[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Endzone Celebrations

DMD

Endzone Celebrations  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer to see when a player scores a touchdown?

• Flip ball to ref and go to sidelines
    • Just something minor - spike the ball perhaps
    • Showboating all the time
    • mostly nothing or minor but on a really big TD showboating is okay

Chad Johnson is vowing to return to his previous ways of celebrating TDs and he's even setting aside money in advance to pay for the fines. He has said that if he scores a TD in week one the entire world will laugh.

What do you think is appropriate or okay? Act like you've been there or adding entertainment value beyond just scoring a TD?

I am typically a purist and rather old-school in most things admittedly and I grew up watching Earl Campbell from my hometown just scoring and then humbly walking back to the sideline. But - I oddly do enjoy watching Chad Johnson act up. Really no one else, just CJ for some reason.

I dont have a problem with the old fashioned spike at all..Dancing and acting out little scenes is too much IMO ..Just handing the ball is cool in its own right and I am good with that..But the big exclamation point old school spike was always good by me and didnt seem like big time showboating

Edited by whomper

I dont have a problem with the old fashioned spike at all..Dancing and acting out little scenes is too much IMO ..Just handing the ball is cool in its own right and I am good with that..But the big exclamation point old school spike was always good by me and didnt seem like big time showboating

+1

Flip it to show class and that you will do it again. Spike it maybe as a blasting in your face exclamation point to your play. Anything else besides that, especially TO and CJ level orchestrated and not emotional reactions, is just lame.

End it all if that's what it has to be.

But - I oddly do enjoy watching Chad Johnson act up. Really no one else, just CJ for some reason.

+1

He is always trying to entertain the crowd and I really don't think it's disrespectful to the game. Throwing autographed stuff to the crowd like Santa, putting with a pylon, proposing to a cheerleader, wearing a terrible towel as a bib while he eats, it's funny. As long as he keeps it fresh and I still laugh, I'm fine with it.

Never been a fan of any kind of celebration break out before the end of the game...(including all that stupid dancing because you made a f'n tackle or a sack)... until then you're just doing your job. 90% of all on field celebrations have nothing to do with entertainment.... they have to do with "look at me, look at me, are I wonnerful or what? I'm bad...oh yeah." :D

:D Flip it and get on with it.

I am typically a purist and rather old-school in most things admittedly and I grew up watching Earl Campbell from my hometown just scoring and then humbly walking back to the sideline. But - I oddly do enjoy watching Chad Johnson act up. Really no one else, just CJ for some reason.

Add another +1. For some reason, it doesn't bug me at all when CJ does it.

Never been a fan of any kind of celebration break out before the end of the game...(including all that stupid dancing because you made a f'n tackle or a sack)... until then you're just doing your job. 90% of all on field celebrations have nothing to do with entertainment.... they have to do with "look at me, look at me, are I wonnerful or what? I'm bad...oh yeah." :D

I agree whole heartedly with the tackle part bolded. I'll take 200 endzone celebrations to get rid of one "ooh look I'm a middle linebacker and I made a tackle" celebration.

If they are creative, I enjoy them. I think they are for the most part in good fun. And when CJ did the 'riverdance' after he scored on Urlacher, that was sheer genius. :D

I really only hate the aforementioned celebratory tackle dances. I truly dislike the Lions own Roy Williams' 'first down' signals after he makes a 7 yard catch.

I have always been a fan of Jerome Bettis but he was a little guilty of celebrating non TD events as well..He came up barking after every first down..Shockey is a bit of a tool that way as well..I loved the massive intensity Michael Irvin brought to the Cowboys but hated the first down celebrations he did..

If they are creative, I enjoy them. I think they are for the most part in good fun. And when CJ did the 'riverdance' after he scored on Urlacher, that was sheer genius. :D

I really only hate the aforementioned celebratory tackle dances. I truly dislike the Lions own Roy Williams' 'first down' signals after he makes a 7 yard catch.

I didnt know about that until I read a thread here a few weeks ago..Absolutely hysterical..T.O doing Ray Rays dance when T.O was an Eagle was pretty funny too

Regardless, Ocho Cinco and Smitty put on a show a few years back, and this is simply my take and I do understand the other view, but it's for the fan's, the butt's in the seats and the majority enjoy it. The Brass, I feel, should not take this away from the guy/gal in the stand who bought the ticket. When Steve Smith hit the ground and started doing the "rowboat" when he torched the Vikes after their "love boat" fiasco that season was,is and will always be funny as hell to me, as I laugh my azz off every time I watch it. I don't think it belongs after a 1yd plunge, but if said plunge is busted up and the said RB breaks it around the end, breaks a tackle....dance young man..dance. My Two-Peace PD.

I LOVE TD celebrations, always have, but they must be done correctly. Most importantly, they cannot come when your team is behind. Secondly, they cannot directly taunt your opponents. If neither of these are the case, TD celebrations can bring a lot of fun to an otherwise intense game. The one thing I cannot stand however, and my favorite player is the worst in the NFL at this, is the sack/tackle/six-yard catch celebrations. How annoying. I wanna choke those idiots. Grow up. Save it for a TD or an instance where you actually make an impact play. Showoff losers.

I question the sense of humor that finds a TD celebration creative, entertaining and humorous.

If this is in regards to my post I agree with you except for when he mocked Ray Lewis dance . Ray is just as bad of a showboat so to see T.O torch them on his first play then do his dance was ballsy and funny

If this is in regards to my post I agree with you except for when he mocked Ray Lewis dance . Ray is just as bad of a showboat so to see T.O torch them on his first play then do his dance was ballsy and funny

Not necessarily yours, whompers, but there are numerous other posts on this thread that do as well. I cant imagine anybody really going to the game, in all the excitement of the play by play, being amused by a players orchestrated "sketch" after a TD. It's all lame showboating I feel, nothing more nothing less.

But that's IMO.

Let's face it guys, in general, the younger you are, the more you will enjoy the TD celebrations. The players perform these TD celebrations with the hope that all the kids on the playground are going to be imitating their own dance, rather than somebody else's. They are for the kids. There was a point where 99% of us loved them. Let the players entertain the kids, and the kid in all of us. If done correctly, it can only enhance the game.

If the scoring team does it as a group, I like it (Smurphs/Hogs, Denver Salute/etc).

The single player doesn't score by themselves.

Sadly that was exactly what they outlawed...

To call CJ an arrogant a-hole is a huge mistake. The guy is a team player, he does what his team expects of him and he is passionate about winning. He is also an entertainer and whether you want to believe it or not, it's not just sports on that screen, it's sports entertainment. As long as he's not spiking a ball off the defender's head, I don't think it should be penalized. The whole point of the game is to score a touchdown. When you do, millions of people go crazy, shouldn't the player and his team be able to celebrate with them? Now if you spike the ball after a 10-yard out pattern, then we have a problem.

Lay off CJ, let him do his thing, let him be "ocho cinco," you know you love it and you shouldn't feel bad about that.

Mac

There was a point where 99% of us loved them.

I am proud to be in the 1% that has never loved them.

"Kid"... fossil... doesn't matter... I am not impressed with celebrations during a game. Makes one think that not only does the player not care about the game, but probably doesn't care about who wins either as long as they get their shot on ESPN.