[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How would you be described in regards to Money ?

whomper

How would you be described in regards to Money?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. When it comes to money I would be considered

• Very Cheap
    • Frugal-not very Cheap but tight and cautious
    • Level headed not Cheap but not a spendthrift
    • Spendthrift
    • Reckless
    • Puddy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Scottish... so... you know.... We're a thrifty people.

"Well, besides being notoriously cheap, your average Scottish person is drunk eighteen to nineteen hours A DAY! IT'S TRUE, EVERY SINGLE ONE O' THEM! I haven't met a Scottish person who didn't have liquor on his breath while weaseling out of a check."

hmm i must be the Scottish fellow who pays for the cheap Scottish fellows ...

I put levelheaded. Life is too short to nickel and dime things but I don't spend money foolishly either. I bought a house well within my means but splurged on my car because I could. I almost always overtip if the service is reasonable and I've picked up someone lunch tab just because. However my ties are 10 years out of date, my jeans have holes in them, I change my own motor oil and I sharpen my own mower blades.

one thing about me that may indicate some cheapness....when i decide to buy something that costs more than chump change (car, tv, digital camera, etc.), i will sit on the decision for a few days (sometimes weeks, months), thoroughly research my options, and do some legwork hounddogging the best possible deal once i choose what i am going to buy.

I use to be reckless when I was younger and making too much money for someone my age. I can be tight at times but I'm generally pretty sensible now when it comes to spending.

Then again, put a 12 pack in me and I'm buying the entire bar rounds. :D

It depends on who is doing the describing, but I put myself down as level headed. I do like to travel and dont mind spending alot of money to pay for quality things. So, I think I am level headed but others may disagree.

This describes me to a "T".

Edited by twiley

one thing about me that may indicate some cheapness....when i decide to buy something that costs more than chump change (car, tv, digital camera, etc.), i will sit on the decision for a few days (sometimes weeks, months), thoroughly research my options, and do some legwork hounddogging the best possible deal once i choose what i am going to buy.

I dont consider that cheapness. If I want a high priced item like that, I will research it very thoroughly on the internet before ever pulling the trigger. That is being an informed consumer. Being cheap is something quite different.

:clingingbackontoazazellosnutsack:

I put level-headed, but I have to work to avoid the old 'penny-wise and pound foolish' problem. That is, we don't go out very often or overspend on our home, or fancy cars, clothes or gifts, but we love our 1-2 vacations every year. Usually out of state to visit friends, or group trips with friends, (Hawaii is a fave).

And we overspend a bit at Xmas, usually taking a couple months to pay off the credit bills. My wife needs the trips to look forward to, as it makes the tough job of being on call 24/7 for our 3 munchkins easier to handle.

I make decent money, but 6 figures as the sole breadwinner doesn't go that far here in SoCal. If I didn't have the big mortgage and private school bills, I'd probably spend more on the other 'finer things'. So my circumstances dictate the lifestyle...

But we are very blessed, in that we have another 60-70% more untapped 'excess earning capacity' available if we want it, if we decide the wife needs to go back to work fulltime. Many people don't have that flexibility....

I dont consider that cheapness. If I want a high priced item like that, I will research it very thoroughly on the internet before ever pulling the trigger. That is being an informed consumer. Being cheap is something quite different.

eh, sometimes it makes me too cheap. like when i decide to buy a camera lens on ebay and watch every auction for a week trying to get one for a ridiculously low price only to get outbid every time and end up wasting a few hours to save 20 bucks.

I would say I am a spend thrift borderline reckless. If it comes to spending money on myself I am usually tight, for the wife and kids reckless if it is needed and makes sense. We have 2 newer cars, I drive 150 miles a day roundtrip for work, and I will never buy a used car. We have a very nice home and nice things, we do have plenty in retirement but not much in savings. If we want/need it we get it, not much of a Christmas or b-day for the wife or I as we get it year round. Kids are totally different, all Elise hs to do is flash the puppy dog eyes and I am all over it and she is not even 2 yet :D

Edited by T_bone65

eh, sometimes it makes me too cheap. like when i decide to buy a camera lens on ebay and watch every auction for a week trying to get one for a ridiculously low price only to get outbid every time and end up wasting a few hours to save 20 bucks.

Gotta watch that. I sometimes waste too much time trying to shave a few bucks off vacations and flights but like you, I do a ton of research before splurging on an expensive item.

I don't have many wants in life so am able to buy most things I want. I tip better than most and will pay extra for superior service, but never go crazy. I usually wait awhile to buy a big ticket item to make sure I really want or need it. Both Vettes were bought used for less than a new POS Honda or Toyota by the way. I would never buy a new car (although the new Z06 almost did it).

I was too crazy 20 years ago, had nothing to show for it and dug myself out of credit card. Would never do that again. Now I always pay cash (or pay the bill in full). Always. That's the key to being able to have what you want eventually. Don't owe anyone else first. If you do, pay them first before you go nuts on yourself.

My mortgage is all I owe. And it's not hugh. Only regret is I would've had the house I bought in '94 paid off in a couple of years. But I didn't like the crowd and congestion that had developed since I moved there. Now I'm far enough out in the sticks that I'll probably never see that mess.

Was in a financial hole a few months ago for first time in my life ...refinanced and borrowed some money and my wife now watching some kids (daycare ) from home ...all real good now and the whole experience has made us much more level headed and cautious with our money ..although we still enjoy life

Would you spend $97 to make $88k?

