[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 25 Coaches Poll

Rockerbraves

Sept. 16, 2007

Rank Team (first-place votes) Record Points Last week

1. Southern California (44) 2-0 1,478 1

2. LSU (8) 3-0 1,438 2

3. Florida (7) 3-0 1,368 3

4. Oklahoma (1) 3-0 1,308 5

5. West Virginia 3-0 1,244 4

6. Texas 3-0 1,103 6

7. Wisconsin 3-0 1,098 7

8. California 3-0 1,093 8

9. Ohio State

3-0 1,062 10

10. Penn State 3-0 942 12

11. Rutgers 3-0 863 13

12. Boston College 3-0 754 19

13. Oregon 3-0 702 21

14. (tie) South Carolina

3-0 595 23

14. (tie) Clemson 3-0 595 20

16. Texas A&M 3-0 530 18

17. Virginia Tech 2-1 485 17

18. Hawaii 3-0 404 22

19. Louisville

2-1 383 9

20. Alabama 3-0 345 NR

21. Georgia 2-1 271 25

22. Nebraska

2-1 228 14

23. Kentucky 3-0 168 NR

24. South Florida

2-0 165 NR

25. Missouri 3-0 145 NR

Dropped out

Dropped out: No. 11 UCLA (2-1, lost to Utah 44-6), No. 15 Georgia Tech (2-1, lost to then-No. 19 Boston College 24-10), No. 16 Arkansas (1-1, lost to then-unranked Alabama 41-38), No. 24 Tennessee (1-2, lost to No. 3 Florida 59-20).

Others receiving votes

Others receiving votes: Arkansas 143; Georgia Tech 143; Texas Tech 142; UCLA 122; Arizona State 67; Purdue 40; Michigan State 21; Cincinnati 20; Boise State 14; Florida State 7; Air Force 6; Tennessee 4; Washington 4.

Sets up another top matchup at Tiger Stadium when Spurrier's 14th ranked Gamecocks visit Baton Rouge.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Woo, go Gamecocks! Maybe we can pull the major upset this weekend, but it would take us playing perfect...and LSU screwing up. I'd go to the game, but actually being a college student at Carolina, I can't afford a 300 dollar ticket to Baton Rouge lol.

gonna be a fun year.

I would lump USC, LSU, FLA, OU as all being right there in terms of shaking out at #1 and being in the NC game.

WVU is the wildcard.

I dont think anyone else will be in the mix

If USC, OU, WVU and LSU/FLA go undefeated, SOS will put USC and the LSU/FLA winner in there, I believe. (Big12 and BigEast are down slightly this year vs. SEC and P10 - and forget about the B10+1.) Another controversy is brewing.....

But to be realistic, I'd bet on USC and LSU & FLA losing 1. What'll be interesting is if OU & WVU are the only undefeated - is a 12-0 WVU really better than a 1-loss USC or LSU/FLA? I dont think so. OU would probably deserve it, unless they just barely beat a few teams they should blow out - I mean the B12 really looks down this year to me.

If USC ends up blowing out Wisky (or ?) in the Rose bowl, (sigh)...again, it won't be the end of the world. But of course, our hopes are high right now....

Edited by Coffeeman

If USC, OU, WVU and LSU/FLA go undefeated, SOS will put USC and the LSU/FLA winner in there, I believe. (Big12 and BigEast are down slightly this year vs. SEC and P10 - and forget about the B10+1.) Another controversy is brewing.....

But to be realistic, I'd bet on USC and LSU & FLA losing 1. What'll be interesting is if OU & WVU are the only undefeated - is a 12-0 WVU really better than a 1-loss USC or LSU/FLA? I dont think so. OU would probably deserve it, unless they just barely beat a few teams they should blow out - I mean the B12 really looks down this year to me.

If USC ends up blowing out Wisky (or ?) in the Rose bowl, (sigh)...again, it won't be the end of the world. But of course, our hopes are high right now....

It's a great point. I had USC, Oklahoma, and West Virginia all going undefeated before the season started and I will stick to that. I feel LSU might let up somewhere in the SEC, maybe this weekend against SC or when they go to Bama. Either way, the end of this season should be a great one and once again set up a great debate for a playoff system.

I agree that the polls are uninformative at this early point - but The Tide is back on the list! And hopefully climbing! Alabama is 16 on the "other" list. For me - and you other rabid fans will understand this - college football is fun again!

Polls arn't perfect, but I disagree when you say they arn't informative. There's always a couple of those surprise as well as disappointing teams that either make the early rankings or disappear completely a month into the season. Overall though the preseason and early polls do a pretty decent job of ranking teams based upon players returning, recruiting, scheduling and coaching changes. I feel certain the polls (and rightfully so I might add) also place some emphasis on teams performances over say a three year span and not just the season at hand or last year.

Now that may not seem fair to some, but it's reality. Just ask teams like Boise, Utah, Marshall and Tulane who accomplished the great feat of an undefeated season yet I'm pretty sure weren't ranked very high at the start of those seasons, or a month into the season, and even the following season.

Lets face it, fans may not always like or agree with the early rankings, but it's the next best thing for a sport that doesn't have a playoff.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Texas is over-rated. Their offensive line looks bad, particularly at pass blocking. Their secondary will more than likely get lit up by OU and Texas Tech. Both the O-line and secondary are very young, but if they do somehow mature in the next two weeks, and get by OU (I honestly don't see it happening) then they will be right there as well. I see this Texas team as barely a top 10 team right now, and wish the OU game was later in the season because I do believe they will get better as they year goes along. Like I said they are a young team, and honestly I don't expect them getting out of this year with less than two losses, but watch out for them next year. They should have a legit shot at the title next year.

