[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Holmes back in pads

Hat Trick

Priest Holmes Q &A | Running back back in action

By JASON KING

The Kansas City Star

Chiefs running back Priest Holmes donned a helmet and pads Monday for the first time at training camp. RIVER FALLS, Wis. | Chiefs running back Priest Holmes took another step in his comeback attempt Monday when he donned a helmet and shoulder pads for the first time in nearly two years.

Holmes, who hasn’t played since 2005, is still limited to conditioning exercises. He probably won’t resume contact drills for at least two more weeks.

Holmes fielded questions from a group of reporters after the team’s morning workout. As always, his answers were interesting.

Q: A lot of people are still dubious about why you’re even here.

A: “Dubious is a great word. But dedication is a little more defined and concrete. It’s about perseverance and about having a great story to tell.

“We have what’s called ‘Making it rain’ and we have the dog fighting. We have so many things that have cast a negative light on the NFL. So when you have a great story about perseverance, about coming back after 22 long months with no running or lifting at all … it’s a great story to show guys that, regardless of what situation you’re in, you can persevere. This is coming from a guy that’s coming into his 11th year.

“I’m excited about the story we have here in Kansas City about a postseason team with a coach coming into his (second) year, leading us into the postseason once again. There are so many new faces, so much energy. A team with energy allows us to get that push we need in the postseason.”

Q: At what point does this get mundane? You’re apart from the team while you’re running and stretching. Is it frustrating?

A: It’s not frustrating at all. With all the struggles this team has to endure with training camp, the exhaustion, being deprived of sleep, eating the same cafeteria food day in and day out, it’s something that makes it mundane and something that you can get tired of. But with the focus we have and the end goal we have in mind … taking it to Glendale (Ariz., for Super Bowl XLII), that’s exactly where we’re headed. … ”

Q: What do you think your role will be?

A: “It depends. There’s been a lot of speculation. One would be to (set) a good example by making the team again. Getting back out, showing that you can be hit and fall down and get back up and keep running. The expectations this year are (still) in the making.

“It’s great to have y’all out here viewing this greatness that’s about to take place with this team. I’m telling you, it’s a great team. It’s going to make a much-needed impact. Not only for our Kansas City fans, but for our owner and his family after everything that’s happened within the last year.”

Q: What’s your timetable right now as far as getting back out there?

A: “My timetable changes every day. As they see me improve, they believe I can just jump back out there and get in the pads. But it’s still a process.

“I have to recover from 22 months off. I think we can wind it all down within the next 3 1/2 weeks. Slowly get myself back into shells and then get back into action. The biggest thing is taking contact and then continuing to run.”

Q: Was today a big step, getting the shoulder pads and helmet on?

A: “Today was a big step. They say I might want to add an oxygen tank with those pads since it was my first time putting them on.

“Regardless of the struggle, it’s not about the perception of the pain I’m enduring, it’s about the perception of where I’m headed. Glendale is the spot where we’re trying to get to. That keeps me encouraged and helps me get through the struggles and battles I’m going through right now.”

Q: Is your timetable more optimistic than the team’s?

A: “We’ll gauge it around them. Even after all the valuable years I’ve put into my tank, there’s a lot in me still.

“As a PUP (on physically-unable-to-perform list) you’ve got until the third preseason game to make that next decision. But right now with all the progress I’m having … I haven’t had any setbacks despite the pain, the swelling and the joint stiffness. But that’s all secondary to the reason why I’m out here, which is to make this team and help this team be even better.”

34 year-old running back who could potentially get paralzed with a neck hit to his narrowed spinal cord. Makes you wonder if he didn't come back as a favor to the team owner to put the screws to LJ's contract situation. Currently the oldest running back in the league is Warrick Dunn who is TWO YEARS younger than Holmes. I think Curtis Martin recently showed what breaking down with age is all about.

While the interview made Holmes sound like he was in pursuit of the greatest comeback story of all time, I still think it has to do with a favor to the team owner who paid him a ton of cash and didn't really get a complete payback on it.

