[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is the best back-up fantasy player in the league?

rai

Hard question to answer since we don't get to see the back-ups play as much and their stats are usually inflated due to garbage time.

I did like the way the question was phrased.

Title : Who's the best back-up fantasy player... (any position?)

Post: ...who should be able to step in and run the ball. (RB only?)

Trick question or obvious answer?

Michael Vick

He's currently a back-up that runs the ball quite well.

Edited by Riffraff

Hard question to answer since we don't get to see the back-ups play as much and their stats are usually inflated due to garbage time.

I did like the way the question was phrased.

Title : Who's the best back-up fantasy player... (any position?)

Post: ...who should be able to step in and run the ball. (RB only?)

Trick question or obvious answer?

Michael Vick

He's currently a back-up that runs the ball quite well.

Ok, you can pick up Vick on waivers and I'll take Betts. Than it won't be so obvious. :D

Betts is good answer at RB. He's at least played when the first team was on the field. Turner really hasn't.

Was expecting a bunch of Reggie Bush responses, followed by some Marion Barber love.

Ricky Williams, although suspended, is a better RB than Ronnie Brown. He's just not right in the head.

Thinking beyond the RB position here:

A guy like WR Henry can step in when Chad or Housh go down and the offense hardly skips a beat.

When he's not in jail or suspended of course. Good football talent with no common sense.

Brian Griese can probably step in decently if Grossman goes down. Probably the same turnover to TD ratio in Chitown, but able to win games.

Unheralded Bobby Engram could step into the shoes of Branch or Hackett/Burleson and not lose much production. Not a fantasy force though.

Betts is good answer at RB. He's at least played when the first team was on the field. Turner really hasn't.

Was expecting a bunch of Reggie Bush responses, followed by some Marion Barber love.

Ricky Williams, although suspended, is a better RB than Ronnie Brown. He's just not right in the head.

A guy like WR Henry can step in when Chad or Housh go down and the offense hardly skips a beat.

When he's not in jail or suspended of course. Good football talent with no common sense.

Brian Griese can probably step in decently if Grossman goes down. Probably the same turnover to TD ratio in Chitown, but able to win games.

Unheralded Bobby Engram could step into the shoes of Branch or Hackett/Burleson and not lose much production. Not a fantasy force though.

Please explain how that is supposed to work - I'm interested.

In terms of fantasy football ... who really cares? If your season rests on hitting backup player that gets vaulted to starter status then it is likely your draft wasn't very good.

I agree with this post.

That being said, some leagues have more than 12 teams and some carry a larger roster than others. In these leagues, some people find it better to carry a player who, if he gets to start, will put up big #'s rather than carry a team's #4 wr..

good point

I recall LJ was a BU in 05 finished with 9 straight 100 yard games and 21 TDs, we have 2x10 team league and both owners of LJ went to the finals

I recommend that your draft strategies from here on out target all the back up players that might come in and excel as LJ did in 2005. Wonder how many championship that will get you.

Ricky is right in the head in many ways but likes smoking pot too much, but then millions in this country do too. In most professions what you do on your time is your business but if the NFL thinks it improves performance they act. A lot of people break laws but aren't suspended for them.

I say Norwwod and this year James and Jacoby Jones.

In terms of fantasy football ... who really cares? If your season rests on hitting backup player that gets vaulted to starter status then it is likely your draft wasn't very good.

That's true but last season I had LJ and Gore, Bulger, Boldin and Walker but having Colston was nice too. It can make a difference in tight leagues.

I recommend that your draft strategies from here on out target all the back up players that might come in and excel as LJ did in 2005. Wonder how many championship that will get you.

I never said all back-ups are good, just is asked who could be the next LJ given a chance?

I'm talking about a player who would be the top-5 pick in a draft if he stepped into the starting line-up.

LJ was such a player.

No QB is since it is unlikely any QB is/should be taken in the first round neither a WR who most likely will still be 2nd or 3rd round picks if they take over for a starter (chris Henry etc..)

The only players who fit the question like LJ are RBs (like LJ)

Edited by rai

I never said all back-ups are good, just is asked who could be the next LJ given a chance?

I'm talking about a player who would be the top-5 pick in a draft if he stepped into the starting line-up.

LJ was such a player.

No QB is since it is unlikely any QB is/should be taken in the first round neither a WR who most likely will still be 2nd or 3rd round picks if they take over for a starter (chris Henry etc..)

The only players who fit the question like LJ are RBs (like LJ)

Yes I understand what your saying ... there are probably any number of players that have the capability to step up and perform but are stuck behind the first stringer. The problem with your strategy is that it is dependant on somebody getting hurt or demoted and there is absolutlely no way to predict how that is going to happen. So if you face a mountain of rocks in which you know there is one ruby what are the odds that the first rock you pick up is the ruby? How about the 2nd rock or the 3rd rock? The 15th rock?

You keep drafting rocks looking for that ruby, I don't think you will win many championships that way.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Yes I understand what your saying ... there are probably any number of players that have the capability to step up and perform but are stuck behind the first stringer. The problem with your strategy is that it is dependant on somebody getting hurt or demoted and there is absolutlely no way to predict how that is going to happen. So if you face a mountain of rocks in which you know there is one ruby what are the odds that the first rock you pick up is the ruby? How about the 2nd rock or the 3rd rock? The 15th rock?

You keep drafting rocks looking for that ruby, I don't think you will win many championships that way.

I fully understand what you are saying, I am just pointing out say you have 4-ish RBs or WRs and you can pick up another equal +/- other player as your last pick and he'll never play since he's 4th on the depth chart, or for the last pick who won't play anyway would it be bad to have a possible LJ or LT-next on the bench?

I fully understand what you are saying, I am just pointing out say you have 4-ish RBs or WRs and you can pick up another equal +/- other player as your last pick and he'll never play since he's 4th on the depth chart, or for the last pick who won't play anyway would it be bad to have a possible LJ or LT-next on the bench?

Obviously if you can actually find that ruby in the mountain of rocks you can reap rewards. The problem is there is no way to identify which rock you draft that may become a ruby mid-season due to an injury to a front line player. So your first obstacle is winning that lottery. Your second obstacle is that you have to keep the rock on your roster until that magical time when he becomes a ruby ... that's a dead roster spot.

Then there is the fact that EVERYBODY believes that Michael Turner is a stud in waiting ... meaning that this player will likely be taken too soon.

So .... you keep drilling for oil on city streets ... I doubt you'll find any.