[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rookie notes

Randall

"These rookies' careers just might have legs"

By Dennis Dillon - SportingNews

First impressions are as important in football as they are on blind dates. So if you're going to show up in bermudas, you had better have engaging legs -- or some other captivating quality.

By rule, the rookies who participated in their teams' recent minicamps were limited in their wardrobe. They couldn't wear pads, and contact was prohibited. But that didn't prevent several from rising to the occasion. Defensive linemen Turk McBride and Tank Tyler, for example, made coach Herm Edwards' all-shorts team for what they did during the Chiefs' minicamp.

Taking that concept across the league, we present our All-Shorts Team: 12 rookies who caught the attention of their teams.

Peterson,RB, Vikings. What popped out most were his receiving skills, which he rarely had a chance to display at Oklahoma. Running a lot of swing routes and checkdowns, Peterson wowed the Vikings with his ability to extend his arms and catch the call,

Usama Young, CB, Saints. New Orleans may have landed another small-school gem. Young, a Kent State product, drew praise from coach Sean Payton after showing up in excellent shape and making good breaks on the ball. He intercepted one pass and broke up several others. Not bad for a guy who didn't get invited to the Scouting Combine.

Steve Smith, WR, Giants. He looked polished, ran good routes and made a leaping one-handed catch during a 7-on-7 drill. Just about what you'd expect from a prospect out of Southern California.

Trent Edwards, QB, Bills. Edwards exceeded the team's expectations in the windy conditions at Ralph Wilson Stadium. He showed a quick release and a strong arm -- and he was accurate.

Adam Carriker, DT, Rams. He took most of his snaps inside and displayed the same characteristics -- stoutness, hand explosiveness, ability to collapse the pocket -- that made him the Big 12's defensive lineman of the year in 2006 as an end at Nebraska. The Rams are hoping Carriker will be able to play both the 3 technique and nose tackle positions. If he can, he will relieve a longtime headache for the team.

Buster Davis, LB, Cardinals. The 5-9 Davis was like a water bug, covering a lot of ground and making a lot of plays -- just like he did at Florida State.

James Jones, WR, Packers. The third-round pick from San Jose State was quick and explosive in and out of his cuts, and he plucked every pass thrown his direction.

Kevin Kolb, QB, Eagles. Donovan McNabb won't like hearing it, but Kolb showed a strong arm and mobility.

Mike Walker, WR, Jaguars. A third-round pick from Central Florida, Walker did enough good things to elicit positive reactions from coach Jack Del Rio and quarterback Byron Leftwich.

Scott Chandler, TE, Chargers. Chandler, a 6-7 target, regularly got open down the seam and on corner routes.

Johnny Baldwin, LB, Lions. A fifth-round pick from Alabama A&M -- and another player whose invitation to the Combine got lost in the mail -- Baldwin worked out at middle linebacker. He displayed what defensive coaches desire most in their players -- speed.

Kenny Irons, RB, Bengals. He impressed coach Marvin Lewis with his cutting ability on the field and his resolve off it. After missing his flight to Cincinnati, Irons flew to Dayton, arranged his own transportation and arrived at the Bengals' complex in time for a mandatory team meeting.

Scott Chandler, TE, Chargers. Chandler, a 6-7 target, regularly got open down the seam and on corner routes.

This is nice to see, but I'm still trying to figure out why the Bolts drafted this guy. Maybe he'll play special teams! :D

Good info, but of course a lot of guys who look great playing two-hand touch fade badly when they don the pads & have to play in anger.

That said, some random thoughts from me:

Does Steve Smith (NYG version) remind anyone else of Keary Colbert? The similarities between the two, especially the way their stock rose as the draft approached, is eerie to me. Smith rose up to the 2nd round, the 9th WR taken. Colbert rose up to the second round also, the 10th WR taken in 2004. I'm concerned that we'll see similar results from Smith as a pro that we have from Colbert - who had a great rookie year & since then has faded to no better than an afterthought.

Love Carricker, Davis, & Baldwin, and especially love their situations, and then add that all 3 guys can be had at really good value in FF IDP dynasty drafts. All three could easily be starting at impact spots in week 1. Keep a close eye on Baldwin winning the MLB spot in DET - he's currently a steal where he's going in dynasty IDP drafts if he's even picked at all. Not as high on Carricker as the other two, just because his play reminds me so much of Wistrom. That means he'll be a very solid pro DE, but he'll most probably be limited to a #2 FF DE at best, even though his play on the field will make everyone around him that much more effective.

