[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seriously, how can this be?

godtomsatan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help explain anything to you cause I don't really know, however, I'm Catholic but find some of the explanations we're taught to be very far fetched. I certainly think the scientific explanation makes a lot more sense and has much more data to prove it's case. So I'm one of those phonies that says I'm religious but I don't really believe everything I was taught cause most of the time it just doesn't jive. :D

I better watch out now. :D

2/3 of Americans believe in creationism.

Someone here must be able to convince me. I'm tired of believing in apes. :D

If you really want to know and do not mind reading a book on the subject I will be glad to mail it to you. If you do PM me your address. The book is entitled " Life, how did it get here? By evolution or Creation?"

I think it depends upon the definition of Creationism. You'll find most Americans believe in a Creator. Is that enough to be considered a Creationist? I believe in a Creator, but that doesn't conflict with my belief in the evolution of Creation. But if being a Creationist means you believe that the Universe is only a few thousand years old, then I would be just as surprised as you to find that 2/3 of Americans fall into that category.

2/3 of Americans believe in creationism.

Someone here must be able to convince me. I'm tired of believing in apes. :D

It means that our public school systems aren't doing a very good job at teaching critical thinking.

Two-thirds in the poll said creationism, the idea that God created humans in their present form within the past 10,000 years, is definitely or probably true. More than half, 52 percent, said evolution, the idea that humans evolved from less advanced life-forms over millions of years, is definitely or probably true. All told, 25 percent say both creationism and evolution are definitely or probably true.

I think that 25 percent of the polled people seriously misunderstood what they were being asked.

It is possible to believe in God and Evolution at the same time.

However... It is NOT possible to believe in both Creationism and Evolution at the same time. They are contradictory by definition. 10 thousand years vs. millions of years.

If you believe that God had a hand in the evolutionary process, you have to come up with another name for it.

I think that 25 percent of the polled people seriously misunderstood what they were being asked.

However... It is NOT possible to believe in both Creationism and Evolution at the same time. They are contradictory by definition. 10 thousand years vs. millions of years.

If you believe that God had a hand in the evolutionary process, you have to come up with another name for it.

That's the problem with believing in my religious practices. We're taught God created everything and did so in 6 days as he rested on the 7th. He did all that, just thousands of years ago however, science tells us that the world/life/galaxies are billions of years old. Somebody has to be wrong. :D

That's the problem with believing in my religious practices. We're taught God created everything and did so in 6 days as he rested on the 7th. He did all that, just thousands of years ago however, science tells us that the world/life/galaxies are billions of years old. Somebody has to be wrong. :D

Well... in my nicest moment of religious tolerance... I'll say this: The bible was written by men. Men who may have sucked at math. Even if it is the word of God, maybe they just missed a few zeros while taking dictation.

Well... in my nicest moment of religious tolerance... I'll say this: The bible was written by men. Men who may have sucked at math. Even if it is the word of God, maybe they just missed a few zeros while taking dictation.

:D Sounds like the rest of the parables and stories I've heard in Bible/Sunday/Catholic school. I'm thinking you may have been one of the writers. :D

Who are you to say you can't believe in Creationism and evolution at the same time? The father of my friend's wife was in the field of dating rocks by their fossil content. I only met him once, but we did talk about this. His house was filled with uber cool fossils, and I don't remember where he worked, but he was a very smart man. He said he believed that God planted the first seed of life in the ocean and we evolved from it. By your definition he was wrong. Care to change your stance?

Edited by Thews40

Who are you to say you can't believe in Creationism and evolution at the same time? The father of my friend's wife was in the field of dating rocks by their fossil content. I only met him once, but we did talk about this. His house was filled with uber cool fossils, and I don't remember where he worked, but he was a very smart man. He said he believed that God planted the first seed of life in the ocean and we evolved from it. By your definition he was wrong. Care to change your stance?

No.

Please understand that I am not making a religious argument. I am making a linguistic one. The definition of "Creationism" is different from what your friend believes, which is Creation. There is a difference.

"Creationism" is a movement to treat literal biblical creation as a science. Your friends concept of a seed of life which evolved would be openly derided by Creationists.

God is not bound by time and Faith is not based on science ...The message of the bible imo is that God created man in his own image ...Bible never says that God did not create or did create dinosaurs , cavemen , apemen rather it focuses on the creation of man in his image ...that is where we come in , thats our entrance ..what happened before that should not effect the belief that humans were created in God's image

No.

Please understand that I am not making a religious argument. I am making a linguistic one. The definition of "Creationism" is different from what your friend believes, which is Creation. There is a difference.

