[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying a new car

Hugh 0ne

And just so I get the page turnin' :D

I figured I'd tell ya I bought the wife a Honda Cr-V today. She is trying to beat my gutz as I type. By the way...Bon Voyage...I'll be sippin on a margarita soon, in Nassau, Bahammas. I'll pour one out for ya'll.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what the price difference would be if you bought one in Louisiana. I am sure there is no sales tax being that you are from another state.

Many states charge the sales tax when you first register the car, so they will look at the bill of sale and charge the sales tax, regardless of where you bought the vehicle.

Many states charge the sales tax when you first register the car, so they will look at the bill of sale and charge the sales tax, regardless of where you bought the vehicle.

That's what New York does. Actually, if I buy in NJ, to process the paperwork for a vehicle that will be registered in NY, they factor in the NY sales tax. 8 3/8%. :D

That's what New York does. Actually, if I buy in NJ, to process the paperwork for a vehicle that will be registered in NY, they factor in the NY sales tax. 8 3/8%. :D

Its 9% here. I didn't think a state can charge sales tax from one state to another. In fact we sell product online and don't charge sales tax unless they are a resident of Louisiana. Are cars different?

Edited by SuperBalla

Its 9% here. I didn't think a state can charge sales tax from one state to another. In fact we sell product online and don't charge sales tax unless they are a resident of Louisiana. Are cars different?

Not too different, sut the state has the bill of sale so they know how much you paid.

For other items, you are supposed to pay the sales tax in the state you live in if you weren't charged the tax at the point of sale, but few people do that.

Don't buy a car made in a country that has killed thousands of Americans in the past 100 years, I always say.

Okay, so that means no North Korean, Japanese, Ottoman Empire, Afghan, or German cars.

Check engine light can simply be the gasket on the gas cap, nothing to start thinking about buying something new for... unless it's a Ford, then it's probably dead.

i bought a used explorer a few months ago..215,000 miles on(92) but it was a one owner vehicle and he had all the info for everything he ever did to it and records for every oil change(every 4k)...of course 2 weeks after i bought it the check engine light came on and now it runs like hel1 at idle but i havent had a chance to take it into get it checked out so I just give it a bit of gas and keep my foot on the brake :D other then that it runs like a dream

The dealer will typically make "holdback" of $700-$1000 on an in-stock unit but the salesman usually only gets paid on a percent of the "profit" over invoice. So if you pay $100 over invoice, the salesman may make $25-$35 and the dealer will make an additional $700-$1000. But he also has to pay for advertising, utilities, salaries, etc. Dealers aren't getting rich by selling a car for $100 over invoice. FYI.

yeah and :D:D

also the "holdback" is a good reason to shop at the larger dealerships that turn cars in quantity

No, its just that internet sales are different. And if your state has a higher sales tax than the state you purchase the car in, you generally have to pay a "use tax" equal to the spread back in your home state. Of course, most people never report their out of state purchaes to their home state, and thus avoid paying that use tax. However, where the sale is reported by the seller, they can "encourage" your use tax compliance that way.

Hawt green Orion slave girls. Yummy.

Yes, Volvos, although boxy, utilitarian and completely geeky, are okay in my book to drive. Not for me to drive, you understand. :D

I did kill a Volvo 20 years ago in my Camaro. I t-boned it. The driver was fine, but I crushed the side of it beyond recognition. My Camaro just had the front bumper damaged. I don't think anyone would say Volvos were as safe as advertised after seeing that.