1) I feel certain the polls (and rightfully so I might add) also place some emphasis on teams performances over say a three year span and not just the season at hand or last year.

2) Now that may not seem fair to some, but it's reality. Just ask teams like Boise, Utah, Marshall and Tulane who accomplished the great feat of an undefeated season yet I'm pretty sure weren't ranked very high at the start of those seasons, or a month into the season, and even the following season.

3) Lets face it, fans may not always like or agree with the early rankings, but it's the next best thing for a sport that doesn't have a playoff.

This isn't complete crap but it's pretty close.

I'll give you 2), sort of. In large part the whole one year wonder thing makes sense with pre-season rankings but...

One year wonders happen in other sports and they're not penalized by premonitions.

1) is just plain silly. In a three year span you can have an entirely different team in college. Hell, going from one year to the next can dramatically change a college team.

And 3) is also silly. The rankings/BCS in general may be the next best thing to a playoff but what happens before a season even starts has absolutely zero to do with a playoff. Case in point, the most impressive team in the country right now is LSU(and yes I watched USC/Neb) yet USC is ranked #1 because that's where they were before the season started. Crap. Some may make the argument that LSU is likely to lose later on so the fact that USC won't likely makes me look like Nostradamus is garbage. Give it a couple weeks at least prior to polls coming out. Hell, at least wait until everyone has played a game.

You want to know why they have pre-season polls? So guys like us will do exactly what we're doing right now.

This isn't complete crap but it's pretty close.

I'll give you 2), sort of. In large part the whole one year wonder thing makes sense with pre-season rankings but...

One year wonders happen in other sports and they're not penalized by premonitions.

1) is just plain silly. In a three year span you can have an entirely different team in college. Hell, going from one year to the next can dramatically change a college team.

And 3) is also silly. The rankings/BCS in general may be the next best thing to a playoff but what happens before a season even starts has absolutely zero to do with a playoff. Case in point, the most impressive team in the country right now is LSU(and yes I watched USC/Neb) yet USC is ranked #1 because that's where they were before the season started. Crap. Some may make the argument that LSU is likely to lose later on so the fact that USC won't likely makes me look like Nostradamus is garbage. Give it a couple weeks at least prior to polls coming out. Hell, at least wait until everyone has played a game.

You want to know why they have pre-season polls? So guys like us will do exactly what we're doing right now.

First off I'm from the South so you forced me to look up Nostradamus. :D

Nostradamus acquired a great reputation as a doctor by treating victims of the plague that ravaged that part of Europe, but he eventually turned more to astrology and metaphysics? :D

Your answer to why they have pre-season rankings is exactly what I meant by the next best thing to having a playoff. It helps hype the early season games. And pleeze don't tell me if we waited a month and USC remains undefeated that they wouldn't be ranked #1.

Edited by Rockerbraves

First off I'm from the South so you forced me to look up Nostradamus. :D

Nostradamus acquired a great reputation as a doctor by treating victims of the plague that ravaged that part of Europe, but he eventually turned more to astrology and metaphysics? :D

Your answer to why they have pre-season rankings is exactly what I meant by the next best thing to having a playoff. It helps hype the early season games. And pleeze don't tell me if we waited a month and USC remains undefeated that they wouldn't be ranked #1.

They might be ranked #1, but at least after a month they would have done something on the field. ANYTHING! And put a gun to my head right now, USC going INTO Lincoln and destroying them is more impressive than LSU destroying a highly overrated team in Va Tech at home. Both impressive, but I give USC the nod there, because I think Nebraska beats Va Tech on any field, and Lincoln is extremely difficult to play.

But so far, of the 3 top teams and their quality wins, after Miami handed A & M their asses last evening, it's fair to say that Oklahoma beat the best of the 3 teams thus far. Again, it's apples to apples at this stage anyway. All 3 teams have a very difficult road ahead. I think USC's road is probably the toughest, just because they go on the road for every tough spot in the Pac 10, while LSU gets Florida at home. The Alabama trip might be a trap though.

They might be ranked #1, but at least after a month they would have done something on the field. ANYTHING! And put a gun to my head right now, USC going INTO Lincoln and destroying them is more impressive than LSU destroying a highly overrated team in Va Tech at home. Both impressive, but I give USC the nod there, because I think Nebraska beats Va Tech on any field, and Lincoln is extremely difficult to play.

But so far, of the 3 top teams and their quality wins, after Miami handed A & M their asses last evening, it's fair to say that Oklahoma beat the best of the 3 teams thus far. Again, it's apples to apples at this stage anyway. All 3 teams have a very difficult road ahead. I think USC's road is probably the toughest, just because they go on the road for every tough spot in the Pac 10, while LSU gets Florida at home. The Alabama trip might be a trap though.

Starting to have my doubts about Nebraska after watching parts of the Ball State game. Like you I have a lot of respect for Nebraska football history, but I'm beginning to think what you see is what you get. A near loss to Ball State, a crush by USC and a very unimpressive win against what looks to be a not so good Wake Forest team. I wouldn't bet too much on the Cornhuskers if they happen to meet Virginia Tech in a bowl game.