[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Knee situation for Portis

FishFreak

What's the deal with Portis and his chronic knee tendinitis this Summer? This guy seems like he's always banged up no matter what. Anybody have more detail on his injury? Is this just a precaution or a serious red flag? Betts showed he's ready if needed.

My personal take on this... there are certain players in the NFL who don't care to participate fully in Training Camp. Portis is one of those players. Even with his injury history and Betts waiting in the wings, I still think he will be a decent pick this season.

My personal take on this... there are certain players in the NFL who don't care to participate fully in Training Camp. Portis is one of those players. Even with his injury history and Betts waiting in the wings, I still think he will be a decent pick this season.

I concur...

after what happened in the pre-season last year....I wonder if he'll participate in camp or pre-season at all..

Savage and Avernus make excellent points, but if you take Portis, make sure you get Betts. I know this sounds obvious but consider that Washington didn't spend all that money to keep Betts this off season if they didn't have their doubts about Clinton's health.

Savage and Avernus make excellent points, but if you take Portis, make sure you get Betts. I know this sounds obvious but consider that Washington didn't spend all that money to keep Betts this off season if they didn't have their doubts about Clinton's health.

Although your probably right about the health question with Portis, I'm not sure I completely agree with that. Remember SD kept Turner just because he proved himself to be a valuable backup. Maybe they just thought they would be better off with him than hunt for another capable backup, health issue or not.

Remember SD kept Turner just because he proved himself to be a valuable backup.

Betts and Turner have proved to be valuable backups but it's also a testament to the importance placed on the run game... by the Chargers and Redskins.

Both teams want to, and must, run the ball very effectively to do what they want to do on offense. I know that's cliche... all teams want to run the ball. Well, teams have varying degrees to the importance placed on the run game. Some teams are willing to do without, at least temporarily, therefore those teams don't place a backup RB in such high regard.

Portis presents outstanding value for a 2nd round RB. Aside from the freak injuries he suffered last year (the awkward tackle in the preseason and the crown of a helmet he took just in the right spot to break his hand), he's an experienced workhorse that has a nose for the end zone in an extremely run heavy offense.

this is going to be a season of 60/40 between the two.

I have a feeling that you are right - and if you are, Portis owners are going to have to burn a 6th rounder to make sure they get Betts handcuffed to Portis (Betts' current ADP has him going in the mid to late 7th round on average), and then they are probably looking at the 2 of them divvying up about 1700-1800 yds rushing.

That's a situation I'm avoiding unless Portis is sitting there in the mid to late 3rd round.

I have a feeling that you are right - and if you are, Portis owners are going to have to burn a 6th rounder to make sure they get Betts handcuffed to Portis (Betts' current ADP has him going in the mid to late 7th round on average), and then they are probably looking at the 2 of them divvying up about 1700-1800 yds rushing.

That's a situation I'm avoiding unless Portis is sitting there in the mid to late 3rd round.

I'm with you there. Why handcuff just to burn a draft pick that be used elsewhere? I'm growing tired of Portis and his injuries. His body appears to be breaking down. Even when he plays, he seems to be hurting, coming out of games a lot, etc. I'll let somebody else deal with that headache.

my whole thing is....Betts is the one with the injury history...

I've seen him time and time again (before last year) come into a game and have a few explosive carries and then leave the game because of some injury...

he may be another contract year wonder and juiced up so he could recover quicker...

I wouldn't be shocked to see Portis end up the primary ball carrier by week 8 and not the other way around like people are expecting...

I've seen him time and time again (before last year) come into a game and have a few explosive carries and then leave the game because of some injury...

That's funny because that sounds a lot like Portis.

Up until last season, Portis missed 4 games in 4 years. That hardly speaks to a history of injuries over those 4 years especially with the amount of carries he received during that span.

Portis is a TD machine compared to Betts... averaging a TD per 18 carries last season vs. every 61 attempts for Betts.

Betts is the backup. All I've heard regarding the RB rush attempts distribution between Betts and Portis has been opinions (or hunches) from other FFers. Saunders and Gibbs have a history of using primary RBs heavily and until I see, or hear from them, otherwise THEN I'll buy into Betts taking a significant number of Portis' touches. Even last year when Portis was playing at less than 100%, he still did well and was not significantly effected by the presence of Betts.

RBs being taken around the same time as Portis have about the same, if not more, injury baggage... Maroney, Henry, and Benson being the main ones. MJD isn't even a starter and while his starter received a huge contract this offseason, MJD is being taken ahead of Portis.

I have a 2nd overall pick in a non-PPR redraft... I'll gladly take Portis as my RB2 to pair with SJax should Portis fall that far.

Edited by kingfish247

Up until last season, Portis missed 4 games in 4 years. That hardly speaks to a history of injuries over those 4 years especially with the amount of carries he received during that span.

Portis is a TD machine compared to Betts... averaging a TD per 18 carries last season vs. every 61 attempts for Betts.

Betts is the backup. All I've heard regarding the RB rush attempts distribution between Betts and Portis has been opinions (or hunches) from other FFers. Saunders and Gibbs have a history of using primary RBs heavily and until I see, or hear from them, otherwise THEN I'll buy into Betts taking a significant number of Portis' touches. Even last year when Portis was playing at less than 100%, he still did well and was not significantly effected by the presence of Betts.

RBs being taken around the same time as Portis have about the same, if not more, injury baggage... Maroney, Henry, and Benson being the main ones. MJD isn't even a starter and while his starter received a huge contract this offseason, MJD is being taken ahead of Portis.

I have a 2nd overall pick in a non-PPR redraft... I'll gladly take Portis as my RB2 to pair with SJax should Portis fall that far.

IIf you already have Jackson , sure taking taking Portis iis much easier in round 2. But the fact remains is he's been getting a lot of dings RECENTLY (broken hand, bum shoulder and now knee issues). I just can't ignore that and pretend he'll just get right back to being an elite back with Betts in the wings. Yes Betts is a back-up but clearly one of the better RB back-ups in the league that showed he can handle the load and take over if Portis stumbles. This knee tendenitis has been going on since May and he recently visited Dr. Andrews so make your own decisions with caution.

not everything revolves around one season....he's only really been hurt in 2003 and 2006 I believe....

every RB I can think of that is playing has missed a game here and there...

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I am avoiding Portis this year like the plague, unless he falls to a spot as you mentioned where the value is to insane to pass on. I know there are RBs that you absolutely must draft the handcuff for but I hate doing so unless the HC can be had much later in the draft like with Ronnie Brown and Booker, SA and Morris.

Edited by irish

I took Portis at 3.02 in the Huddle Ladder (PeeWee)

I didnt really want to, or plan on it, but at my 2.11 pick all the RB's i wanted were gone, all that was left was Jacobs & Portis, So i took Harrison and grabbed Portis at 3.02 ( figuring ill take the upside)

Then i had to burn 7.02 to get Betts