I'd take a drag. Then I was taking 3-4 to work with me;2 for the morning , 2 for after lunch. Now I smoke a pack a day. Don't do it man.

How about Monday you kick too? At least try… you might make it. A little support here may push you past it.

Started smoking when I was 10. When I got down to 2 packs a day (I was in my 30's) it felt like I had quit. :D I enjoy it. However, I know that I need to quit soon...so I figure oh, another 10-15 years and I will give it a big effort. Until then.... I enjoy it.

I will tell ya...quitting cold turkey seems the way to go. My wife smoked for 25 years...went to work one day and left her cigarettes and lighter on the end table and didn't ever have another cigarette. 15 years worth of "sure could use a cigarette" is what she went through..so you never really lose the "want".

More power to ya Thews.... here's hoping that you can handle the "want" and are very successful in your quitting. I'm pullin' for ya.

I was a light on-and-off smoker for about 10 years (sometimes it was a pack a week, sometimes it was a pack every two months) and quit about four or five years ago. I wouldn't say it was easy, but I wouldn't say it was that difficult, either. I might have a smoke with a friend at the bar every now and then, but haven't felt a strong craving in about 5 years.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I will tell ya...quitting cold turkey seems the way to go. My wife smoked for 25 years...went to work one day and left her cigarettes and lighter on the end table and didn't ever have another cigarette. 15 years worth of "sure could use a cigarette" is what she went through..so you never really lose the "want".

This is very true. I quit about 7 years ago and even after all that time every now and then I it still hits me, "Damm, I sure could use a smoke". But is is usually a short-lived thought.

I'll never go back to them fu@king things again.

I'm down to under a half pack a day. On vacation next week with lots of drinking so we'll see how it goes. :D

I weening myself. Tried to quit cold turkey and it wasn't purty.

You're going the route I went Tim. When I decided to quit, after numerous gimmicks and methods, I started allowing myself a half pack a day(I smoked about a pack to a pack and a half a day). This didn't really bother me much. I would save most of my 10 cigs for the evening when I got home from work. I went 2 weeks like that. Then, every week from then on I cut it down by one. I actually went 2 weeks when I got down to one. Don't know why I did this, just hanging on I guess. But I've been smoke free for almost 2 years now. I won't lie about still craving one more than once in awhile, especially when I'm drinking. Now I need to get my SO to quit so the emphysema(beginning stages-different thread) doesn't kill her. Good luck Thews. Mind power, that's all it is.

Smoking is a multiple thing, i.e. it's physical, mental; even the holding of it gives us gratification! This is the first year where I feel it....the toll that is. Nothing major, just getting tired of minor symptoms. :D

I, like Sky, have been smoking tooo long. YES I enjoy it! I quit for 2 months 5 years ago. Re-started by buying a pack and throwing away what was left before I got home. Didn't work. :D

I think there are at least 2 types of smokers:

Case #1) Those that can give it up, maybe have a butt now and then afterwards but whatever they smoke it's minimal, harmless, and abstention doesn't drive them crazy.

or

Case #2) Hardcore people like me. The 2 months I quit it was always on my mind. Had a hard time sleeping, was an wascaly wabbit, etc..

If you are case #1 then you'll probably never miss it. On the other hand if you are case#2 you will always crave it! ALWAYS!!!!

You never be able to have an occasional butt! I am case #2! I truly believe it's in our DNA! Not an excuse, just a cause and effect.

My date is June 4th.. Why???? It's my 35th wedding anniversary. Why then? Why not!

I'll ask for prayers if I need them. And to all who want to quit................my prayers and empathy are w/ you!

How'd you make out this week?

I caved. I finalized my child support through my lawyer today, and the stress has been huge this week (ex#1 is a lunatic). I quite three times until 4:00, but caved Thursday and gave in. I have an evil monkey... target next Monday.

I'm down to under a half pack a day. On vacation next week with lots of drinking so we'll see how it goes. :D

I weening myself. Tried to quit cold turkey and it wasn't purty.

I am not a smoker and never have been, but I have been around the block enough to see the obvious link between drinking and smoking. I know many would rather be dead then do this, but maybe quiting drinking (even casually) would help kick the smoking habit... just a thought. It's not connected for everyone, but I'm sure it is for many.

Argh. Same as me. Went at least a full three years without and was completely smoke free. THen went on a fishing trip and smoked a few cigars :D I new better, but once a smoker always a smoker. Now I'm on the Josh Gordon again and plan on quitting soon (but not today) :D.

By the way, my experience is that cold turkey is the ONLY way to go. For sure the "weening off" strategy does not work.

My nephew went to a hypnotist and joined a gym. Has worked for him for about a year.

Considering the recent Jaxfactor thread, everyone please just quit!

I caved. I finalized my child support through my lawyer today, and the stress has been huge this week (ex#1 is a lunatic). I quite three times until 4:00, but caved Thursday and gave in. I have an evil monkey... target next Monday.

