[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parenting lingo that drives me nuts

Chief Dick

We have friends that have a 6 month old. We go over their place to play poker every other Saturday night. If I hear "Honey, how did she go down?" Or "Can you put her down for me?" One more time.....

Since when is it ok to use a term otherwise used for disposing of sick/old/damaged pets to describe putting your children to bed?

We have friends that have a 6 month old. We go over their place to play poker every other Saturday night. If I hear "Honey, how did she go down?" Or "Can you put her down for me?" One more time.....

Since when is it ok to use a term otherwise used for disposing of sick/old/damaged pets to describe putting your children to bed?

Yeah, I hate that one too.

Will you be more disturbed when he starts asking his daughter's boyfriends that first question in 16 years?

overtire

o·ver·tire /ˌoʊvərˈtaɪər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[oh-ver-tahyuhr] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used without object), verb (used with object), -tired, -tir·ing.

to tire to the point of exhaustion; tire out.

[Origin: 1550–60; over- + tire1]

Perfectly valid word. It simply means tired to the point of exhaustion, as opposed to just feeling sleepy.

Actually, it's used in quite a few sleep books for newborns/infants. It stems from excessive stimulation that keeps your child awake, consequently they can't sleep and become fussy for long periods at a time.

Yeah, you may hate the word, but the situation exists. It's terrible - you want them to calm down, lay down, and they'll stop crying and sleep, but they just won't.

In many ways, caring for a baby is like dealing with a woman.

Took the family down to the beach last weekend... I swear to god I turned my back on the 4 yr. old for a brief second to check-in and he set off the fire alarm...

w-t---f sort of beach has a fire-alarm? Did you take your family to go swimming in the Cuyahoga River or something?