[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kids pay 1/2 of their day care

Missoula Griz

This gives me an idea. I have quite a few kids that should be able to watch the two year old. I think I'll start charging them the $600 a month I'm paying right now for daycare.

I would hesitate to leave an 11 year old home alone on a regular basis. Or maybe yours isn't as curious about how things work as mine were/are

You only pay $450 a month for 2 kids in childcare and you are complaining? I've been forking out $1400 a month over in Paradise for about a year now for 2 kids...why I had to get the f'k out...

They are only there about 4 days a week and half days.

You only pay $450 a month for 2 kids in childcare and you are complaining? I've been forking out $1400 a month over in Paradise for about a year now for 2 kids...why I had to get the f'k out...

:D $210 a week here for a 2 y/o

There are too many reasons that an 11 year shouldn't be home by himself let alone leaving him in charge of a younger sibling. How would you anticipate the 11 year old handling a situation where the 7 year old was hurt? What if they are using the microwave and something in it catches on fire? How would you anticipate the 7 year old handling the situation if the 11 year old was hurt?

Aside from it likely being illegal it is a very bad idea and NOT the right approach to "fix" their behavior. Additionally children that age do not really appreciate the value of money.

Straight up ... sounds to me like a lazy way to try and get them to behave ... try some good old fashion discipline.

I didn't much care about my savings when I was 11, but I sure did 5 years later when I bought my first racing bike. Colnago with all Campy Super Record components... I would have been pissed if my parents decided to start charging me for not being mature enough to take care of a younger sibling when i was 10.

I was babysitting at age 12 and 13 and parents trusted me enough to baby sit their kids on vacation while the parents played all day and night-and I was way under paid for the stress I went through taking care of four kids age 2-9.

With my baby sitting money I bought a Gitano racing bike-campy equipped, and I knew my exact networth at age 13.

you're setting up the fireplace and leaving it for them to pour the gasoline if you let them go by themselves right now...

the daughter would have to be about 9 or 10 while the brother would be 13 or 14 where he wouldn't care as much to torture her other than just ignoring her...

There are too many reasons that an 11 year shouldn't be home by himself let alone leaving him in charge of a younger sibling. How would you anticipate the 11 year old handling a situation where the 7 year old was hurt? What if they are using the microwave and something in it catches on fire? How would you anticipate the 7 year old handling the situation if the 11 year old was hurt?

Aside from it likely being illegal it is a very bad idea and NOT the right approach to "fix" their behavior. Additionally children that age do not really appreciate the value of money.

Straight up ... sounds to me like a lazy way to try and get them to behave ... try some good old fashion discipline.

Suggestions old wise one...?

Wife and I both work. I have an 11 year old son and a 7 year old daughter. The 11 year old is old enough to stay at home by himself, but he cannot show the responsibility to watch his sister. She is a drama queen, and he is just like most boys always teasing and being a jerk to her. We pay about $450.00 per month currently for someone to watch them just during the summer.

I am sick of footing the bill. I have decided to make them pay for 1/2 the cost. My reasoning is they should be able to get along better and help the family save the money. They are both intelligent kids. They can prepare food, clean house somewhat, and know good or bad.

We have neighbors and family close by in case of an emergency. My wife works less then 5 minutes from home in case of an emergency. I can be reached on my cell at all times. We live in a very safe area. Their biggest danger other then each other would be a mean turkey or heat stroke.

My son thinks it’s unfair that he cannot just stay home by himself. I am trying to teach them as a family we must each give something in order to make things work best for everyone. As parents we set a good example. We both share housework and bring in fair paychecks.

Do you think I am being irrational by having them pay from their savings? I am at my last straw with their fighting and complaining.

Any thoughts?

Yes.

I was babysitting at age 12 and 13 and parents trusted me enough to baby sit their kids on vacation while the parents played all day and night-and I was way under paid for the stress I went through taking care of four kids age 2-9.

With my baby sitting money I bought a Gitano racing bike-campy equipped, and I knew my exact networth at age 13.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not for Griz to do this but Sugar brings up a good point here. It depends on the kids. Some kids are mature enough at 12 to handle this responsibility and some are'nt. IIRC, he stated in an earlier post that his wife works a few minutes away from their home. I don't see that it's a big deal if he thinks his kid can handle it....

This coming from the guy that sends his wife to have surgery and then tries to pick up a boy on the street.

I can't wait for him to come in and tell us what a wonderful dad he is. It will happen. The sad thing is, he believes he is. The cheap bastage.

I caught my fish. I cant fish the local rives so I thought I would put my fly rod down and try something new.