"Creationism" is a movement to treat literal biblical creation as a science. Your friends concept of a seed of life which evolved would be openly derided by Creationists.

I disagree. By what he told me, he believed a creator planted the first seed of life and we evolved from it. You are using your definition of "Creationism" as a movement to encompass your beliefs. It is "possible" to believe in both.

I disagree. By what he told me, he believed a creator planted the first seed of life and we evolved from it. You are using your definition of "Creationism" as a movement to encompass your beliefs. It is "possible" to believe in both.

It's not MY definition of Creationism. It is THE definition of Creationism.

"The term creationism is most often used to describe the belief that creation occurred literally as described in the book of Genesis (for both Jews and Christians) or the Qur'an (for Muslims). The terms creationism and creationist have become particularly associated with beliefs about the time frame of creation, conflicting with mainstream churches, and also with scientific understanding of Earth's history, particularly evolution."

"Creationism" describes a specific movement of literal biblical belief which is not possibly to reconcile with Evolution.

I think that what you are describing is a belief in "theistic evolution" which believes that God created everything, but also believes that animals evolved with God's guidance. A strict Creationist would strongly disagree with this and say that God created the earth and every animal 6000 years ago in 6 days and that any concept of evolution is hogwash.

"The term creationism is most often used to describe the belief that creation occurred literally as described in the book of Genesis (for both Jews and Christians) or the Qur'an (for Muslims). The terms creationism and creationist have become particularly associated with beliefs about the time frame of creation, conflicting with mainstream churches, and also with scientific understanding of Earth's history, particularly evolution."

"Creationism" describes a specific movement of literal biblical belief which is not possibly to reconcile with Evolution.

I think that what you are describing is a belief in "theistic evolution" which believes that God created everything, but also believes that animals evolved with God's guidance. A strict Creationist would strongly disagree with this and say that God created the earth and every animal 6000 years ago in 6 days and that any concept of evolution is hogwash.

You’re now using the definition you pulled defining “Creationism” to back up what you said. My point is you can believe in evolution and a “creator” simultaneously. Semantics aside, I believe you are wrong in implying a specific religious alliance to the argument.

umm, you are wrong. "creationism" encompasses a much wider range of beliefs than literalist "old-earth" theories.

:D

i would also note that the entire notion of "intelligent design" theories being "warmed-over creationism" relies heavily on a much broader definition of "creationism" than the one you are trying to say is somehow the one and only possible definition.

Ya know, I think I am going bat poo insane. I am studying hard for two ncees exams and doing some really in-depth research as well. I am reading stuff by "scientists" with Ph.D's that sound like something written by a wombat on acid. I am losing faith at an astonishing rate in the scientific community.

I really feel that many if not most in the science community are selling their own beliefs out for fame and/or profit and political power. That being said I think the same thing is happening in Christendom but there possibly even more dangerous nutbags running around.

I trust none of them. I can tell you however that nothing I have learned in science causes me not to believe in a supreme being. I am getting pretty freaking good in my own little corner of nerddom but I promise in ten years you I will look back at what I believe now about certain things and realize how stupid I am.

My point is you can believe in evolution and a “creator” simultaneously.

And I haven't disagreed yet. I encourage that line of thinking and have absolutely no arguments against it.

umm, you are wrong. "creationism" encompasses a much wider range of beliefs than literalist "old-earth" theories.

As I stated in my last post... when people say "Creationism" without any modifier, it most often refers to the "Young Earth" creationism referred to in your link.

Did you read the original article? You should... it's from a website called AzCentral. :D

Sentence number 2:

"Two-thirds in the poll said creationism, the idea that God created humans in their present form within the past 10,000 years, is definitely or probably true."

Tell me how... when worded that way... both Creationism and Evolution can simultaneously co-exist. And Thews... again, I'm not saying that theologically you can't believe in a creator or that the creator shaped man and earth. I'm saying that when one theory explicitly says man is less than 10,000 years old and the other one says that man evolved 4-6 million years ago... then you can't say both are probably true.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Again , I state that fact humans as we know them are here for thousands of years does not mean God did not create apemen , dinosaurs , etc

Focus of the bible is that we as humans were created in his image and that is where we come in ...before us anything was possible and it is very possible that God created everything else before we came into the picture

Another item is the concept of days ..God is not bound by time and many passages in bile refer to a day for God is like thousands of years ( if need be will try and find such passages ) ...the concept that earth and life was created in 6 days does not necessarily mean 6 days with 24 hrs in each ...days could mean years and many of them ...I agree with polksalet , nothing out there researched , concluded by science and the scientific community effects my faith and my belief in the living God , who created all