[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sugar Magnolia...

untateve

My dog (winnie-female--aussie shep/lab mix) will be two in November. We've had her since she was 3 months old.

Winnie is crate trained and often goes to her crate to lay down and chill out, particularly if I'm working at my computer or my boys are playing playstation.

My wife and boys started vacation a week ahead of me and I was home alone with Winnie. I didn't crate her during that week. This was essentially the first time she went uncrated for an extended period of time. She didn't chew anything, tear up the house, go to the bathroom--the house was in the same shape as when I left in the morning. I did close the doors to all the rooms so she only had access to the livingroom, dining room, and kitchen.

My wife and I are now disagreeing. She feels that Winnie should be crated when we both start back to work on monday. I'm in favor of not crating her. The crate is availabe to Winnie and on one day when I came home from work while my wife was away, Winnie was asleep in it. I want the crate available to her, but I feel better about not crating her. In your opinion, to crate or not to crate--and why?

As always, thanks for your time.

If Winnie is not destroying the house and can hold it then I see no reason why she can't have the run of the house.

It is often good to test and allow them to earn their freedom by enclosing them in a room they can't do much harm for a few weeks.

Dogs will destroy things from either boredom or stress. Often dogs who all at once have this big house to themselves and to protect can cause stress. Often what I suggest is to gradually increase the time they are alone in the bigger space. This may not work for you with your lifestyle and work life, but that would be one way to do it.

I had one client whose dog destroyed all kinds of valuables and things that could endanger her (she ate an electric razor once). I had them put her in the laundry room and she was fine. She could have chewed the cabinets and even her big bag of kibble was untouched in the laundry room. The owner thought it was cruel to leave her in there and this only lasted a few weeks in the laundry room and she was then allowed the house to destroy again. The thing is the dog felt safer in the laundry room where she was more enclosed, but I couldn't get this across to the owner.

All dogs are different with different stressors and confidence. You just have to watch for signs of stress and if there is, change the routine. By the way, if only gone a few hours and a housetrained dog pees or poops, they are not doing this out of spite, this is a sign of stress.

My feeling is it is very hard on a dog to be confined to something as small as a crate for more than four hours at a time. So, I'd be all for having the full reign of the house if she can handle it.

If Winnie is not destroying the house and can hold it then I see no reason why she can't have the run of the house.

It is often good to test and allow them to earn their freedom by enclosing them in a room they can't do much harm for a few weeks.

Dogs will destroy things from either boredom or stress. Often dogs who all at once have this big house to themselves and to protect can cause stress. Often what I suggest is to gradually increase the time they are alone in the bigger space. This may not work for you with your lifestyle and work life, but that would be one way to do it.

I had one client whose dog destroyed all kinds of valuables and things that could endanger her (she ate an electric razor once). I had them put her in the laundry room and she was fine. She could have chewed the cabinets and even her big bag of kibble was untouched in the laundry room. The owner thought it was cruel to leave her in there and this only lasted a few weeks in the laundry room and she was then allowed the house to destroy again. The thing is the dog felt safer in the laundry room where she was more enclosed, but I couldn't get this across to the owner.

All dogs are different with different stressors and confidence. You just have to watch for signs of stress and if there is, change the routine. By the way, if only gone a few hours and a housetrained dog pees or poops, they are not doing this out of spite, this is a sign of stress.

My feeling is it is very hard on a dog to be confined to something as small as a crate for more than four hours at a time. So, I'd be all for having the full reign of the house if she can handle it.

Thanks for the reply. Over the last few months, we've left Winnie alone, uncrated, for a few hours at a time. When I'm home, before leaving her for the day, I take her on a two mile run (she runs, I bike). This seems to help her. The only time we ever had a problem is when she did not get her run before being left alone.

Thanks for the reply. Over the last few months, we've left Winnie alone, uncrated, for a few hours at a time. When I'm home, before leaving her for the day, I take her on a two mile run (she runs, I bike). This seems to help her. The only time we ever had a problem is when she did not get her run before being left alone.

If destruction is due to boredom, exercise helps a lot-even helps somewhat for stress.

Stuffing kong toys-several and hiding them before you leave helps with stress and boredom. You have to teach them when you are home how to find the kongs before leaving them with the kongs, or they won't learn how to "hunt" for them.