Love Walker & Irons, too, but hate their situations. Hell, if Wilford can't bench Reggie despite outclassing him at WR, how is Walker going to do it when he has to compete with all three of Jones, Williams, & Wilford. Irons ought to earn some PT as a CoP (even though I think he can compete for a featured spot in the NFL), but Rudy is pretty much locked into the top spot for at least 2 more years.

I'm curious to see how Edwards & Kolb do in preseason. I have a sneaking suspicion that even vanilla TC Ds will give them some problems when guys start playing for real in pads.

Edited by Bronco Billy

This is nice to see, but I'm still trying to figure out why the Bolts drafted this guy. Maybe he'll play special teams! :D

That or in 2 TE sets.

As BB pointed out it is very early but good players start showing what they have early. Whether they can continue in pads will come in 1 - 2 months.

Defensive linemen Turk McBride and Tank Tyler, for example, made coach Herm Edwards' all-shorts team for what they did during the Chiefs' minicamp.

I really (REALLY) hope that this isn't Edwards way of saying, "Oh, cr@p ... we just dropped to veteran DTs in the offseason after drafting these two guys and these two guys BLOW ... maybe if I encourage them, they'll pick it up better this summer."

Hell, if Wilford can't bench Reggie despite outclassing him at WR, how is Walker going to do it when he has to compete with all three of Jones, Williams, & Wilford.

Wilford is 30, and slow. Good hands and a great work ethic have kept hin on the field.

Check the first 5 games of last season while Lefty was there, Reggie was having a pro-bowl calibur season, it was his 3rd year. Now, he is back ready, lefty has slimmed down, has worked on his footwork and release, has a new offense which is taylored to his strenghts and is playing for a contract. 'If' lefty can stay healthy, Reggie has the potential to be a top 10 WR, quote me on that.

Jones is greatly soured upon... he started 'mossing' it last year, has never taken his move to WR seriously and is only getting all these chances cuase of his draft spot and money. Don't count on him for anything this year.

I could easily see Walker and Reggie on the field, with northcutt 3rd, Jones and wilford in for special plays, if wilford even makes the team.

Kenny Irons, RB, Bengals. He impressed coach Marvin Lewis with his cutting ability on the field and his resolve off it. After missing his flight to Cincinnati, Irons flew to Dayton, arranged his own transportation and arrived at the Bengals' complex in time for a mandatory team meeting.

The reason Rudi Johnson will not be a top 10 runningback this season.

"These rookies' careers just might have legs"

Kevin Kolb, QB, Eagles. Donovan McNabb won't like hearing it, but Kolb showed a strong arm and mobility.

strong arm, can throw is a long way

mobility, can run

I seem to remember Akili Smith , Quincy Carter, and Kyle Boller all having these qualities. One was one of the biggest busts ever, the other is suspended by the developmental league of the arena league. and the last is a backup QB in Balt. The NFL is litterest with strong arm, mobile players, lining up behind center. But that doesnt make you a quality Qb.

Wilford is 30, and slow. Good hands and a great work ethic have kept hin on the field.

Wilford turned 28 in January. And that he is slow would explain why Wilford's career ypr is more than 3 and a half yards better than Reggie's. I'll admit Wilford is slower than Williams, but he sure manages to get better separation.

Check the first 5 games of last season while Lefty was there, Reggie was having a pro-bowl calibur season, it was his 3rd year. Now, he is back ready, lefty has slimmed down, has worked on his footwork and release, has a new offense which is taylored to his strenghts and is playing for a contract. 'If' lefty can stay healthy, Reggie has the potential to be a top 10 WR, quote me on that.

Consider yourself quoted. The plain fact is that Wilford has produced better than Williams despite not getting nearly as much opportunity. Wilford has 11% more receving yds, 120% more receiving TDs, and a 32% better ypr despite having 16% less receptions over both WRs 3 year career.

The only thing keeping Williams on the field is either Del Rios relentless stubborness and/or that they just don't want to admit that Williams is a 1st round bust. Either way, JAX is gettting hurt by it.