If he's got his eyes legitimately on the greatest comeback story of all time, he's setting his sights on nothing less than the #1 RB spot in KC. Knowing his age and how tenuous his health is, I can't help but think David has a good point and this is a ploy to put pressure on Johnson. If it is, and Holmes does play - even in a preseason game - gets blown up on a play, and ends up permanently disabled to some extent, how smart would that turn out to be?

Edited by Bronco Billy

If he's got his eyes legitimately on the greatest comeback story of all time, he's setting his sights on nothing less than the #1 RB spot in KC. Knowing his age and how tenuous his health is, I can't help but think David has a good point and this is a ploy to put pressure on Johnson. If it is, and Holmes does play - even in a preseason game - gets blown up on a play, and ends up permanently disabled to some extent, how smart would that turn out to be?

I totally agree with DMD in thinking that this is a plan to help with negotiations with LJ. However, in the slim case where he's legitimately trying to make a comeback, do you think that it's possible that when a player gets around football, teammates, etc. that he doesn't think clearly about the possible repercussions of playing this rough sport to himself? :D

34 year-old running back who could potentially get paralzed with a neck hit to his narrowed spinal cord. Makes you wonder if he didn't come back as a favor to the team owner to put the screws to LJ's contract situation. Currently the oldest running back in the league is Warrick Dunn who is TWO YEARS younger than Holmes. I think Curtis Martin recently showed what breaking down with age is all about.

While the interview made Holmes sound like he was in pursuit of the greatest comeback story of all time, I still think it has to do with a favor to the team owner who paid him a ton of cash and didn't really get a complete payback on it.

Anythings possible really, and theres many who think this, but.......based on this theory do you think he'll get cut then?

If he does make team , and is able to play , how much work does he get ?Wouldn't think he'd exceed 100 carries Can he actually start if LJ holds out when season starts ?Anythings possible, but I doubt it

I can't see him doing much, just read the interview. He hasnt worked out in 22 months.

Yup, this is the key line in the whole article that caught my main attention. Holmes was a work out warrior and if he hasn't worked out in 22 months that says an awful lot.

Edited by Hat Trick

Here's my theory:

1. Priest has not "officially" retired because doing so would mean he might have to pay back the prorated part of his signing bonus, and I believe he is under contract for 2 more seasons.

2. Chiefs made him go to a doctor to find out if he is cleared to play. Doctor said yes. Chiefs told Priest: "You are under contract and must come to camp. If you don't we will cut you and you will not receive money due to you over the next 2 years of your contract" (about $880,000 this year)

3. Priest is all about the money and shows up.

Edited by Chief Dick

Here's my theory:

1. Priest has not "officially" retired because doing so would mean he might have to pay back the prorated part of his signing bonus, and I believe he is under contract for 2 more seasons.

2. Chiefs made him go to a doctor to find out if he is cleared to play. Doctor said yes. Chiefs told Priest: "You are under contract and must come to camp. If you don't we will cut you and you will not receive money due to you over the next 2 years of your contract" (about $880,000 this year)

I'm definately more in line with this thinking than Holmes being a pawn for King Carl and the Chiefs for LJ.

Here's my theory:

He's a man of honor. Honoring his contract.

Yup, this is the key line in the whole article that caught my main attention. Holmes was a work out warrior and if he hasn't worked out in 22 months that says an awful lot.

I think he means he hasn't played football in 22 months....

I want to follow this closely as I do have the 3rd pick in an upcoming draft and if he is gonna take anything away from LJ...well I don't know who I will pick.

I read a quote saying he'd like to play for the Dallas Cowboys.

Yup, he somewhat mentioned it, but it was refuted later. Jerry and Carl have made many a trades however.

With all due respect, I don't think this is a ploy towards LJ at all. I think it's a guy who is under contract as was pointed out, that didn't want to stop playing when he had to, and still thinks he has a shot to play football - whether delusional or not. And I don't think LJ will care one bit about him being back as far as the contract situation is concerned. I think he assumes - rightly or wrongly - that he is the man if he wants to be...although I think he's a bit delusional if he thinks he's gonna work Peterson to a ridiculous contract. I can sure understand football players - especially running backs that take the pounding he has taken the past couple of years and a worse offensive line ahead of him this season - wanting to cash in when the opportunity is hot. They simply have to get theirs NOW, because there is nothing guaranteed in the future of an NFL contract years down the road.