Keep trying!! It's one of the best things you'll ever do for your body!

I quit many years ago, and for the first three years or so it was tough not to start up again. The longer I was able to resist, the easier it got to stay a non-smoker. I don't crave smoking at all anymore. Smoking can be beaten, and you can be successful too!!!!!

Argh. Same as me. Went at least a full three years without and was completely smoke free. THen went on a fishing trip and smoked a few cigars :clap: I new better, but once a smoker always a smoker. Now I'm on the Josh Gordon again and plan on quitting soon (but not today) :D.

By the way, my experience is that cold turkey is the ONLY way to go. For sure the "weening off" strategy does not work.

My nephew went to a hypnotist and joined a gym. Has worked for him for about a year.

Considering the recent Jaxfactor thread, everyone please just quit!

Good thoughts here. Longest I was off was 2 months. Everyone said you'll feel better in a few days. I didn't, I actually felt worse. Nervous, cranky, etc.. :clap: Long after I'm fertilizer I think they will prove it's a gene thing. If you got the gene it's a lot harder if not impossible to quit. I also have to admit it's a given thing at my age.......meaning, if I quit now at my age how much reward will I reap? An extra year??? :D For that I'll keep smoking. Yeah, I know I sound weird but that's me.

My current :D is the gubment:

I have no problem w/ no smoking airlines.

I have no problem w/ no smoking restaurants.

But BARS!!!????

In IL lately there is legislation to increase the taxes on cigs and increase insurance premiums as well. :doh:

Increased taxes on cigs is a joke unless they increase/parallel taxes on cigars, loose tobacco, and pipe tobacco! F'n gubment! I guess we have a lot of politicians who smoke pipes, roll their own, or smoke cigars! :D

Increase insurance premiums..............OKAY, but then increase the premiums for obese people, casual drug users, drunks/alcoholics, users of cell phones in cars, motorcycle drivers w/o helmets, people w/ too many speeding tickets, and others that don't come to mind right now. All the previous add a load to our over burdened, non-profit making insurance companies! :tup:

rant over!

Keep trying!! It's one of the best things you'll ever do for your body!

I quit many years ago, and for the first three years or so it was tough not to start up again. The longer I was able to resist, the easier it got to stay a non-smoker. I don't crave smoking at all anymore. Smoking can be beaten, and you can be successful too!!!!!

Good info Doc, as usual. I hope I can quit and soon, 'cause the clock is ticking. Smoking is bad. It's a big monkey w/ long claws. I just hate being legislated to quit.

To all of you.............keep us smokers in your prayers. We'll need them sooner or later.

Peace! :clap:

rr26

I was able to quit cold turkey back on Dec 11th of '06.

Well, 3 weeks of being able to push a morphine button every 6 minutes was a big help, but other then that, piece of cake! :D

It's been almost 6 months now since my last smoke. Lots of things that trigger me wanting to light one up, every day.

Bottom line, I'm bound and determined to take at least one big positive away from that day, and so far, no more cigs is working for me.

It's tough, but at the same time, waking up every morning, getting in the shower and not coughing up a lung every day? I can't describe how could that feels, anyone who smokes....should quit long enough to experience that. :D

Ok, so it’s not like I crossed the finish line, but I made it through today without a cigarette. This is huge for me (the first 24 hours), because once the first day has passed, I’ll find so much solace in the fact I’ll be just one more day away from not being physically addicted to nicotine. After day three is done it’s a cakewalk… you’d have to choose to go back. You on/off smokers know what it's like to fire one up after not having one in a long time. It tastes like shat, but you tell yourself you like it, because you know you will eventually. In reality, it tastes like shat all the time, but you'd have to stop to realize it.

Funny, when you quit and start back up, it’s always a choice. You smoke a cigar, just have one (or twelve) the night out with the guys, because it was a bachelor’s party so it makes it special… that’s pretty much how it happened this time; one night out of non-stop drunken strip club insanity. It was a choice, and I chose poorly. I have to tell you this, or face the humiliation of knowing it and failing. …must :clap: …not :D …fail :tup: . Evil monkey :doh: speaks to me as it’s dying :D … there’s always some seemingly good reason to keep smoking :clap: , or just have one :clap: , get a patch :D , maybe some gum :clap: ? ...all bad answers :D . I’ve done this more than a few times, and I sort of think you need exchange an addiction for an addiction. I know a lot of people that are addicted to exercise… maybe that would be a better choice?

I am not a smoker and never have been, but I have been around the block enough to see the obvious link between drinking and smoking. I know many would rather be dead then do this, but maybe quiting drinking (even casually) would help kick the smoking habit... just a thought. It's not connected for everyone, but I'm sure it is for many.

I smoke ONLY when I drink, I NEVER light a cigarette otherwise. I actually can't stand anything about it when I'm not drinking but when I am I'll smoke a pack in one night :D

BTW, Good luck Thews :D

Edited by ChuckB