2006 Reggie Williams WR JAX

Week 1: 6 for 47 TD: 1

Week 2: 8 for 95

Week 3: 2 for 8 :D

Week 4: 5 for 93 TD: 2 :D

Week 5: 4 for 53 TD: 1

I would say that looks pretty good with Lefty Under Center... wouldn't you?

Through 5 weeks he had 25 catches, 296 yards and 4 TD's.

If Lefty had stayed healthy, and IF he and Reggie stayed on their game, then he could have ended the season with 80 catches, about 1000 yards and 13 TD's.

How would that have ranked him last year? Just about #1.

I am not saying he would have, I am only saying he 'could' have, and there is evidence to support it. Considering most think the same way you do about him, Reggie could be an excellent sleeper for '07.

2006 Reggie Williams WR JAX

Week 1: 6 for 47 TD: 1

Week 2: 8 for 95

Week 3: 2 for 8 :D

Week 4: 5 for 93 TD: 2 :tup:

Week 5: 4 for 53 TD: 1

I would say that looks pretty good with Lefty Under Center... wouldn't you?

Through 5 weeks he had 25 catches, 296 yards and 4 TD's.

If Lefty had stayed healthy, and IF he and Reggie stayed on their game, then he could have ended the season with 80 catches, about 1000 yards and 13 TD's.

How would that have ranked him last year? Just about #1.

I am not saying he would have, I am only saying he 'could' have, and there is evidence to support it. Considering most think the same way you do about him, Reggie could be an excellent sleeper for '07.

:D

How did the rest of his season go? 28 catches for 319 yds & - count 'em - 0 TDs over 11 games. If you're going to base his prospective performance based upon 5 games and completely ignore over 2 1/2 seasons of totally inept play, I wish you the best with him on your roster.

With the 2nd string QB rarely looking his direction, not very good.

Holy crap, I don't care is there's a cadaver playing QB. If this guy is supposed to morph into a stud WR, he's got to do better than 2 1/2 catches per game & less than 30 ypg for well over half a season in his 3rd year.

Holy crap, I don't care is there's a cadaver playing QB. If this guy is supposed to morph into a stud WR, he's got to do better than 2 1/2 catches per game & less than 30 ypg for well over half a season in his 3rd year.

I don't know if he is going to morph into a stud WR, but he was one of the top scoring WR's through the first 5 games last year until Leftwich went out for the season and then his production dropped off dramatically with Garrard under center. Really not that difficult of a concept to wrap one's head around.

Really not that difficult of a concept to wrap one's head around.

No, it's not. Garrard obviously didn't consider him to be a stud & just as obviously didn't trust him, and without Leftwich he was literally worthless as a FF WR.

Not that difficult of a concelt to wrap one's head around.

So Billy, you're saying the QB has no weight on how a particular WR's performance is?

I guess it is hard for me to understand about what I said was so hard for you to understand?

You wouldn't draft a guy late who had the items in place to post a Top 10 season?

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regards to Jax WR, I don't really have much more to add.

Johnny Baldwin, LB, Lions. A fifth-round pick from Alabama A&M -- and another player whose invitation to the Combine got lost in the mail -- Baldwin worked out at middle linebacker. He displayed what defensive coaches desire most in their players -- speed.

I have made sure to take this guy in every dynasty draft late.

With his speed and the move to MLB(where my Lions say he will get a chance to play) I am hoping he ends up as 1 of the suprise rookies of the year(especially fantasy wise).

Why did Garrard flat out ignore Williams between weeks 6 and 11?

He was not checking his progressions, was too quick to dump it off, (MJD 46 catches), basically, not playing very good. The offense was totally different with him at the helm.

He was not checking his progressions, was too quick to dump it off, (MJD 46 catches), basically, not playing very good. The offense was totally different with him at the helm.

I agree.

I was amazed when they were talking about giving the job to Gerrard even if Leftwich was healthy. IMO Gerrard was a absolutely horrible QB. and he played horrible while the team had a excellent schedule for QB's.

Yet Garrard threw the ball to Ernest Wilford and Matt Jones? :D

I don't disagree with either you or BB. Williams has much more value (it appears) if Leftwich is the QB, but I don't see how you can project him out that highly based on his first 5 weeks when the offense went nowhere near him the rest of the season and they still scored points.