[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey you poker players...

I Like Soup

Doyle Brunson's Super System II is highly-recognized as one of the best poker books ever written. It's a compilation of chapters written by various icons in the poker industry. Mike Caro's section is recognized as one of the best pieces of writing in the poker realm. I highly recommend the book.

Oh, and...

Hey you poker players..., Calling BC, spain, et al!
:D Edited by darin3

What were some of those poker books y'all suggested were must reads?

we played a "nitro" tournament format tonight. Two tables of 8 each, you start of with 300 and the blinds go up every ten minutes. At the end of the hour, the top two in chip count split based on how much each has. $5 buy in, and we played three one-hour tournaments. It was a blast... though I lost $15. F'n Kings kill me every time. Seems like the hands I win big on are 6 4, or some small hand that makes in when the garbage comes out on the flop. Yea I lost $15, but I saw most every flop. I see guys I play with (the ones who read all the books) play like the pros and claculate pot odds on everything and play it by the book, but to do so makes you miss a lot of flops. I guess my point is that if the money isn't big, it's more fun to see more flops.

If you are looking for Hold Em specifically, I reccomend you read:

Small Stakes Hold Em by Ed Miller (this is a must read IMO)

Winning Low Limit Hold Em by Lee Jones (you may want to read this before the previous book if you are really new, otherwise, you can skip this one if you have been playign quite a while)

Theory of Poker by David Sklansky (very advanced, but the concepts in it are very important, though not Hold Em specific)

Hold Em Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky (again, not a must read until you work up to the upper lower/mid limits)

If you are looking to focus on tournament strategies, there is nothing better, IMO, than the three Harrington on Hold Em Books.

If No Limit cash games will be your focus, No Limit Hold Em, Theory and Practice by David Sklansky and Ed Miller is supposed to be one of the better books out there.

I have heard that the Tom McEvoy and TJ Cloutier books on No Limit and Pot Limit Hold Em are very good to, but I have not read them myself.

SSII as Darin mentioned is supposed to be alright, but I have heard several say that the Limit Hold Em Section by Jennifer Harman is some of the best Limit Hold Em strategy and advice ever written.

THat's it off the top of my head. If you want to get into more specific stuff, Caro's Book of Tells is not bad but a little outdated, but many of the physical tells he talks about are still very evident at the lower limits. Ther is a newish book out by Ed Navarro, who is a former FBI Profiler that is supposed to be pretty good. He also conducts seminars and has some downloadable or DVD courses available as well. The Psychology of Poker by Alan Schoonmaker is an intersting but sometimes difficult read (I played with him once).

That's it off the top of my head. As others reply, I'll comment on what I thought of or have heard of the books they reccomend

If you are looking for Hold Em specifically, I reccomend you read:

Small Stakes Hold Em by Ed Miller (this is a must read IMO)

Winning Low Limit Hold Em by Lee Jones (you may want to read this before the previous book if you are really new, otherwise, you can skip this one if you have been playign quite a while)

Theory of Poker by David Sklansky (very advanced, but the concepts in it are very important, though not Hold Em specific)

Hold Em Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky (again, not a must read until you work up to the upper lower/mid limits)

If you are looking to focus on tournament strategies, there is nothing better, IMO, than the three Harrington on Hold Em Books.

If No Limit cash games will be your focus, No Limit Hold Em, Theory and Practice by David Sklansky and Ed Miller is supposed to be one of the better books out there.

I have heard that the Tom McEvoy and TJ Cloutier books on No Limit and Pot Limit Hold Em are very good to, but I have not read them myself.

SSII as Darin mentioned is supposed to be alright, but I have heard several say that the Limit Hold Em Section by Jennifer Harman is some of the best Limit Hold Em strategy and advice ever written.

THat's it off the top of my head. If you want to get into more specific stuff, Caro's Book of Tells is not bad but a little outdated, but many of the physical tells he talks about are still very evident at the lower limits. Ther is a newish book out by Ed Navarro, who is a former FBI Profiler that is supposed to be pretty good. He also conducts seminars and has some downloadable or DVD courses available as well. The Psychology of Poker by Alan Schoonmaker is an intersting but sometimes difficult read (I played with him once).

That's it off the top of my head. As others reply, I'll comment on what I thought of or have heard of the books they reccomend

I've read the ones in bold...they're a good base. I haven't played hold'em in awhile but been on a pretty good run playing stud and omaha. Poker Theory is valuable for all games.

I've read the ones in bold...they're a good base. I haven't played hold'em in awhile but been on a pretty good run playing stud and omaha. Poker Theory is valuable for all games.

and in business too. several large firms in my line of work teach poker to employees and have tournaments regularly.

Edited by dmarc117

I agree with the books mentioned by others above. If you want to learn more about NL Holdem tournament play, you MUST read Dan Harrington's 3 books. But start with Super System I and II by Doyle Brunson to gain a good basis of the game. Sklansky is really dry but gives you the math. A book not mentioned is one I recommend for small stakes cash games like NL $1/$2 and $2/$5 by Angel Largay. That is a good place to start.

Edited by spain

Doyle Brunson's Super System II is highly-recognized as one of the best poker books ever written. It's a compilation of chapters written by various icons in the poker industry. Mike Caro's section is recognized as one of the best pieces of writing in the poker realm. I highly recommend the book.

Oh, and... :D

:D Um...sorry darin. :doh:

Thanks for the input guys! :tup: