[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wow, true idiot

polksalet

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jumper faces two charges

By: Lynn Larowe - Texarkana Gazette and By Published: 06/20/2007

Cook

Criminal charges pending against a Fouke man may result in warrants for his arrest if he is not found to have perished from his reported leap into a rushing river. No body has been recovered in the search for 32-year-old Jody Cook, who reportedly jumped from the Two Rivers Bridge on Highway 160 near Doddridge, Ark., into the Red River around dusk Saturday. “He is on the trial docket for July,” said Miller County Deputy Prosecutor Connie Mitchell. “We are not dropping the charges unless we receive official confirmation of his death.” Cook is scheduled to appear before a Miller County Circuit Court judge to defend himself against charges of rape. The alleged victim was 13 at the time of the incident. Mitchell said a warrant for Cook will be issued if he doesn’t appear in court and a body remains undiscovered.

“We will have to consider his whereabouts to be unknown,” Mitchell said. Law requiring an accused person to have a speedy trial makes the warrant necessary. No more than a year may pass between the time a person is arrested and when the case is disposed, either by a trial or a plea of guilty, Mitchell said. If the defendant asks for and is granted a continuance, the speedy trial law is “tolled” between the date of the continuance and the next court hearing. This means the time between the two hearings doesn’t count as part of the year. A continuance is often necessary to give lawyers extra time to collect documents, interview witnesses and generally prepare for court. Cook is also facing charges of theft of property. Those charges stem from the alleged theft of a gun. An August trial date is pending for the firearm theft charge.

Cook’s wife, who was with him the night he jumped, is a co-defendant in the theft case, court documents show. “We are looking forward to our upcoming trial date,” said Cook’s defense attorney, John Stroud. “I just hope he is safe and will be found alive. My sympathies go out to his family during what must be a terrible time of uncertainty for them.”

Jumper faces two charges

By: Lynn Larowe - Texarkana Gazette and By Published: 06/20/2007

Cook

Criminal charges pending against a Fouke man may result in warrants for his arrest if he is not found to have perished from his reported leap into a rushing river. No body has been recovered in the search for 32-year-old Jody Cook, who reportedly jumped from the Two Rivers Bridge on Highway 160 near Doddridge, Ark., into the Red River around dusk Saturday. “He is on the trial docket for July,” said Miller County Deputy Prosecutor Connie Mitchell. “We are not dropping the charges unless we receive official confirmation of his death.” Cook is scheduled to appear before a Miller County Circuit Court judge to defend himself against charges of rape. The alleged victim was 13 at the time of the incident. Mitchell said a warrant for Cook will be issued if he doesn’t appear in court and a body remains undiscovered.

“We will have to consider his whereabouts to be unknown,” Mitchell said. Law requiring an accused person to have a speedy trial makes the warrant necessary. No more than a year may pass between the time a person is arrested and when the case is disposed, either by a trial or a plea of guilty, Mitchell said. If the defendant asks for and is granted a continuance, the speedy trial law is “tolled” between the date of the continuance and the next court hearing. This means the time between the two hearings doesn’t count as part of the year. A continuance is often necessary to give lawyers extra time to collect documents, interview witnesses and generally prepare for court. Cook is also facing charges of theft of property. Those charges stem from the alleged theft of a gun. An August trial date is pending for the firearm theft charge.

Cook’s wife, who was with him the night he jumped, is a co-defendant in the theft case, court documents show. “We are looking forward to our upcoming trial date,” said Cook’s defense attorney, John Stroud. “I just hope he is safe and will be found alive. My sympathies go out to his family during what must be a terrible time of uncertainty for them.”

This is starting to sound like he bolted. The man was up on rape charges so he probably wants people to think he's dead. But 100 ft.? :D

County ends river search for Cook

By: Terri Richardson - Texarkana Gazette and By Published: 06/23/2007

COOK

The Miller County Office of Emergency Management ended its search Thursday for Jody Cook on the Red River near Doddridge, Ark. Cook has been missing a week since an alleged jump from the Two Rivers Bridge. “It’s heartbreaking. I wish we could have had some closure for the family, but it just didn’t happen that way,” said Terry Purvis, coordinator for Miller County OEM. Cook reportedly made a daring leap a week ago into the Red River from the Two Rivers Bridge. Longtime friends said Cook was a daredevil and had a history of jumping from bridges. They say he had jumped from every bridge in the county.

The search for Cook began about 8:30 p.m. on June 16 after a 911 call to the Miller County Sheriff’s Office. Searchers scanned the river for any sign of him for five days with boats, sonar and sight. Caddo Parish Sheriff’s Department from Shreveport, La., also contributed two boats and a Hovercraft Thursday. The Hovercraft was used to search along sand dunes and areas hard to navigate. “Caddo Parish is still doing some searching down south in the river. We all rode that river hard Wednesday and Thursday and didn’t find anything,” Purvis said.

The investigation has been handed over from OEM to Miller County Sheriff’s Office, which is looking at it as a missing person’s case. Investigator Mike Liles with the sheriff’s office says there are no new developments in the ongoing investigation into Cook’s whereabouts. Liles said the office will be interviewing and re-interviewing those who may have information about the disappearance.

Witnesses to Cook’s daring leap last Saturday were his wife, Tyra Cook, and his best friend, James Hoss, 30, of Ruston, La. Tyra Cook was allegedly following Hoss’s truck when Jody Cook supposedly jumped from the bridge. “We may begin to use polygraphs to complete the investigation. This is an ongoing investigation and inconclusive right now,” Liles said. Cook is accused of raping a 13-year-old girl from January to December 2004, according to court documents. Criminal charges may result in a warrant for his arrest if a body is not discovered prior to his July trial date.