Dear Friend,

It has been long we communicated last. I am so sorry for the delay, I want to Inform you that your cheque of ($800.000.00) which my boss

asked me to mail to you is still with me but due to some circumstances you failed to respond at the appropriate time and presently the

cheque is with me here in Benin Republic.

Notwithstanding, I have new contact from a friend of mine who works with one security company here in Benin Republic that will deliver

your cheque to your door step at a cheeper rate as the company said that it will only cost you the sum of $97. On this note, I want you to

contact them and register with them now so that your cheque will be delivered to you without further delay. While contacting them, include

your phone number and address to avoid wrongful delivery. You should also tell the company to give you the Information on how you will send

the delivery fee of $97 immediately you contact them for the delivery of your cheque of $800.000.00 to your door step. Below is their

contact information;

Email address: impexcouriercompany@yahoo.fr

Contact person: ( Dr. Joshua Amara)

Direct Cell.......+229-95 794624.

Fax...................+229-620 123.

Please do get back to me as soon as you have contacted the security company so that I can submit your cheque to them immediately.

Thank you.

Mr. Thomas Clarke.

My story is we had a LARGE group (I want to say 17 people on a $250 bill, tip included) so I just said "hey, we're all friends, fifteen bones a pop, it'll come back around" and ONE couple in particular was squawking that they didn't have that much booze and had the calculator out. I tossed $40 (yeah, I'm a high rolla like that), covering my wife and me + $10 and said "here, you're f*cking covered; buy yourself something nice" and left the table.

I don't think they were pleased with me. :D Though just about everyone else in the group gave me a high-five for it later in the evening when that couple wasn't around.

:D 17 people and the bill was only 250 ? What did you have Milk and Ring Dings ?

My story is we had a LARGE group (I want to say 17 people on a $250 bill, tip included) so I just said "hey, we're all friends, fifteen bones a pop, it'll come back around" and ONE couple in particular was squawking that they didn't have that much booze and had the calculator out. I tossed $40 (yeah, I'm a high rolla like that), covering my wife and me + $10 and said "here, you're f*cking covered; buy yourself something nice" and left the table.

I don't think they were pleased with me. :D Though just about everyone else in the group gave me a high-five for it later in the evening when that couple wasn't around.

That's usually the right approach, HOWEVER, my wife and I have been in situations with friends where a few individuals have had several drinks more (each) over the average person at the table. This is not a big deal once or twice, but when it becomes a regular thing and there is no offer made to say "hey, we've drank a good 25 bucks each more in liquor, we'll throw in some extra cash" I think you have to put your foot down because you are then being taken advantage of. You don't have to break out the calculator or anything, but just be aware of what you are drinking over the average person and how often it happens.

If alcoholic beverages aren't involved (or at least anything beyond one drink), I think splitting it even among everyone is the way to go.

my wife and I have been in situations with friends where a few individuals have had several drinks more (each) over the average person at the table. This is not a big deal once or twice, but when it becomes a regular thing and there is no offer made to say "hey, we've drank a good 25 bucks each more in liquor, we'll throw in some extra cash" I think you have to put your foot down because you are then being taken advantage of. You don't have to break out the calculator or anything, but just be aware of what you are drinking over the average person and how often it happens.

If this is the case, get split tabs.

Exactly, we use to try and split the bill evenly whenever we went out with my brother-in-law and his wife for casual dinners but I started noticing a pattern of them ordering really expensive meals and then drinking 5-6 drinks a piece. Our total would be around $25 and they would always easily double that amount, sometimes triple.

He doesn't drink as much or order the steak now that we get split tabs.

We've also had situations where we've gone out with a few couples for sushi and there's always one couple that orders the sake that's $15-$20 and they drink three or four of these little bottles without sharing. That pisses people off.

yeah, but i've been on the other end of that, too. like a few months ago when we met a few people, we got there after everyone else and basically had already eaten and mostly just wanted to say hi to everyone....all the entrees were family style, so we nibbled a bit here and there. i had one glass of wine, my wife drank water. of course, my bro-in-law ordered 3 or 4 bottles, thinks he's some sort of wine bigshot (the group was maybe 10 people), pretty sure there were a couple cocktails on there as well....the bill comes and you guessed it. bro-in-law: "should we just say $30 per person?" (or whatever it was). nice.

yeah, but i've been on the other end of that, too. like a few months ago when we met a few people, we got there after everyone else and basically had already eaten and mostly just wanted to say hi to everyone....all the entrees were family style, so we nibbled a bit here and there. i had one glass of wine, my wife drank water. of course, my bro-in-law ordered 3 or 4 bottles, thinks he's some sort of wine bigshot (the group was maybe 10 people), pretty sure there were a couple cocktails on there as well....the bill comes and you guessed it. bro-in-law: "should we just say $30 per person?" (or whatever it was). nice.

We ran into a similar situation a few months back where the entire table had drinks and appetizers before we arrived which amounted to about $350 (wine, cheese plates, and appetizers). Well that was rolled into the final bill. Tough situation but I just paid it anyway.

We do that when possible, but usually it's one or two offenders out of a group of 10 or so. The point being is that at our age group (in their 30s), people should be aware enough to understand fair and reasonable boundries.

Most of the time it works out just fine. Only when a certain individual comes is when we need to do a split tab. Some people get upity when you request the split tab as well. Sometimes you just can't win. :D

Edited by TDFFFreak

Only when a certain individual comes is when we need to do a split tab. Some people get upity when you request the split tab as well. Sometimes you just can't win. :D

True, which is why those individuals rarely get invited back out. :D