[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is this foul?

Scooby

:D

Sounds like BS. Dude needs to be more careful, and I don't think any commish in any of my leagues would allow that.

I agree totally. If you are old enough to play these games you should know better than to write the wrong name down. I always double check all my postings to our bid board because I know I will be held to whomever I bid on.

I agree totally. If you are old enough to play these games you should know better than to write the wrong name down. I always double check all my postings to our bid board because I know I will be held to whomever I bid on.

And that's the point. Double check your waiver bids and your starting lineups and your draft selections and every other damn thing like you should.

I could go either way on this one :D.

Cutthroat league and I guess folks would scream about it. Friends and family, let it go.

As a matter of fact, I preselected my first round this year in a BOTH league (like any good owner would do to keep the draft moving). I accidentally selected Steven Jackson - RB CAR instead of RB STL. Our co-commish realized the mistake and stopped the draft until he could contact me.

Come to think of it, both players have had relatively similar years :D

I think, as long as the mistake didn't start a chain reaction, everyone should chill. For instance, if somebody else had a bid in for Fargas that same week and got him because of the mistake, it's too late. Dude is ass out and has to deal with the mistake.

In this situation, nobody is really getting "screwed" if the commish allows the guy to fix his mistake. Even the OP who wants Fargas isn't getting screwed because she's simply not going to be able to get a guy that apparently wouldn't have been there for her anyway. At least that's how I understand it. If I'm missing some wrinkle about this situation, let me know.

However, if this is just about teaching some dude a lesson about consequences, then FF is a rather petty forum to do so. Even if it's a big money league, doesn't mean that you have to be a dick about it. Like Puddy's example, drafting the wrong Steven Jackson or Ricky Williams a few years ago, it's just a game, not a pissing match.

Reason #1 for not standing for the commish shannigans: It's a big $ league. When money is at stake, you can't just fly by the seat of your pants. Things have to be as black & white as humanly possible. This situations strays into about as gray an area as it gets.

Reason #2 for not standing for the commish shanningans: Owners have to assume some responsibility for their actions. This isn't a "Steven Jackson STL/Steven Jackson CAR" mistake. The guy screwed up & took the wrong guy. He has to live with that. EOS.

Reason #3 (and most important) for not standing for the commish shanninigans: You have now established a terrible precedent that every other owner in the league can rightly expect the same consideration. "Did I put Bobby Wade? Oh, I meant Patrick Crayton. Oh, and it doesn't matter that he was awarded to another team - I meant to put Crayton and I should get him. After all, you changed it out for the other guy a couple of weeks ago..."

How a commish can do something like that in a $$$ league & still maintain any credibility goes well beyond my comprehension. How other owners aren't roasting the commish on a spit does as well.

Edited by Bronco Billy

If Scooby had said he clicked on the wrong name then I could see how the mistake could have been made. Still the guy should be more careful. But he didn't, he typed the name in. I don't see how someone could make that mistake.

Reason #1 for not standing for the commish shannigans: It's a big $ league. When money is at stake, you can't just fly by the seat of your pants. Things have to be as black & white as humanly possible. This situations strays into about as gray an area as it gets.

Reason #2 for not standing for the commish shanningans: Owners have to assume some responsibility for their actions. This isn't a "Steven Jackson STL/Steven Jackson CAR" mistake. The guy screwed up & took the wrong guy. He has to live with that. EOS.

Reason #3 (and most important) for not standing for the commish shanninigans: You have now established a terrible precedent that every other owner in the league can rightly expect the same consideration. "Did I put Bobby Wade? Oh, I meant Patrick Crayton. Oh, and it doesn't matter that he was awarded to another team - I meant to put Crayton and I should get him. After all, you changed it out for the other guy a couple of weeks ago..."

How a commish can do something like that in a $$$ league & still maintain any credibility goes well beyond my comprehension. How other owners aren't roasting the commish on a spit does as well.

Honestly, it might be a big $$$ league (actually, that is quite relative) but it's still a game. Once again, no harm no foul. Your reason #3 doesn't come into play in the rationale I gave above because you are implying a mistake that caused a chain reaction. In that case, it's an easy call, dude who screwed up gets no help.