If destruction is due to boredom, exercise helps a lot-even helps somewhat for stress.

Stuffing kong toys-several and hiding them before you leave helps with stress and boredom. You have to teach them when you are home how to find the kongs before leaving them with the kongs, or they won't learn how to "hunt" for them.

Due to an unfortunate apartment life for me, my wife and our zoo, we have to put our puppy in the bathroom (with a crate inside the bathroom) while we're away and at night. The Kongs are awesome. Because she's teething (we got a baby tooth today!) we freeze them. Before we freeze them, though, we stuff them with some kibble, a treat and peanut butter. Takes her quite awhile to get it all out, and by the time she does, she's tuckered out and sleeps.

Due to an unfortunate apartment life for me, my wife and our zoo, we have to put our puppy in the bathroom (with a crate inside the bathroom) while we're away and at night. The Kongs are awesome. Because she's teething (we got a baby tooth today!) we freeze them. Before we freeze them, though, we stuff them with some kibble, a treat and peanut butter. Takes her quite awhile to get it all out, and by the time she does, she's tuckered out and sleeps.

our dog loves her kong toy but she can empty that thing out in 30secs(be it the peanut butter kong or treats)....lately what she does is eats the tip of the treat that extends out of the kong(we put reg. dog biscuits in it) and then waits until we get home and then she picks it up and eats the rest of it :D

Edited by keggerz

our dog loves her kong toy but she can empty that thing out in 30secs(be it the peanut butter kong or treats)....lately what she does is eats the tip of the treat that extends out of the kong(we put reg. dog biscuits in it) and then waits until we get home and then she picks it up and eats the rest of it :D:loco:

Kong makes some treats that are specifically designed for their toys, and those things are nearly impossible to get out without some serious work. Also, try freezing it.

Kong makes some treats that are specifically designed for their toys, and those things are nearly impossible to get out without some serious work. Also, try freezing it.

i know but i am a cheap SOB....but i was also more talking about the kong peanut butter that she can lick out in less then 30 secs

i know but i am a cheap SOB....but i was also more talking about the kong peanut butter that she can lick out in less then 30 secs

Here's what I do: put in 4-5 small kibbles of food, then I get some peanut butter on a spoon and take my finger and get a little down in the Kong core, sort of "mortaring" the kibbles in place. Then a medium sized treat that I have to really force in, and another small layer of peanut butter mortar. Then another few kibbles and peanut butter. All the way to the top until the thing is filled, and filled tightly. Freeze that bad boy for at least several hours. I can be gone for several hours after giving a Kong like this to our teething, high-chewing pup and she's always good. :D

Here's what I do: put in 4-5 small kibbles of food, then I get some peanut butter on a spoon and take my finger and get a little down in the Kong core, sort of "mortaring" the kibbles in place. Then a medium sized treat that I have to really force in, and another small layer of peanut butter mortar. Then another few kibbles and peanut butter. All the way to the top until the thing is filled, and filled tightly. Freeze that bad boy for at least several hours. I can be gone for several hours after giving a Kong like this to our teething, high-chewing pup and she's always good. :D

the freezing part makes it interesting :D

Just google Kong Toy recipes and you will find lots of creative recipes, some you freeze and some you don't, plus how to properly stuff a kong.

I just take big chunks of cheese that are bigger than the Kong hole and push it through. About three chunks of cheese takes my dogs about 30 minutes. I do this 'cause I'm lazy. Many vets feel a dog could choke on the cheese and as they try to suck it out, so to be safe put it in the microwave to melt, and give it to them when it cools.

Be sure to put the Kongs in the dishwasher every few days. They can get pretty raunchy if you don't.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

our dog loves her kong toy but she can empty that thing out in 30secs(be it the peanut butter kong or treats)....lately what she does is eats the tip of the treat that extends out of the kong(we put reg. dog biscuits in it) and then waits until we get home and then she picks it up and eats the rest of it :D

we use t-bonz dog treats, in the medium sized kong. they're triangular and when you jam them in there, they fit perfectly. however, we have a girl dog and boy dog, and the girl steals the boy's kong and hordes them both while the boy runs around whining.