“We are not dropping the charges unless we receive official confirmation of his death,” said Miller County deputy prosecutor Connie Mitchell. “We will have to consider his whereabouts to be unknown.” Law guaranteeing a speedy trial to the accused makes the warrant necessary. If a year passes from the date of arrest and the case has not been disposed of by a trial or plea, it is dismissed. Many cases take much longer to proceed through the judicial process because of continuances requested by defense attorneys. If a continuance is granted, the speedy trial law is “tolled” and the time between the continuance and the next court hearing doesn’t count as part of the year. A continuance is often necessary to give lawyers extra time to prepare for court.

Cook is also facing charges of theft of property stemming from allegations he stole a gun in December 2006. An August trial date is pending for the firearm theft charge. If Cook’s fate remains a mystery then, another warrant for his arrest will be issued. Tyra Cook, 23, is also facing criminal charges. Formal charges have been levied against her for theft of property. She is accused of stealing items, including jewelry, from her mother and later selling them at pawn shops in November 2006. She was arrested on Jan. 27, 2007. Tyra Cook was also arrested on March 5, 2007, on a separate case involving alleged forgery, but prosecutors have yet to officially charge her. Tyra Cook’s mother is named as the victim in the alleged forgery case as well. Tyra Cook is currently free on bond and scheduled to appear in court for a hearing next week.

• 3 months later...
Can you copy the rest of the story? Didn't want to register to finish reading the story. Sounds like justice will be served and he will likely have jumped his last bridge for several years. :D

You apparently have to be a subscriber to the paper version to register, which I am not. Perhaps Mark5 will be along and hook us up.

Nope, I'm not a subscriber either.. I do know someone who knows him personally and the rape charge was probably gonna stick. They said he was NOT known for jumping off EVERY bridge so it seems like this was all they could come up with. Even though he was known as a "thrill seeker" that limited his thrill possibilities to 2-3 options.. Being from Fouke that meant-- 1. He dates OUTSIDE THE FAMILY.. 2. He hunts dressed up like a deer, so he got to test the meat before he slit their throat, REAL hunters don't need guns.. 3. He was gonna start a DISCO CLUB in Fouke (just picture a Texas town of 3,000 with a racial diversity of 1,000-1)..

The Boggy creek monster was REAL, and the moonshine was excellent!!!

Nope, I'm not a subscriber either.. I do know someone who knows him personally and the rape charge was probably gonna stick. They said he was NOT known for jumping off EVERY bridge so it seems like this was all they could come up with. Even though he was known as a "thrill seeker" that limited his thrill possibilities to 2-3 options.. Being from Fouke that meant-- 1. He dates OUTSIDE THE FAMILY.. 2. He hunts dressed up like a deer, so he got to test the meat before he slit their throat, REAL hunters don't need guns.. 3. He was gonna start a DISCO CLUB in Fouke (just picture a Texas town of 3,000 with a racial diversity of 1,000-1)..

The Boggy creek monster was REAL, and the moonshine was excellent!!!

Is your real name Tony Alamo??

Friend of ‘jumper’ turns himself in

Hoss, free on bond, charged with hindering Cook’s apprehension

By: Lynn Larowe - Texarkana Gazette

A man involved in an alleged scheme to dupe law enforcement into believing his best friend had disappeared in the Red River turned himself in Thursday morning, Miller County authorities said. James Hoss, 30, was booked Thursday and released after posting a commercial bond on the $100,000 bail set for him by a judge in Miller County, said Chief Deputy Tommy Hollin of the Miller County Sheriff’s Department. Hoss was arrested for hindering apprehension, a charge that stems from Hoss allegedly telling emergency personnel and law enforcement that his best friend, Jody Andrew Cook, 32, had gotten out of Hoss’ truck and jumped from the Two Rivers Bridge near Doddridge, Ark., on June 16. Cook was scheduled to be in court in Miller County to face rape and theft charges days after the jump was reported.

• 2 weeks later...
I still want to know if all you dodes that thought you were jumping 70 feet actually used a measuring tape.

I'm sitting 30 feet from my living room right now. Want me to go measure it, or do have any confidence that I can judge 30 feet give or take 5?

Yet you seem to think I can't tell the difference between that and 60 feet. :D

I'm sitting 30 feet from my living room right now. Want me to go measure it, or do have any confidence that I can judge 30 feet give or take 5?

Yet you seem to think I can't tell the difference between that and 60 feet. :D

We deal with horizontal distances +/- a few degrees on a routine basis. It is my experience that vertical free-fall distances is often overestimated.

We deal with horizontal distances +/- a few degrees on a routine basis. It is my experience that vertical free-fall distances is often overestimated.

Yeah, I probably only judged it from the trip down. I never actually swam in the water near the cliff and had a good view of it.

You're probably right. I can't tell 30 feet from 60 feet when looking right at it. I'm a f'ing retard. :D

How tall is my house? Like a half mile? Yeah... I can't tell. It's tricky for the eyes to figure these things out.

Yeah, I probably only judged it from the trip down. I never actually swam in the water near the cliff and had a good view of it.

You're probably right. I can't tell 30 feet from 60 feet when looking right at it. I'm a f'ing retard. :D

How tall is my house? Like a half mile? Yeah... I can't tell. It's tricky for the eyes to figure these things out.

:D

I'm sorry that it gets under your skin that I observed people have a tendency to vastly overestimate free fall distance.