Also in this situation, it is abundantly clear that the "offender" was not taking advantage of the rules. He wasn't saying he meant to start this dude not that dude after the player went off. He wasn't saying that he didn't mean to pick up someone different after learning that day his first choice got hurt. Likely, he probably wanted "that Justin dude" from OAK and grabbed the wrong one. No events transpired between the mistake and the correction. Nobody in the league was effected short of scooby having an unwarranted sense of luck that Fargas would be there the following week. However, she was not in any position to act on it, so it doesn't really matter.

I think it is the role of the commish to look at situations and act fairly, not just be a robot. I think any reasonable commish can tell the difference between someone grabbing the wrong Justin off the same team and Patrick Crayton vs Bobby Wade.

Wow.

Edited by detlef

If I follow the sequence of events, the owner notified the commish last Friday that he had made a mistake - before Jordan got hurt on Sunday and Fargas went off. Given that noone else took Fargas in the waiver period, and given that it does appear to be an honest mistake (as someone else mentioned, who would take Justin Griffith?), I don't have a problem with what the commish did here. I actually don't see it as being all that different from Puddy's Steven Jackson situation.

I'd be curious to know if this league has a FCFS free agency period after waivers are processed - if so, then presumably the owner coulda' dropped Griffith and picked up Fargas last Friday anyway for as little as a buck.

And finally, if an owner was gonna' complain about this, the time to do so was last Friday when the commish made this decision (assuming it was communicated to the league), not this week after Jordan got hurt and Fargas tore up the Dolphins.

If I follow the sequence of events, the owner notified the commish last Friday that he had made a mistake - before Jordan got hurt on Sunday and Fargas went off. Given that noone else took Fargas in the waiver period, and given that it does appear to be an honest mistake (as someone else mentioned, who would take Justin Griffith?), I don't have a problem with what the commish did here. I actually don't see it as being all that different from Puddy's Steven Jackson situation.

I'd be curious to know if this league has a FCFS free agency period after waivers are processed - if so, then presumably the owner coulda' dropped Griffith and picked up Fargas last Friday anyway for as little as a buck.

And finally, if an owner was gonna' complain about this, the time to do so was last Friday when the commish made this decision (assuming it was communicated to the league), not this week after Jordan got hurt and Fargas tore up the Dolphins.

In all fairness, I believe all this happened after the Dolphins game. However, obviously nobody else put a bid in for Fargas anyway or he would have been awarded to that person and the mistake would not have been able to be undone.

In my main big $ league, we have $100 "psuedo dollars" to bid on free agents. Once you use up your $$, well, you're SOL. I am a Lamont Jordan owner and last week opted to p/u Kenton instead of worring about Lamont's back-ups. I figured (correctly) that someone would overpay for Dominic Rhodes. I also thought about Fargas, but tried to give it one more week before making a move. A guy submitted his bids by Wednesday evening deadline and asked for and received Justin Griffith (RB-Oak). I was happy that happened, thinking I had dodged a bullet and would have my chance at him this week if I so desired. Well on Friday evening last week, he called and said he meant to get Justin Fargas, and just wrote in his e-mail Justin Griffith by accident. The commish gladly accepted the excuse and gave him Fargas after the free agents were in and the deadline was over. Is this right?

detlef - rereading the initial post, I'm confused as to why you think this all happened after the Dolphins game. :D

detlef - rereading the initial post, I'm confused as to why you think this all happened after the Dolphins game. :D

Because she said, "last week I picked up Keith rather than worrying about Jordan's back-ups." Last week was after the Miami game. Beyond that, why would Rhodes and Fargas get picked up prior to Jordan going down? I understand handcuffing but that would be pretty extreme in any league who's rosters are less than 20 players.

Frankly, one thing that is not getting mentioned is why Scooby thought she could get away with not bidding on either Rhodes or Fargas just because they were going into a bye week. That is a mistake and one she's hoping to get a second chance on because somebody else accidentally put the wrong name in.

Frankly, one thing that is not getting mentioned is why Scooby thought she could get away with not bidding on either Rhodes or Fargas just because they were going into a bye week. That is a mistake and one she's hoping to get a second chance on because somebody else accidentally put the wrong name in.

Ding ding ding

:D See post #14, page 1 of this thread.

Because she said, "last week I picked up Keith rather than worrying about Jordan's back-ups." Last week was after the Miami game. Beyond that, why would Rhodes and Fargas get picked up prior to Jordan going down? I understand handcuffing but that would be pretty extreme in any league who's rosters are less than 20 players.

:D My bad, my thinking is off a week, forgot that Oakland had a bye this past weekend and the Miami game was the weekend before that.