[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quick baseball stats question

whomper

I run an rbi league where you draft 5 guys and add their rbi totals for the year against 11 other teams..Highets total wins..If the Mets and Phillies end up having to play a 1 game playoff to decide the division do those stats count towards the players regular season stats ?

Edited by whomper

I run a rbi league where you draft 5 guys and add their rbi totals for the year against 11 other teams..Highets total wins..If the Mets and Phillies end up having to play a 1 game playoff to decide the division do those stats count towards the players regular season stats ?

No, ISMHO. That would be the same as counting playoff games.

That's not true, at least as far as MLB is concerned: in 1998 the Cubs and Giants had to play a tie breaker game in order to advance to the WC berth. Both teams are credited that year with playing 163 regular season games. It certainly isn't counted in the postseason stats.

That's not true, at least as far as MLB is concerned: in 1998 the Cubs and Giants had to play a tie breaker game in order to advance to the WC berth. Both teams are credited that year with playing 163 regular season games. It certainly isn't counted in the postseason stats.

Well, duh, of course it's not a playoff game but in the context of fantasy baseball it's giving the people who have players on those teams an extra game.

I believe this to be true - another example would be the Yanks/Red Sox playoff game - the "Bucky Dent" game ... Dent's HR was I believe credited to his regular season totals ... and the Yanks are shown as having a 100-63 W/L record for the season.

Well, duh, of course it's not a playoff game but in the context of fantasy baseball it's giving the people who have players on those teams an extra game.

So what.... there are also games that get rained out that do not get played if they are not needed.... so teams have only 161 or 160 games played.

Regular season game is a regular season game and should count.

So what.... there are also games that get rained out that do not get played if they are not needed.... so teams have only 161 or 160 games played.

Nope, I just don't agree with it being a regular season game, no matter what MLB records it as. In the context of FB, it shouldn't count. All this is just ISMHO, of course.

eta: I have a bunch of players who could be in tiebreaker games in the final I'm in right now and the FB season still ends tomorrow.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

I would put it in your rules for next year to keep these sort of issues from arising. I personally don't think they should count....

Off the topic, but what software do you use to run the RBI league?

Nope, I just don't agree with it being a regular season game, no matter what MLB records it as. In the context of FB, it shouldn't count. All this is just ISMHO, of course.

eta: I have a bunch of players who could be in tiebreaker games in the final I'm in right now and the FB season still ends tomorrow.

I agree. If a team is short of games then you can average out for the season if needed.

Ahhh.... so everyone has to play the same number of games to make it fair. So if there is a rainout that is not resked due to it not being important enough... well then a game has to be taken from the other teams... is that what you are saying? (I know you aren't...but that is how it plays out.)

Ahhh.... so everyone has to play the same number of games to make it fair. So if there is a rainout that is not resked due to it not being important enough... well then a game has to be taken from the other teams... is that what you are saying? (I know you aren't...but that is how it plays out.)

That's one way of looking at it. Another is that a rainout is an equal hazard for everyone, known at the start of the season. Generally they are all made up. Tiebreaker games usually only become a real possibility right at the end of the year and will definitely add an extra game for some players.

The point about rainouts is that they're much the same as days when your guys sit or are hurt or there's a doubleheader so your guy gets extra ABs. Specifically adding a game after the expected end of the season is not in the same category, ISMO. Again - Yahoo leagues shut down on a specific date - Sunday, whether or not there's a tiebreaker. Why would Whomper be different?

I would put it in your rules for next year to keep these sort of issues from arising. I personally don't think they should count....

Off the topic, but what software do you use to run the RBI league?

We use yahoo..We make rbis the only thing that can possibly get you a point. See the below settings for how it is set up..As far as the issue ..We dont have a rule in place because as is customary in many leagues things arise that arent common..They get addressed .. and they become a rule the next year..The way I handled this is I told the guy if MLB counts it so will I..This will go against me..I am tied for 2nd place which is a 400 dollar prize..First place is wrapped up already..The guy I am tied with has David Wright. DBaxx..check out the settings..We draft 7 and I count the best 5..No trades or waivers..You use the best 5 from the 7 you draft

Value

League ID#:

League Name: North Bergen RBI league

Password:

Season Type: Full

Draft Type: Offline Draft

Draft Time: Thu Mar 29 12:50am EDT

Max Teams: 12

Scoring Type: Points Only

Player Universe: All baseball

Max Moves: 7

Max Trades: No trades allowed

Trade Reject Time: 0

Trade End Date: August 12, 2007

Waiver Time: No waivers

Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports

Trade Review: League Votes

Post Draft Players: Free Agents

Max Games Played: 162

Max Innings Pitched: No maximum

Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow

Start Scoring on: Sunday, Apr 1

Roster Positions: Util, Util, Util, Util, Util, Util, Util

Stat Categories: RBI

Stat Modifiers: RBI (1)

Edited by whomper

That's one way of looking at it. Another is that a rainout is an equal hazard for everyone, known at the start of the season. Generally they are all made up. Tiebreaker games usually only become a real possibility right at the end of the year and will definitely add an extra game for some players.

The point about rainouts is that they're much the same as days when your guys sit or are hurt or there's a doubleheader so your guy gets extra ABs. Specifically adding a game after the expected end of the season is not in the same category, ISMO. Again - Yahoo leagues shut down on a specific date - Sunday, whether or not there's a tiebreaker. Why would Whomper be different?

Since we draft 7 and use our best 5 (2 throwaway players for busts and injuries) I use the Yahoo site for all of the stats but evey sunday I send an email with the true totals which is the totals minus the 2 players that dont count..Yahoo adds up and counts all 7 so we use yahoo to accumulate our stats but my manual update once a week is the official one..So if yahoo stops on sunday and there is a game monday we will still count it if MLB does

Edited by whomper

And players generally don't play 162 games. I think I would count it as it is a part of the regular season.

I agree with th amjority here, it should count.

I was at Shea today with my kids, what a game. Mets romp, benches clear twice, and Maine takes a no-no into the 8th. Great time.

What happens if the Mets, Phillies and Padres all tie (a very real possibility)? Mets and Phillies play Monday to determine who wins the East - does the loser of that game then play the Padres in a one-game playoff for the wild card? Or is the Monday loss attributed to their regular season record, and therefore the Padres get the wildcard?

I think it's the latter, not sure though.

Well, there might be a controversy in HOTD come Monday.

I dont see why ? HOTD games traditionally end on sunday ..Even though the finals is 2 weeks it should still end on sunday

I dont see why ? HOTD games traditionally end on sunday ..Even though the finals is 2 weeks it should still end on sunday

Right....different scenarios. HotD has a fixed game length, where this is RBIs for the regular season. different games being played. HotD championship should be decided tomorrow.

Although probably not in the spirit of the game (ie "regular season stats count") the rules as posted above state a max of 162 games played - one could read that to mean that playoff & world series games count as well, up until the point where an individual player has appeared in 162 games. So, if 1 of your players has only appeared in 160 games as of the end of the regular season, his RBI stats in the 1st 2 games he plays in during (for example) the NLCS could also count.

Just food for thought, to toss a little more gasoline onto the fire.

Edited by ts