[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

hope u like your house

dmarc117

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mortgage guys.....whats an Alt-A loan?

Then there are alt-A loans--the ones you get when you don't submit all the documentation that would be required to qualify for a straight loan. Those are usually chosen by people who have unsteady sources of income--or simply have too little documented income to qualify for a straight loan for the house they want to buy.

We were thinking about purchasing our first home but after examining the market, our finances, etc decided to hold off another year. I'm hoping they are right about prices continuing to slide and also hope rates remain reasonable for a year from now... :D

We were thinking about purchasing our first home but after examining the market, our finances, etc decided to hold off another year. I'm hoping they are right about prices continuing to slide and also hope rates remain reasonable for a year from now... :D

i was thinking the same thing.....now it looks like any savings you get in the depressed housing market might be washed out by higher rates due to risk.

:D

i was thinking the same thing.....now it looks like any savings you get in the depressed housing market might be washed out by higher rates due to risk.

I really wouldnt worry about rates skyrocketing right now. The housing market is a blood bath and they wouldnt help it by raising their rates.

I read something a while back that made alot of sense: it's better to overpay on interest rates than it is on the price of the home. You can always re-fi when the rates go lower, but you can't lower the purchase price of the home. Of course, the rates do play into cash flow and whatever you can afford for a monthly payment.

I read something a while back that made alot of sense: it's better to overpay on interest rates than it is on the price of the home. You can always re-fi when the rates go lower, but you can't lower the purchase price of the home. Of course, the rates do play into cash flow and whatever you can afford for a monthly payment.

True. But it only works for your first home. After that, you are buying and selling in the same market.

True. But it only works for your first home. After that, you are buying and selling in the same market.

Unless you don't mind owning a rental property for a while (in a rising market) or sitting in a rental house (or apartment/condo) for a while in a falling market.

OK, that is a scary reaction from an economist. Glad I like my house, and have a 30 year fixed. :D

Amen on a 30 year fixed brother!!! :wacko:

A buddy of mine got an ARM at 3.5% about 4-5 years ago, and then he went and got his credit screwed up. Now he's one of those millions who the bank won't refinance, and his rate is almost at 7% now from what he told me last. He's looking for another job just to start brining in enough to make his mortgage payment. :wacko::D I feel bad for the guy.

Edited by Big Dogs

Amen on a 30 year fixed brother!!! :D

A buddy of mine got an ARM at 3.5% about 4-5 years ago, and then he went and got his credit screwed up. Now he's one of those millions who the bank won't refinance, and his rate is almost at 7% now from what he told me last. He's looking for another job just to start brining in enough to make his mortgage payment. :wacko::D I feel bad for the guy.

BD, not to pick on your buddy, but I have very little sympathy for anybody in this situation. A 7% loan is still very good from a historical perspective and if somebody bought all the house they could afford based on a 3.5% rate, they need to take a personal finance class or two.

BD, not to pick on your buddy, but I have very little sympathy for anybody in this situation. A 7% loan is still very good from a historical perspective and if somebody bought all the house they could afford based on a 3.5% rate, they need to take a personal finance class or two.

Amen. People have no idea how cheap rates have been ...

That worm is either turning or will turn. if you are not fixed you are going to be paying a lot more ...